What's On Your Mind Today?

Options

Replies

• LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I'm probably not much help either but my thinking was more towards what @biketheworld said though she said in a much gentler way than I would have managed. It is unfortunate that the holidays focus so much on food instead of family, friends and even doing things to help those less fortunate.

Are you not having these treats because they're unhealthy or too caloric and won't fit into your plan. I would examine why you feel deprived and cranky. Is it a case of feeling left out? I liked what @BMcC9 said about trying to make it more about the process of creating together. Ideally in smaller amounts than in the past to limit the window of temptation.

On another note ... I've never understood sugar cookies. Even when I was a kid and liked sweets I always thought they were the most boring tasteless cookies ever. Give me dark chocolate bourbon balls any day of the week! :p
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    Important news just discovered on another of my bookmarked discussions ...Bulk Editing of Food Diary .. How To on iOS and android devices!
    From the School of Head Smack:

It’s always driven me crazy that I couldn’t bulk edit my food diary when I changed plans (I sometimes log as far as a week in advance.)

I often put in a meal that has ten or twelve ingredients, or have to change serving size on all. That means I have to delete every entry (swipe left to delete) to correct portions or replace with new meal.

Well today I accidentally discovered how to do it easily and it’s via the honking big EDIT button at the top of the page.

Simply hit the EDIT button (smacks head yet again!)….
    xh49dl99vr4n.jpeg

…..and edit as needed, quickly and efficiently (may add a head bang or two here)
    u9hnooz16sti.png

Duh duh double DUH!

How did I never notice this button before? Familiarity breeds contempt, old dog new tricks etc etc etc.

Hoping this will help some other numpty like moi.

🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

NB: for Android users, the "Edit" button is a little pencil icon in the upper right, instead of the word "edit" in the upper left like on iOS. Which I *did* see before right this very second, but never bothered to tap on it to see what it was, maybe I assumed it was like...a quick-access Notes button? Idk. But it is indeed the Edit feature. Heck.

Next you'll tell me there's a way to copy the whole day at once, or use recipes as ingredients in other recipes.
    Lietchi wrote: »
    NB: for Android users, the "Edit" button is a little pencil icon in the upper right, instead of the word "edit" in the upper left like on iOS. Which I *did* see before right this very second, but never bothered to tap on it to see what it was, maybe I assumed it was like...a quick-access Notes button? Idk. But it is indeed the Edit feature. Heck.

Next you'll tell me there's a way to copy the whole day at once, or use recipes as ingredients in other recipes.

Pencil button, check mark at the top to select the whole day and then tap on the the dots and you'll see 'copy to date' as an option 😉

Please let me (and all of us) know if there is a website counterpart .... I don't use either phone app, and I might not be the only one.

I use the website on my iPad and there is are food/exercise buttons (highlighted) on the home page (top photo) It takes you to the food page, (bottom photo) where I can edit/copy/paste previous entries. I do prelog a week ahead sometimes, although that is easier on the app, as you can copy paste a whole day at a time. It's useful for meals which you have often. E.g. I have the same breakfast almost every day. Quick Tools enables you to copy to/from a specified date.

nxu0sa6xfhnt.jpeg
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,727 Member
    Options
    @Caroline_slowandsteady – I’m afraid I have no answers for you.

I recognise the scenario @biketheworld painted – I also baked cakes, cooked food specially for the children, had cupboards of treats and my daughter is now seriously overweight. Whether from the association of food = love or from the efforts I made to introduce her to the idea of dieting when she started getting chubby in her teens. Could I have handled it better?

I had a husband who was much bigger – taller and muscular and sporty- than me and two growing children. I yo-yo’d constantly and was probably not a good role model for my daughter, who, as mentioned above, has been overweight since her teens and is now seriously obese.

Perhaps when this festive season is over and before the next event, you can sit down as a family and discuss what you should do next time – like @BMcC9 suggested – look at what is important and agree on a way forward.
  • slimtastesbetter
    slimtastesbetter Posts: 7,996 Member
    Options
    @ideas2 so true!
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,367 Member
    Options
    Sooo about this "base your Daily Intake Number on your TDEE" thing ....
    I am:
    • Female
    • 63 yrs old
    • medium bone-frame
    • 5ft 2 in
    • sedentary computer-based job (2 yrs to retirement)
    • currently 143.9
    • aiming for maintenance range ~ 135=>138 (for now)

According to the TDEE calculator that we were pointed to in the introduction to Dec 9, my target TDEE to stay where I am is 1393, and for me to maintain 138 would be 1388 (pre-any exercise credit calories)

If I bring myself down to ~ 1250 cals (pre-fitbit activity credits) does that seem to be a reasonable setting? As it stands the last few days, I have had to push to eat UP to the 1300 I was currently set at, so I don't think it is going to be a strain.

On weekends, and holidays I tend to sleep in, which leads to "inadvertent intermittent fasting" (trying to eat the same amount of calories in a shorter length of time) and I have started my Winter Break holidays now - so I have three straight weeks of that ahead (and we have a rather limited social schedule, so if the Christmas Season goodies are not bought by us and brought into the house, events that feature them are slim outside The Day Itself with a special occasion dessert). And I don't want to feel I "aught to eat the catch-up amount" at the end of the day, when I really don't actually want it.

Does my reasoning make sense? When I do have activity-credits, I aim to leave a minimum of ~100 uneaten if I have earned more than that. I am not a heavy-duty exerciser, Mostly 6000 -> 10 or 12000 steps in a day.

• LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9

I think if you stay right around 1250 you should be good. Your weight loss rate will be slow but it should be steady. I base that on my own 5'3" (small boned) currently at ~120lbs. I'm still trying to get about 112lbs which will take slightly < 1200 for an extended period of time.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,803 Member
    Options
    remember that TDEE cals take exercise into account already. So if your TDEE is 1400 that is not a base # plus exercise credits. Also, the calculator takes several weeks to give a valid # because of that. @BMcC9 I agree with LBC that 1250 will keep you on a downward trend. My thoughts are to stick with that and keep inputting data to the calculator for 6 weeks. That will give you a better idea of your TDEE.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Thanks to both of you. I have all of Novembers weight data I can plug into that spreadsheet to give me a running 6 wk start. The only confusing part (to me) is .., Does this mean I enter the MFP NET cals eaten, or ALL cals eaten?
    • THERE WERE WEEKS WHERE I WAS MUCH MORE ACTIVE AND DOING 12000 to 1500 steps consistently every day
    • Fitbit doesn't start to give me ANY exercise / activity credits in MFP until AFTER a certain lag between what activity I earned (aka not sitting in a chair) and what I enter MFP as having eaten.
    • I think it is at LEAST a 500 cal difference, but I can check. That degree of lag might even be changeable in the Fitbit setup
    • I never enter MFP-exercise except for "1 minute walking" after using my exergame or walked outside, so that fitbit decides "I exercised today" (which gives no net change in total exercise credits; just shifts 4 calories off the Fitbit line and onto a new line)

So on days where I ate more than the original goal set at the time, it was because I had WAY more extra calories "in the pot" after that, and my MFP net was barely braking 1000 (and I wouldn't eat them all back - MOST times IF I ade any, only just enough to get the other side of the goal, and there would still be significant amounts left.

Or am I overthinking this? I have been known to do that ..... but once I understand how my spreadsheet parameters work, I am good at detaching myself from "personal data", looking at it as belonging to "someone similar to myself", and basing plans on what the data tells me.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,803 Member
    Options
    All cals.
  • ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I am confused about how to change the settings in MFP for my TDEE. I recently got a FitBit and have it synced to where it adds my actual exercise. I can find the part under goals where I can tell MFP what I want my calorie goal to be (I am using the set in grams part) but I haven´t been able to find where I tell it how active I am. Does it not need this when it is getting all my activity data from my FitBit? Right now I also have marked the box telling it not to charge me negatives for less exercise than expected--- can you explain this enough to me to allow me to know if that is the correct setting?

I am trying to figure how to set this thing up to help me achieve around a 500 calorie goal per day.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    All cals.

Got it!
  • BMcC9
    edited December 2021
    Options
    ideas2 wrote: »
    I am confused about how to change the settings in MFP for my TDEE. I recently got a FitBit and have it synced to where it adds my actual exercise. I can find the part under goals where I can tell MFP what I want my calorie goal to be (I am using the set in grams part) but I haven´t been able to find where I tell it how active I am. Does it not need this when it is getting all my activity data from my FitBit? Right now I also have marked the box telling it not to charge me negatives for less exercise than expected--- can you explain this enough to me to allow me to know if that is the correct setting?

I am trying to figure how to set this thing up to help me achieve around a 500 calorie goal per day.

There is a Fitbit Users Group https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

They might have your answers in the FAQ section. (worth checking, anyway!)

If you go to MY HOME (beside the FOOD and EXERCISE tabs) and the MY HOME / GOALS subgroup, you can select "Guided Setup" On that page is the 4 levels of choice (sedentary through very-active) that would best describe your NON-EXERCISE life. There is a SEPARATE second section for your usual exercise routine (times per week / approx duration, etc) Between the two, MFP sets up a built-in deficit related to how much you say you want to burn per week.
    Below is a copied image that explains in detail the formula for how MFP "picks a number of calories". Keep in mind that MFP ALREADY builds in the indicated degree of deficit ahead of time (which - IF I am understanding correctly - TDEE doesn't and you build in yourself if you are out to shed rather than maintain (?) Please someone-who-knows, confirm or correct that so that @ideas2 is using correct info.