12/29/21 - 1/4/22

Options
Lastchancelj
Lastchancelj Posts: 1,312 Member
LW 229.2
TW 227.8

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas. Best to all of us for a healthy, happy, loving and prosperous New Year!

Christmas was awesome and rough all at once. Sad news first. We lost one of our family members on 12/23. In my convoluted family way, my SIL's Sister's Sister in law. So my grandkids, Cameron and Kelsie's, Aunt Pooh. She and her hubby had many health problems, obesity, COPD, on oxygen, diabetes and more. Eric's ( her hubby) is also on dialysis. Pennie, my SIL's Sister and mom to Cam and Kelsie, failed to keep me in the loop. You see, every holiday that I host, they have joined us. Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Independence Day, Anything really. Their family has joined us for so many dinners and parties, they've become our family. Anyhow, this past Thanksgiving, due to just craziness, Pennie and I never connected and so she had no idea I was cooking this year, so they didn't join us. Somehow around Thanksgiving, Pooh, Eric and Pooh's mom, Brenda, all contracted Covid. Eric and Brenda recovered. Pooh, sadly, fought valiantly, however, after being put on the ventilator, had one day of promise to come off, only to plummet the next. So the Eric made the difficult decision to take her off on Dec 23 at noon. I only found out when Pennie said she had some errands to run before going to the hospital to say their last goodbyes. I had no idea and I bawled after hanging up with her and getting caught up. Hubby did as well. She was such a sweet person. Dec 23 is also a very rough day for me as that is the date my eldest brother commit suicide many many years ago after Ma's passing and the last day I spoke to him and couldn't stop him.

Christmas Eve. Cam and Kelsie and their parents and Gma Brenda all came up for beef stew and luminarias. Unfortunately, Mother Nature decided AZ needed to catch up on their water and we had a steady rain all dang day and all night. So, we had stew, played games, Kelsie and I decorated more cookies, and just enjoyed one another. Jeff and Brenda did not want to talk about Pooh, so we talked about everything else. Including Brenda's new beau who is 25 years younger ...so she's calling herself a "cougar". This one is a crack up.

Christmas morning was AWESOME! We spent the day with Rhea and her parents and her other grandparents. We had too much food, too many presents and lots of love. We talked of happy things and truly enjoyed one another. We went to the Zoo for the ZooLights on the day after with Rhea - another great day. We brought Rhea home with us and we got to spend the morning with her playing and cuddling until we met her parents as they are way up north to visit the great grandma in Chinle.

My daughter and SIL did not yet receive our package of gifts - my fault for sending them too late. His bday is on Jan 6 so hopefully they can make it for that and they can open all of the gifts for "Little Christmas". We usually add one small monetary gift or gift card to open that day for the day the wise men met Jesus. Anyhow, we did get to facetime with them a few times over the weekend and got to meet a rescue horse "Pickles" they are sponsoring. They also shared that they are probably coming back stateside early next year - WOOT WOOT. Sarah - they may be in your neck of the woods. More to come once we know more.

I've had an ear infection for the past several weeks and haven't been able to hear out of my left ear. I have an RX for ear drops (this a routine for me), but they didn't work...so I finally went to my dr. yesterday to get it looked at.... Super infected and super swollen. I have a new rx so hopefully that will help in the next day or so. I was trying to go to urgent care, but the two near me are closed for some reason. So I had to see my regular dr, which I was avoiding. So he chatted to me about my weight, bp and when am I doing my physical. UGH. I told him I wasn't prepared to have any of those conversations, I just want him to look at my ear. He chuckled. Keep in mind, he's been my dr. since 1993 and we have a great relationship. We often chat of our families and other non medical stuff too while we're together. I never feel rushed and get to ask any question I want. He still hasn't found the "magic pill" to reduce my weight. But he did ask once again when my next obstacle course race is so I can get training. LOL. So Mamo is scheduled, bloodwork is ordered and I'll schedule to see him next month. UGH. I snuck out without making a commitment to a specific date yesterday.

2021...I've had some good times and sadly many losses. This time of year is super tough for me. Ma and Daddy passed just before Thanksgiving....so I struggle and really need to have people around me still. Christmas with the passing of my eldest brother in such a manner, Christmas Eve morning was when I found out - actually more like asked VeronaMom when she called and said I needed to come home right now, if he'd killed himself last night and she confirmed and I had to go to my Daddy and be strong for him too. So the luminaries and gathering is such a soul comforter for me.

2022 - I have to get my *kitten* in gear. Instructions needed. :)

We get to see Cam and Kelsie tomorrow for TopGolf...hopefully the rain will stop We will also get to see Rhea. A few more days of PTO and back at my regular world next week.

Happy New Year everyone.

Replies

• SarahMaxx
    SarahMaxx Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    Lois, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My heart hurts for the family who had to make that kind of decision. Hard anytime, but harder at a holiday. And I understand the holiday blues. My hubby's dad died of his first and only heart attack at the age of 48 on December 23, 1973. That day is always a little sad for him, and this year he had the extra thought that his dad has been dead the same number of years that he lived. Now, a person would not die. They'd quickly put in stents. But that was not option then.

Congratulations on that loss. You lost about what I gained! As you said, it's time for us to let go of the old year and make plans for a healthier 2022. And I'm all onboard for that. When hubby and I were walking in NC, I asked what our resolutions should be. Last year we resolved to do something new and fun at least once a month, and we failed miserably at that. So we chose one personal and one shared resolution. My personal resolution is arm strength. My doc has said that if the shoulder keeps acting up when I use weights, she will refer me to an excellent orthopedist, i.e., her brother-in-law! And I'm going to take her up on it.

Yesterday, I got back to the mall to walk for the first time since the Sunday before Christmas. The place is virtually empty and I wear an N95 mask, so it feels safe. Because time was tight, I only got about 9K steps yesterday, but I plan to catch up as the week goes on. As I mentioned, my stats were not so good last week: 7-day average steps = 7,420 and 7-day average burn = 1,552.

I know we cannot know at this point what 2022 will bring, but I'm ready to map out a plan to end the year feeling and looking better than I enter it. I know that no matter what, I'll have the SNSers backing me, as I will you all.
  • SarahMaxx
    SarahMaxx Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I thought my weigh-in info was lost, but I just realized that we have two posts for this week. Lois, we often seem to be online starting the new thread at the same time! :smile: It is going to be a busy day with year-end tasks to complete, so I wanted to quickly say Happy New Year to all. Sheesh, I know you are enjoying your time with the kids and grands and that it's not easy to find time to get to a computer. I found that true in NC. Took the darned thing, but then didn't want to lug it out and set it up. Every trip before, I had to do that to check my work email for emergencies (with five inboxes you can't add them to a cell phone), but this time, there's no work to worry about. (Good and bad!) Kelly, I hope all is well with you and all your loved ones. And I've been meaning to ask about Diesel. I hope he is still rallying. Our diabetic kitty is not doing as well as she was a short time ago. Time to go contribute to the Vet's retirement account and get more blood tests done to see if her insulin needs to be adjusted.

Well off to kitchen chores before more paperwork. Stay safe and be very careful if you're on the road tonight.
  • Lastchancelj
    Lastchancelj Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone. First day back after my two week (somewhat interrupted) vacation/holiday. As I stated above, we had a very Merry Christmas despite our loss of Pooh. Thank you Sarah for the kind words as well. So we had to take hubby's van in for service. It had the check engine light on and yuck. So, Four grand later (not replacing this car this year...2022...hoping to push to 2024), hopefully hubby has his van back, running and with current tags. Well, as he was preparing to take it to the dealer for service, one of the rear seats popped up. and of course, hubby tweaked his back wrestling it back on. Unsure why he didn't just pull it out and go, but he fought it. Well, that tweaked back interrupted the remainder of our plans to get stuff done. And to golf at Top Golf with the two older grandkids (he could barely move after we got home). Which, it turns out, neither of them really wanted Top Golf after all...so there went $175 and 2 hours of the grands playing on their phones or bickering. Most of the time was ok, but the times that they weren't was super frustrating. We don't see them enough and honestly, I would have preferred to just pick them up and take them with just us. Somehow when the parents are along, they are moody and bickery. Rhea and her parents didn't stop on their way home from far up north so we haven't seen them since Christmas. Miss them. The weather was yucky NYE so we opted to stay home, and they did as well. It had been raining off and on since Christmas and none of us wanted to chance accidents etc. so it was best for all to remain at home. I don't know how I did it, but I made it until midnight and watched hubby light off three of his fireworks stash. He's such a little kid and it makes him happy. I bundled up and smiled. As predicted, my MIL's travel plans were chaos. They were supposed to bring her back on 12/30, but didn't. Unsure why and didn't ask. NYE and Jan 1 are two birthdays in San Diego, so our cousin was staying in San Diego for those parties. So the cousin who mom was staying with and her husband drove mom back yesterday. SIX hours each direction. They came. Visited for about 1/2 hour. The hubby wanted to stop at Cabella's sporting good warehouse so they did on their way out (it's almost like a "must see when at Lois' house spot"...haha at least for fisherman and such). They left their house at 530am and got home at 930pm their time. And both had to work today as well. I told our cousin she should have let me book MIL on a flight..."oh no...it's ok Auntie really didn't want to fly". Talk to me tonight and see if that's still your thought process. UGH. MIL did have a good time visiting but she said she was happy to be back home. She didn't want to stay another week (hence making the niece drive her round trip same day).

Yesterday I did some serious meal prep. Eggs, rice, sweet potatoes and chicken for mom and hubby. I sous vide a tri tip for me and roasted the most amazing root veggies (parsnips, carrots, asparagus, sweet potatoe, onion, bell peppers and brussel sprouts). Then I took one of the feta cheeses that is in the brine, put it in foil, smothered with a new delicious olive oil (Thea -new one for me and it's tasty) and generous coating of oregano. Fold the foil and bake in oven about 15-20 mins. oh my goodness, creamy and delicious. Great on crusty bread bites. Oh and quinoa. So a scoop of quinoa, few scoops of veggies, some tri tip and then some creamy feta and Oh my goodness delicious protein bowl with lots of veggies.

We're just about done with the cookies and candy (well hubby has put a major dent in them). I'm ready to toss it all.

I did have some productivity in cleaning out the fridges AND Freezers and a corner of our bedroom that had become a "dumping ground". Hubby was complaining he couldn't get to the tower to work out....whatev. He hasn't used that thing in years. I was going to dust it and thought I won't and then I can see if he really uses it. hahaha. yes I was being petty. I had to toss so much meat...broke my heart (cooked in 2018). I feel better and good about what I got done. I'm still looking for my motivation to work out. It wasn't hidden in the freezers or in the corner of the bedroom. Hopefully the healthier eating will nudge me along. I'm on year 8 of the Run the Year challenge.

Sarah - keep up the mall walking if you're able.