Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Winner_in_Life ... words fail, we are all here for you 🫂
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    This is the problem with everything regarding healthy eating, exercise and nutrition ... there's so much conflicting information out there even amongst so called experts. And it's not easy to study unless we lock people up and 100% control what they eat and what exercise they do. A lot of the studies are observational and count on self-reporting which is fraught with inaccuracies. Not on purpose but because we humans make errors in logging our activity and food intake.

As far as 20 mins of exercise for 24 hour fasting days ... it seems to me that light stretching, yoga or leisurely walks would be fine as they're not expending a whole lot of energy.

I go on the treadmill on an empty stomach because I don't like food in the morning (not hungry) and in the past I read you'd burn more fat that way but since then I've read conflicting information. I have to eat before doing weights because I am not able to lift as much on an empty stomach. That makes me surprised that doing exercise at the end of the fast would be preferable to doing it earlier as I would think one would feel weaker by then. But maybe it's me. After about 15 hours without eating I usually start feeling dizzy or lightheaded and sometimes end up with a headache. It could just be dehydration by then.
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hello old friends and new ones. My comeback in December failed. Maybe some of you remember that we move beginning October last year. Shortly after our move, exactly 13 days after, I lost my husband. I am still struggling with finding the way to continue my life. It will take some time I guess. All the best to All. I will try to do my best

My heart goes out to you and I am so sorry for your loss. It is good to have you back with us and I look ahead to offering encouragement and support. Be kind and gentle with yourself ♥️
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss @Winner_in_Life That's tough especially in a new city where you may not have much of a support system yet.
  • Arc2Arc
    Arc2Arc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new members! This is my second month in this group. Its value goes far beyond the three simple things we’re supposed to do. I haven’t been able to exercise the way I have in the past but hoping I can do something that would qualify as 20 minutes.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    @Winner_in_Life I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,367 Member
    Options
    Arc2Arc wrote: »
    Welcome to all the new members! This is my second month in this group. Its value goes far beyond the three simple things we’re supposed to do. I haven’t been able to exercise the way I have in the past but hoping I can do something that would qualify as 20 minutes.

LOTS of things qualify as "intentional activity" for 20 minutes (it doesn't HAVE to be heavy calorie-burning if you need to work on something like flexibility / prefer yoga anyway / are recovering from an injury or have some other preexisting cap or contra-indication for some choices )

As I mentioned above, if someone is a beginner who needs time to develop some stamina (aka just the SOUND of "a whole 20 minutes" seems scary-out of reach) .... break it up through the day as needed. So long as the total adds up to 20 minute (or more)
  • Ginharbe
    Ginharbe Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Winner_in_Life, sorry for your loss, I send you lots of hugs and stay strong
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    @Winner_in_Life - I’m so sorry for your loss. All the hugs coming your way. ❤️
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    @Winner_in_Life - I’m so sorry about your husband. Sending hugs to you.

Welcome to all the newbies. You’ve joined a fantastic group!

I’ve been on the UAC since 1/1/21, and on MFP on and off for a few years. The UAC is honestly the best group I’ve joined because it focuses on the basics of success. That said, my weight loss journey has been slow slow slow BUT I’m keeping off what I’ve lost, and I weigh about what I weighed in 2009. I still have 20 or 30 more to go, but I’m thrilled I haven’t put the 30 I’ve lost back on.