December - Week 4 Challenge - New Year, New You

Options

Replies

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,328 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I’m still catching up on the questions from previous days. Thanks again for prompting us to reflect in ways that inform future decisions and behavior changes!

TUESDAY, Dec 28th

5. Name your top three goals (big or small) for the next year.

My top three goals for the next year are to
    (1) get a DEXA scan to learn about my current body composition (e.g., bone density, body fat, water, etc.) in January;
    (2) set nutrition goals for the year with the help of a registered dietitian and personal trainer by the end of February; and,
    (3) sign up for the women’s masters (old people) soccer league winter program and find out when the extra skills training sessions are held.

I also plan to attend the winter conditioning sessions offered by my rowing group five days per week but I’ll set a focused goal to join at least three times per week. We already work with a personal trainer for 30 minutes twice a week so any extra rowing group participation will be a ‘bonus’ for me. I’d like to increase my flexibility by attending yoga but I’m not going to add it as a goal unless the other pieces become a regular part of my routine. I’ll add a reminder to my calendar to assess my progress in March, when outdoor rowing starts up again. That way, I can consider the change as a part of the spring season transition when my regular soccer team (men & women) season starts up again.

6. What’s your first step going to be in getting started in the New Year?

I have an appointment for my DEXA screening on January 15th so the next ‘first step’ in the new year will be setting up an appointment with the dietitian for a one-time consultation that I’m planning to build into my annual schedule of wellness appointments. If needed, I’ll consider one of the packages she offers for recommending a nutrition plan and a series of eight checking calls to help establish new habits or make adjustments to the plan based on my feedback, etc. I’ve split the appointment package with my sons in the past so that might be an option, too, if either of them is interested.

7. How can your F2F support team help you reach those goals?

The support team can help by continuing to check in with us about our progress in reaching these goals. Maybe a quarterly reminder as a part of one of these challenges would create a nice rhythm for us to reflect and make adjustments, as needed. Thanks for asking!! I appreciate the leaders and support team so much!
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,079 Member
    Options
    WEDNESDAY, Dec 29th

8. What are your three action words for 2022?

--Walk
    --Succeed
    --Enjoy

9. What’s one negative thing you can remove from your life?

--People who are short-sighted and don't see the bigger picture...anyone who is negative...anything that holds me back.

Enjoy your day all!
    Jessica
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,080 Member
    Options
    TUESDAY, Dec 28th

1- increase strength 2 - resolve shoulder problem with physio 3 - play more music

Setting up physio appointments

Being there to report to, they encourage me, they impress me, and the whole F2F is a big part of my thinking. I don't think I'd have maintained my weight loss if it were not for F2F.

WEDNESDAY, Dec 29th

Do - Lift - Share

An excess of silence, or silence that is filled in meaningless ways
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,133 Member
    Options
    WEDNESDAY, Dec 29th
    Execute, strive, grow
    Unnecessary and unhealthy levels of worrying about things I can't control (or that haven't become a problem yet)
  • tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,778 Member
    Options
    SUNDAY, Dec 26th
    1. Thinking back to Dec, 2020 compared to where you are now on your journey, what is the biggest change? What are you most proud of?

I am proud that I have lost more weight this year. I am most proud of the muscle I have built. My whole body composition is different now. The muscle does make me heavier but I love how it looks peeking through my skin and the fact it is undeniable that I work out.

2. Write a note to your “end of 2020” self. What advice do you have to offer?

Stay focused on eating enough protein and continue to lift weights. Remember nothing is forbidden but moderation must be kept.
    MONDAY, Dec 27th
    3. What would you change about 2021 if you could?

Nothing, absolutely nothing. I don't live with woulda coulda shoulda's.

4. How will question #2 affect your planning for 2022?

Basically keep working. Healing from my surgery completely before I attempt to get back to working out heavy.
    TUESDAY, Dec 28th
    Learn to figure skate.
    Get back to lifting heavy
    Make it to a size 10 and onederland.
    Have skates ready for when Doctor releases me. Walking and riding recumbent to keep fit while recovering.
    Pushing me with my steps
    cheering me on with accomplishments.
    WEDNESDAY, Dec 29th
    Do not quit
    negative self talk
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    THURSDAY, Dec 30th

10. How will you better support your teammates during the year?

I will endeavor to listen better, be more encouraging and make myself available when they need me. I've often said, your kind word could be the only one someone hears all day and words really make a difference. Empathy is an art we should all practice because everyone is going through something.

11. What do you think of having a support buddy for motivation?

I would love having a support buddy, if someone out there would like to team up. If we get enough interest in this, I'll propose it to the team I'm on. If you're interested in that, propose it to your Team Captain. Would be great to get occasional emails from my buddy throughout the week, especially since many of us are cooped up due to COVID restrictions.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,080 Member
    Options
    THURSDAY, Dec 30th

I will try to message people who do not appear on the team chat for a few days to see if there is any way we can help or find out if it is simply not the right tool or the right time for them. Those who stay - we'll try to have another zoom meeting soon. We did that a few times last year and it was a blast.

I feel like I have a lot of them. I'm on the team chat every day, and also the captains and moderators are my buddies. This group is what keeps me on maintenance right where I need to be - hitting 10 years on maintenance (with a few small moments of needing to lose 3-4 pounds) in September 2022!

We have organised a buddy system in the past - it did not catch on fire, but I think a few people kept it up for a while. Now with the pandemic and the ease of texting, it might be something to try again. Within your own team it is possible to group people by similar weight or loss goals, fitness activities, etc. and then they can choose a buddy if they want one. Great idea!
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    THURSDAY, Dec 30th

I'll add more teammates as friends and support them more one on one.

It's a fun idea, but I know most of my teammates seem to already be at their limit for MFP commitment, so I'm not sure if most will have the time / energy to commit to one more thing. I find everyone on my team to be a support buddy of sorts - they are come in and out as their schedules allow, chime in with what they can, and that works great for me.
  • tahm42
    Options
    THURSDAY, Dec 30th

I second both of @ashleycarole86 's answers! Great ways to be more active with our team mates!
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Thursday, December 30

I am good at offering support. It makes me feel good and helps me to stay focused. I think I do a good job with this particular aspect.

I actually don't think that a buddy would help me. In my experience, I do best when I can motivate and be accountable to myself. However, supporting others is a huge part of that. When I feel like I can contribute to someone else's success, then I feel successful.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Wednesday

-Health & Fitness: Stretch, Strengthen, and Improve
    -Social & Emotional: Connect, Deepen, and Declutter
    -Personal: Sharpen (Clarify? Define) my identity
    -Career: Grow my business

I need to let go - or remove - stuff from the past that is taking up (mental & physical) space. I want to gift, recycle or remove items that no longer have meaning to me so I can make space for new opportunities and personal growth. I have whole categories I’m going to ‘edit down’ (e.g., clothes, books, old papers and mementos) this year. So, rather than name one item, I’ll report progress toward my goal throughout the coming year.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    It looks as though I forgot to respond to Monday’s prompt, too!

MONDAY

3. What would you change about 2021 if you could?

I would have done a better job tracking the hours I spent working and improved my billing so the internal system would be more efficient and consistent.

4. How will question #2 affect your planning for 2022?

I’ll review the information I collected last year and implement a better system. I’m confident the reflection and learning I plan to do over the next few days will help set up new business protocols that will help in the coming year.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options

THURSDAY

I will try to post more frequently and consistently in response to comments and questions posed by my teammates. I’ll also increase the number of times I post comments in the ‘friends’ section and react to items posted by MFP friends.

Currently, I’m active on an ‘Accountability buddy’ thread that someone else started back in April 2020, when I first started posting in the community forum. I’m open to pairing up with a buddy, if it would be helpful; however, it might take some work to build the new behavior into my daily habit.
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    FRIDAY, Dec 31st

12. Finish this sentence: In 2022, I WILL …

I will make a plan each week and endeavor to stick to it.
    I will ALWAYS have a plan B for my eating.
    I will walk and move EVERY day.
    I will set my goals and work toward achieving them consistently.
    I will watch the numbers go down (scale).
    I will celebrate small NSVs (non-scale victories).
    I will treat myself with care, love and respect.
    I will help others as the greatest gift to myself.
    I will be a better listener.
    I will make myself available to others and to life.

Jessica
  • tahm42
    Options
    FRIDAY, Dec 31st

I will walk ride swim paddle 2022 miles this year.
    Log and track every morsel
    Get to onederland.
    Run the savage
    Stop the negative self talk
    Stop the eff it eats.
    Work towards consistent hitting my macros.
    Be a better cheerleader for those around me.
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I got a bit behind again so here's a catch up.
    Wed 29th
    What are your 3 action words for 2022
    Walk Lift Dance
    What's 1 negative thing you can remove from your life
    I can't remove the people that sometimes make negative comments but I can ignore them.
    Thurs 30th
    How will you better support your team mates during the year.
    I feel I am quite supportive of my team mates.I will try & post more often & contribute a bit more.
    I think we are all Buddies on here,maybe if you really clicked with someone it would be good to have a buddy.
    Fri 31st
    I will get to my goal however long it takes.
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    FRIDAY, Dec 31st

12. Finish this sentence: In 2022, I WILL ...

1) Get my weight to a normal BMI.
    2) Exercise in some form every day.
    3) Continue to track my food on MFP.
    4) Continue to be active in the MFP community.
    5) Support my husband's training for two Gran Fondos.
    6) Be a better partner, friend, daughter, sibling, human.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options

FRIDAY

In 2022, I will try to more clearly align my behavior with my values.

In my mind, this 2022 plan is similar to living the Ghandi quote, ‘Be the change you want to see in the world.’ I’m hoping each decision I make supports my personal vision for myself.
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Saturday
    What results do you want to see in January.
    A slimmer stronger & healthier version of me.I want to work on building muscle & changing my shape.
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    SATURDAY, Jan 1st

14. Answer this question: January, 2023 will see what results in you? …

Focused on Results
    Gratitude
    Better Attitude
    Lots of Planning
    Strong Preparation
    Greater Movement
    Many Successes, large and small

I'm so excited to see what 2022 brings...hope you've enjoyed this challenge. I'll be starting the next Group Challenge later this evening and it will take what we've planned and help us to focus...get our heads on straight as that's the majority of the battle. I'll also be giving tips for being more active throughout January.

Happy New Year! I KNOW it's going to be a good one for all of us.
    Jessica :smile:
This discussion has been closed.