Almost a year

Options
tmbg1
tmbg1 Posts: 1,282 Member
So this group started almost a year ago! How was everyone's 2021? Is this group going to keep going into 2022? Participation has fallen off so I was just wondering.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Yup, participation has fallen off. I wonder who's still active on MFP, even, amongst the other members?

I have to admit, I tend to kind of forget about Groups, so don't remember to look and see if there are new threads very often.

Me, I've been isolating much of the time due to the pandemic, though my rowing club (on-water club) was open all season this year, unlike last year. That gave me some good social interaction several times a week in addition to the workout aspects, which is nice.

It's Winter here now, so I'm on to machine rowing and stationary biking for the frozen seasons. That's lots less fun to me than on-water rowing and road/trail biking, plus the longer walks I added this past summer . . . but those indoor things save me from starting over at square 1 fitness-wise every Spring, so I'm on it. Now, I'm much more hermit-y than I was in outdoor season.

I wondered about this group's planned lifespan when it was named with a year in its title, I have to admit. Maybe it isn't true for others, but for me it's pretty clear that if I want to stay at a healthy weight, weight management is going to be a lifelong commitment, not a temporary project.

I know some people recognize that lifelong aspect, and are able/willing to accomplish weight maintenance without logging, but logging works for me: I want to be sure I'm eating every delicious calorie I'm entitled to, routinely . . . but not lots more, because if I overdo, future Ann's life will be less satisfying. Logging is the best route I've found to balance current Ann's pleasure with future Ann's well-being. 🤷‍♀️
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I’m still here. I got ambitious mid-Oct to lose the last 14 lbs; I’m 3-4 lbs away from my goal. I shifted from walking in the neighborhood (hills) to using an elliptical machine for the colder months (using the incline, to hit the ground running in May (not literally, still walking!). Still doing some weight-lifting, but nothing impressive like some. I’m logging over the Christmas holidays, with treats putting me over my calorie limit on certain days (planned). My end goal timeframe is late-Feb (vacation), so I have time to recover.

Like Ann, I don’t think to click on the group link on a regular basis, but I’m here!
  • ttoolen
    ttoolen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think it could also be due to hard to find groups. I had MFP years ago and it was easier. I went to find groups today after re-signing up and I was a little lost.
  • LDUD19
    LDUD19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group. I dont really blog or join online forums, but I am really struggling! I hope to stay involved her in this group chat. I am about to turn 52 yo, happily single, I have a career but will soon retire and find a new gig. I just cant get motivated. I used to be really active until i hurt my back in 2014. I had surgery and am much better now, but not as active. Most exercise comes in the way of walking my dog, golf, and a little yoga. Lets get this group goin again ladies!
  • KobiHensley
    KobiHensley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I hope so!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    This group hasn't been very active, really, beyond the first few months. Maybe I've missed seeing some counter-examples, but this seems pretty common with groups here on MFP, perhaps especially those aimed at older age groups.

I get that peer support and community can be helpful, though. In case this group doesn't pick up again, I'd point out that there's a monthly "Women Ages 50+ for MMMM YYYY" recurring thread over in the Motivation part of the Community, that may be of interest if you haven't seen it.

There are also many other challenges and motivational threads in the Motivation and Challenges parts of the Community that are "all ages" things. Personally, as someone who joined here nearly 7 years ago at age 59, I've gotten a lot of good out of mixed-age support and interaction here . . . we do have certain things in common as aging women, but many of the issues we face apply to people at any and all ages who are trying to lose weight, improve fitness, increase health.
  • misslissa1969
    misslissa1969 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I hope it keeps going! I just joined. Back at MFP after a while gone....why oh why do we ever stop what works! I'm 53, down 5 lbs, and hope to lose another 100lbs! Please keep the group! How can we be friends. I can't seem to figure out how to add friends on here!