Fuel Belts?

Options
crista_b
crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
At what point do you think it's necessary to start using a fuel belt/start refueling during a run?

I'm only doing about 4-4.5 miles at a time right now, and I drink water or gatorade when I get home, but I'm thinking that I should start looking at taking something with me soon. I hate carrying things in my hands when I run so I was looking at fuel belts.

Any advice?

Replies

• TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I started using one when I started the 5210K program. Initially I didn't really use it for the water, but that did come in handy during my 5 min cool down walk. I bought it to hold my phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy which is pretty large and I didn't like the idea of using the arm bands. Not only because of the size, but I didn't want to give anyone an excuse to rob me for my phone. Now I use it to hold my phone, ID, bus fare if need be and keys. I am up to 6 miles, I still don't usually drink until I finish my run, but now that I have decided to train for a half I'm sure that will soon change. I do have a mint in the front pocket just in case and it is good to know that the water is there.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I need water. If I run more than 20-30 minutes, I'll carry a water. Initially I always did, I've gotten to where I can leave the bottles at home for the short runs.

Fuel - I suppose everyone is different. I need to refuel after about 80-90 minutes of intense exercise.

I did notice on the fuel belts the other day (when in the running store) that the one with two bottles could fit the gel pouches, money, and keys (but not a phone), but the bag on the belt that held four bottles would not fit the pouches, a phone, or much else besides credit cards and keys. So...just to note if you do buy a fuel belt...that you might want to make sure the bag part is actually going to hold what you need it to hold.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of belts. The first one I bought was the "Amphipod Full-Tilt AirStretch Velocity." What I liked about that one is the bottle sits horizontally so there's less sloshing up and down. The fit is very comfortable too. What I don't like is - having only one kind of liquid due to only one bottle, the bottle started dripping after a few weeks of use, the pocket is part of the bottle sleeve so you can't easily put a phone & keys in there and get the bottle in and out very well.

Then I bought the Nathan Fusion system which is a build-it-yourself type system. You buy all the parts separately and customize it as needed. I like having several smaller 8-oz bottles so I can fill them with different stuff. The large pouch is big enough for my phone, car keyfob, and a couple of gels (if needed). The outside of the pouch has a little stretchy rope thing you can cinch up around a towel or kleenex. But I am not crazy about the bottles. They are not supposed to leak but when running at a fast pace they splash out the spout sometimes. And you have to keep the belt super tight or the bottles start sliding around and the entire belt rotates around your waist.

Overall I think I still prefer the Nathan system. Maybe I should just switch the bottles for the kind with a pull-top spout. Their "race cap" isn't very reliable for races. When training I would try to limit myself from drinking anything until I hit 6 miles, unless it was really hot.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

My pace is really slow so I'm still only doing about 4.25-4.5 miles for my hour long runs, but I think I'm going to start using the Runner's World SmartCoach to get my distance up to about 10 miles, then do half-marathon training. My plan was to start taking something with me once I start doing 6+ miles which sounds about right based on your suggestions. I usually have to run on a completely empty stomach or I get crampy and nauseous, but I know as my mileage increases, I'm going to need to fuel myself so I don't get burned out.

Thanks again for your help!
  • TyFit08
    Options
    I got my fuel belt from Target. I believe it was about 20 bucks. I have a similar pace as you, but I am up to 6.25 miles for long runs. I have run that distance without needing to drink, but I always finish with a 5 min cool down walk and I definitely drink then. It may be hard to see, but the one I use is in my profile picture.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Anything over 6 miles and I need to take something with. And, fyi, a Capri Sun in the sports bra works ok if you haven't gotten around to getting a fuel belt yet.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Anything over 6 miles and I need to take something with. And, fyi, a Capri Sun in the sports bra works ok if you haven't gotten around to getting a fuel belt yet.

Thanks for the Capri Sun tip, I needed it today:)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Seriously will need to try that.
  • TyFit08
    Options

Seriously will need to try that.

Sounds like a great idea, but I don't think it would stay put with my itty bitties
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Resurrecting this topic - did a search for fuel belts & had forgotten all about the Capri Sun option. (Don't have any anyway.) I do need a gel/chews & fluids on my longer runs now and can't decide the best way to do it. Last weekend I repeated a smaller loop a few times so I just stopped at my car as I was running past, but most of the time that's not going to be an option. I bought one of those handheld bottles that's supposed to curve to your hand but hated, hated, hated it. Don't know that I would like having anything strapped around my waist but it's looking like a better option than holding a bottle.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have the actual fuel belt. The one with three containers. I got it off amazon.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I have the actual fuel belt. The one with three containers. I got it off amazon.
    Which fuel belt did you get? Do you like it?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have 2 belts and one runner's bottle. The runner's bottle I take with me whenever I go 4+ miles.

The two belts I have is this one:
    shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3zBWzgCSiUvWF5Vg57fUHKD-sWswam93HlXRnmx8O-Q56QxMj4OwRkO077bSlzTKb3Y6z8w&usqp=CAE

and

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjh41Gp_tPmf7meJljjFQspauGaLWe02_tVm96meMhpvJGMmciu_1iu_VQuLBhnUrYNkJBNA&usqp=CAE

Then I have a running bottle that has a pouch and hand strap built in. I mix up what I wear and bring. The belt without the bottles I haven't used yet...I got it as a present this past Christmas and have yet to really need to bring a belt with me. Will be trying it out this weekend on my 9 mile long run though. One of the pouches you can move them around and position as you see fit.

The iFitness belt I used during my half marathon and it comfortably fit 2 packs of gummy gels, bandaids, car key, and it has a race bib hold build in. Plus you can buy add-ons for later when I start needing to bring even more water with me, instead of having to buy a whole new belt.