Cheap recipes??

Options
MrsYoungIII
MrsYoungIII Posts: 41 Member
My family like a lot of families is very tight finacially. Like really really tight. Like I need to feed 4 ppl for 6 days with sometimes less then $100. We mainly shop Price Rite or Save Alot. It's really embarrassing to post this but I don't know when we'll get out of this rut and until I can lower my depression and get healthy to help me become "stable" we're stuck.

Replies

• heatherlynn1223
    Options
    I also have a limited budget and we eat a lot of chicken dishes, with frozen veggies, since fresh can be expensive unless I can get to our local farmers market adding chopped mushrooms onions and peppers can add a lot of flavor to any dish and I chop them up so small the kids cant tell that they are eating healthy here is a chicken enchilada recipe for you cost about $10-15 to make depending if you use what is on hand or sale items you can also substitute other meats but for us chicken breast is cheap when bought in bulk.

8 flour tortillas
    2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
    3 small chicken breast cooked and shredded
    2 cans enchilada sauce
    1 bell pepper chopped
    1 cup mushrooms chopped
    1 medium onion chopped
    1 pkt. taco seasoning

Sautee peppers, onions and mushrooms add chicken and taco seasoning and 2/3 cup water.
    in each tortilla add a couple tbsp. enchilada sauce, a couple tbsp. of cheese, about 1/2 cup of chicken veggie mix, fold into burrito and place in baking dish top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese, bake 20-30 minutes at 350
  • CA_Emily
    CA_Emily Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific recipe, but dried beans are super cheap.

You buy them, soak them, and cook them. It's pretty easy, but takes a little planning. There are even recipes out there to cook benas in a crockpot. Beans are super healthy and full of protein. If you have the money you can add meat, otherwise just add frozen veggies and spices depending on what you'd make. I would suggest googling dried beans to see if any hints or recipes pop up.

Dried bean recipes I enjoy making/eating: lentils, split pea soup, chili, bean stew (you can even add pasta to this too), hummus (I make this and use it as a dip or add to salad/sandwiches).

Hope this helps.