THIS is Why the Scale is NOT Your Friend at the Beginning...

Options
juliemouse83
juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
Like a the cat that curiosity killed, this girl got on the scale today after a week of eating right-er than I had been before. Used to, there were days I'd go at 1200 calls a day or less, and I was really just tired. I did my thing and decided to eat...TDEE-10%. It's 1990, give or take a few calories. (I only had 10-15 lbs to lose.)

I have made a conscious effort to get as close to that as I can, although, I have fallen a little short some days, and a lot short tonite. (The oven died while dinner was in it and I'm not down with raw pork n stuff.)

I have also switched up my lifting program to a Nia Shanks workout from StrongLifts 5x5.

I know I am not gaining fat. I know it's water and glycocin (spelling, sorry), and I knew to expect some puff, bloat, digestive, umm, issues. None of that surprised me. Clothes are fitting a bit sing, but I don't LOOK like I feel. So for grins I jumped on the scale, to see if I was two, three, or maybe four pounds of puffy. BAD idea. No, really. It told me I am NINE pounds heavier than my last weight, which is A QUARTER of my total lost.

I know that it's part of the process. I know that it will go away. I know it's not fat, because I am still eating below TDEE. I know all that, but, dammit, it still stung.

Stay off the scales for a while after starting this, y'all. I really didn't think it would be this much, and yes, I know it's not "fat" weight, it still doesn't feel good. Had I even thought for a moment it would be so much of an increase, I wouldn't ave done it, as ignorance is bliss. Actually seeing it? Not so much. :sad:

Thanks for letting me cry on your collective shoulder. Like on Oprah, everyone gets one of these: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I think women, especially, become SO attached to the number on the scale, that we feel all our success is displayed there. It's such a great high to see that number go down! So naturally, when it goes up, we feel like it's a failure. I'm beginning to see that the scale is NEVER my friend. Never has been.

I am planning to weigh myself once a week, because I know I'm going to gain some weight and it's important to me to detach my worth from that scale number a little bit. (And I reserve the right to change my mind if it gets too crazy.)

My plan is to look to my lifting and strength progress to gauge my success instead of obsessing over the scale. I want to keep records of my weight as a testament to this way of life.

:flowerforyou: Back at ya. :wink:
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think we do put too much stock in the scale numbers. Like you, I've been focusing on strength gains (either a little or a lot, I'll take both, LOL) and how I feel having eaten what I need to. That, I think, is why I felt so blown away when I saw the number yesterday, because I don't LOOK like I did the last time I was at that number. I'll give it another week before I even THINK about getting back on my sworn enemy the scale...and even then...I think I will continue to live on the compliments I'm getting from friends and family to make me feel good, rather than some stupid numbers on the scale.

Also, I love your profile picture. I have a pack of dogs at the house, as well - six papillons and a rescue mutt. :smile:
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have also gained weight in a short period of time. Ten pounds up yet do not look the same or wear the same size the last time I weighed that amount.

Have always eaten between 1800-2300 calories per day depending on the amount of exercise. My gain came during a time period I was traveling extensively, had no control over food I was being served, and the start of a heavy lifting program concurrently.

Gave the scale up last year and used the tape measure and my clothes instead. Literally woke up one day and pants were tighter around the waist. That prompted me to get on the scale to see what happened. My waist is the first place I gain fat. Only, it was hard as a rock. Took measurements and I gained one inch in waist and hips, lost one inch in the bust, gained one inch around the shoulders, and stayed the same in my thighs.

Usually I either gain/lose evenly. I'm chalking it up to an unintentional bulk, water and glycogen retention, and body recomposition.

The past month I have tried to cut at 1700-1800 calories per day and there has been absolutely no change in weight. So have decided to toss the scale out again, eat at maintenance, and continue to work hard in the gym.