Santa Sprint 2021 Challenge!

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
edited December 2021 in Social Groups
There's a statistic that's always going around that something like 25% of people will gain weight between Halloween and New Year's. It's Holiday season. In 2021. Another MONSTER of a year. We're busy with work and school (regular or virtual). With all the stress and uncertainty it's easy to just say to heck with it and cave. And wake up on New Year's Day and looking in the mirror, unhappy with what extra weight we've gained. It happens to the best of us.

Last month we focused on the basics in an effort to avoid gaining during a hectic time of year. But many of us managed to hit our goals and not gain. Some of us even lost a few pounds, and/or gained insight into our own patterns when faced with pressure.

Planning ahead and keeping an eye on the basics are two of the most important focal points if we want to keep on the up and up in the face of all the junk and goodies rampant this time of year.

This month there's lots more treats around. And maybe some more stress. This month we are again going to focus on the low-carb basics. Yes, again. :lol: They really are so important to success. And keeping tabs on them reinforces good habits that will serve us through our weight loss journeys and beyond into Maintenance Land.

We are going hardcore and going to sprint for 31 days! We'll be Nose-to-the-grindstone, pre-planning, LC bada$$es!
x69c43gbdy8r.jpg

Some people choose to handle this time of year completely on-plan, supplementing low-carb recipes for all our bad-ol' favorites.

This may not be realistic for some. After all, there are many temptations in our faces this month. And a lot of celebrations. What I have done in the past was pick 1 or 2 events that were most important, enjoy them that day, and the next day was immediately back on track. No guilt, but no excuses. Every other time, I planned ahead. Eat before going to a carby event or bring plan-approved goodies. I actually lost weight in December of 2014. It can be done. Every other year I have easily maintained.

You can pick either strategy, but in this challenge monitoring our plan Basics and becoming a Master Planner are what makes the difference.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

I really can't parrot that cliché formula enough. Because it's true.

Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and/or beginning weight, or if you are just planning to maintain through the month, or have NSVs to achieve, check-in daily or weekly with how well you did.

The Basics:
Planning ahead!!!
Staying under carbs
Staying under calories
Logging and measuring
Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
Getting enough water
Planning ahead!!! Oh, wait. I said that already? Yes, I frickin' did. Because this is the holidays! You must!

Share recipes, problems, thoughts.
So tie your sneakers tightly folks and prepare to own the Santa Sprint!
We are DETERMINED to maintain, and maybe even lose, this year.
We are DETERMINED to not let December run rough-shod over us, right?
We CAN do this.
2xam6brugx9d.gif
DO THA THING! :wink:

Replies

• NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Thank you Baconslave! We CAN do this!!

Starting weight 8/26/21 - 214
    Current weight 12/1/21 - 186
    End of year Goal 12/31/21 - 179 (Or lower!)

Bout the only good thing about last month is that I slipped under 190 and at the end of the month, I was still under 190!! So Yay! Turkey Day kicked my butt though. My body is still trying to recover. After 3 months of eating low carb/keto, I remember why I am doing this!

Yes, to lose weight of course. But I am 59. Most of my 50's I've been in pain. Arthritis, what have you. Ached to get up in the morning. The last 3 months? No pain. All that inflammation was gone. Since Thanksgiving? Pain is back. And my weight has been going up and down like crazy! I had hoped to be 184 by now, but that didn't happen.

This feeling is enough for me to avoid carbs as much as possible. It's really not worth it to me. I like being able to move freely and without pain.

So here's to looking ahead and not back!!
    We CAN do this thing!!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Nov 1st I was 170, today I'm 168.5 and I'll take it!. I need to focus on movement more than food this month. That's where my mental challenge lies. I have everything I need, just have to avoid sitting on the couch at all after work. Maybe if I clutter it up with stuff it won't look appealing LOL.

Seriously, my food has been great for a couple months now. Logging faithfully or even when not, I've managed to stick to my meal plan.

So I need intentionally workout 6 days a week to continue good health and improve my energy level. I have standing activities on Sundays and Mondays. After completing this post I will add some reminders to my work calendar and some alarms to my phone to get moving. Feeling pretty determined today.
  • zeke449
    zeke449 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this! My husband and I both used covid to focus on eating low carb and working out. He lost 100 pounds and I lost 35. We have been in the process of moving and during the rental months and move totally lost focus and gained a fair amount back. We are settled now and no excuses.... We can all do this! I agree with the prior comments - my doctor told me that she has seen the difference in my blood work and overall health when I do the low carb.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I've had a hard time logging and dropped out of some challenges in the past because of it, but I've been consistently logging lately and am committed to it again, so I'm going to join.

No weight loss goal or anything too complicated, just net carbs under 75 g, and do something active every day, and get the Apple rings closed. I'm also going to be tracking sleep, as my sleep has been consistently horrible most of the year and I'm going to really work on it, and whether I log (which I have to if I'm going to track the carbs) and journal (something I've recently gotten back to that helps me enormously).
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm in...current weight 160...goal end of year weight 154...aggressive, and who knows what's possible, but that's the plan...10 min morning workout followed by 5 min of stretching...running or cardio at lunch...weights in the evening...calories at poverty every day except already defined maintenance days to cover celebrations, and always always track the food every single day!!!
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    I am currently 242. I am starting a 90 day zero carb cycle, so the first 30 days will be in December. That means 0 g of carbs.. no eggs or cheese even.. just meat, fats, and water. 86% fat, 14% protein.

So my goals are:

1) stick to zero carbs plan.

2) lose 10 lbs. get down to 232.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Back to the basics- works for me! I have a good exercise routine down and I’m fairly good on my food choices but I really want to break the habit of snacking when I’m not hungry. So that will be my focus- redirect those inner thoughts into some thing more productive to avoid adding calories to my daily budget. I’m turn, stay within those calorie goals each day. 3 stinking pounds to goal- can I do it this month??
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Yesterday's goals:

Net carbs = 33, so well within my goal.
    Moving every day: did yoga and a little at home spinning, and closed my rings (or would have except my watch's batteries died early so technically not quite my move goal, but I moved a bunch after that).
    Journaling: yes.
    Sleep: sigh, not great.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are a fantastic place for clothes when you are between sizes, not too much money to get a whole new wardrobe when it's used, and you can just donate it back when you are done with that size!

yesterday was a great poverty calories day for me, including most of the exercise...I missed the morning 10 min, but that's not huge, and it was so nice to run at lunch, gorgeous day outside...I squeezed in the evening weights even though time was tight because I'm also in the middle of a kitchen renovation and yesterday the hardware got it's first coat of paint while the counters got their second coat of base paint...busy, but it's always like that, not a reason to neglect self care and good health!!!
  • lemurcat2
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Yesterday's goals:

Net carbs = 37, so well within my goal.
    Protein (I meant to include a protein goal of at least 100 g)=107, 132 yesterday.
    Moving every day: did yoga and pilates plus a walk, and closed my rings.
    Sleep: pretty good finally, and I feel so good as a result!

Unfortunately I have an ankle that has been off and on sore and it is acting up, so I hope that doesn't pose a problem today -- the plan is to do some weights and spinning. I expect carbs to be higher than my goal today, as I have a goodbye lunch for a close co-worker and there won't be a lot of good choices (and maybe dessert which I haven't decided about yet). I decided that for a few special occasions (of which this counts -- I think I'm trading it for my birthday next week) I am going to go off plan without worrying about it. Christmas will be another one.
  • taylok23
    Options
    12/2 was not a great start to the month. Mid day as normal, I started to think about a snack. Hunger was maybe 3 out of 10 so I could definitely hold off. So, I folded some laundry and went back to work. Cool, right? Nope…next break I went upstairs to chat with hubs who decided on a snack because he skipped lunch. I had some cold potatoes because I didn’t want them to go to waste. When I realized I was mindlessly eating I threw them away. A bit of progress. After dinner of a healthy bowl of chili, I dug into chips that I totally didn’t need but really liked the looks of. Snagged a piece of frozen pizza from hubs and dealt with a stomachache until at least 3 am. Sodium added 1.2 pounds on the scale this morning too. So, I’ve repeated habits but learned I can redirect those urges if I put my mind to it. Onward to day 3 of the month!
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    Thrift stores are a fantastic place for clothes when you are between sizes, not too much money to get a whole new wardrobe when it's used, and you can just donate it back when you are done with that size!

yesterday was a great poverty calories day for me, including most of the exercise...I missed the morning 10 min, but that's not huge, and it was so nice to run at lunch, gorgeous day outside...I squeezed in the evening weights even though time was tight because I'm also in the middle of a kitchen renovation and yesterday the hardware got it's first coat of paint while the counters got their second coat of base paint...busy, but it's always like that, not a reason to neglect self care and good health!!!

I checked out a few 2nd hand places. Found some jeans that are too small at the moment and a couple of shirts. But couldn't find a lot that were my style. I won't wear a lot of clothes that might look good on someone else, but my body is just weird. So I like shapeless clothes, just not too baggy like what I have right now. But I now have a whole closet full of clothes that I get to go through! Plus get to see my son and some of my previous coworkers!
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    I have to amend my goals.. still want to get down to 232, down 10 lbs., and I am down to 240.4.. BUT, my brother wants to do Keto, to help control his BG, to help his leg wound heal, and is unwilling to do Carnivore, so I will be doing Keto under 20 grams a day.. and my goal is to stay on plan for the whole time still.. just on a different plan.. so essentially stay very low carb.

After 83 days on Carnivore, I feel weird even speaking of vegetables, but I know which ones I can eat. I was losing on Keto before, and I can do it again, and hopefully my brother stays on it as well, and heals faster.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Mary from Pennsylvania.
    Back again! Will post weight on Sundays. Sticking with what has been working for me since 5/14/21. 1000-1200 calories/day,
    Net Carbs15 +/- 3 grams(some days actually less), 70+ oz water/day, only 2 meals/day on non work days (I work 4 days/week) and exercise on my non work days (as I work long days).
    UGW-122 lbs
    Down 78.8 lbs of 132 lb goal to lose.

Oct goal was 10 lbs Almost made it!
    Nov goal was 5 lbs Made it + 0.6 lbs!
    Dec goal is also 5 lbs

9/14/20-255 lbs Highest weight twice :-(
    5/3/21-240.5 lbs
    6/1/21-228.8 lbs
    7/1/21-222.2 lbs
    8/1/21-212.0 lbs
    9/1/21-200.0 lbs
    10/1/21-191.4 lbs
    11/1/21-181.8 lbs
    12/1/21-176.2 lbs
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    12/5/21 - Still at 186. Which I am happy for. I haven't gained a bunch. I am on a short vacay at my son's and have gone out to eat at restaurants where I can't log the food exactly. Friday night I was good. Had a half of a personal cauliflower crust pizza with pepperoni & 5 wings with ranch. Oh and a glass of beer.

Yesterday though, we went to a different restaurant and I ordered a poutine. For those who don't know what that is, it's french fries, smothered in gravy & cheese curds! Luckily my son ate half of it because I could easily have polished it off all on my own! Then I had 4 wings on top of that. But I stuck with water this time.

When I stepped on the scale this morning, it was the same as yesterday. 186.6. So it looks like I'll be stuck around this weight for awhile. Headed back home today so I can get back into the swing of things. I'm just happy I didn't get back over 190.

But I do have a bunch of "new" clothes! Some I had forgotten about! A couple of shirts still had tags on them because I bought them, then tried on at home and they were too tight. Now they fit just right! And hopefully, with enough determination, these will be too big in a few months!
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    Congrats NYPhotograper.. it is hard to not gain on vacation. It wasn't that long ago, you were struggling to stay under 200, so 186 is great, and you will get back home, and weight loss will resume.

I am planning a vacation for next summer, and my goal is to lose so much weight before then, that I can sort of splurge on the vacation.. maybe one " bad " meal a day, and not gain too much.. a vacation requires you to try local foods, and relax a bit.

I hit 238.8 today.. which is below 240 for the first time in at least 25 years.. I got down to 242, down 119 in 6 months, on Atkins Induction, back when I started low carb.. 2011-2012. I felt great, and starting eating bad food again, and just 9 years later, I am down 3 lbs!!

As far as my goals.. another day on plan, and I've lost 3.2 of the 10 lbs. I plan to lose by the end of the month.

• lemurcat2
    Options
    Friday (planned splurge day due to celebratory lunch):

Net carbs = 172 (as expected).
    Protein=93 (bit lower than goal).
    Moving every day: did weights and some spinning, and closed my rings.
    Sleep: slept well until I woke up way too early and couldn't go back to sleep.

Saturday:

Net carbs = 53 (well within goal).
    Protein=95 (bit lower than goal).
    Moving every day: did yoga and some spinning and a walk, and closed my rings.
    Sleep: slept well, although I would again have liked to sleep a little later. Longer than Friday, though.
  • taylok23
    Options
    12/3-12/4
    I did well on Friday with resisting snacking after dinner and felt good going to bed- the sodium uptick on the scale came back off too. Saturday was a full day of grazing with friends so the scale ticked up again. Not unexpected so back to plan today. I’m looking forward to the holidays and football winding down so temptation is removed for a while.