Weight No More Team Chat - February 2022

Options
jugar
jugar Posts: 10,043 Member
edited February 2022 in Social Groups
jsd2tdoy1v7w.png

Here is your Team chat room for February 2022. This is where you weigh in every week, post your goals and progress, discuss any issues or topics of interest, share ideas, support your teammates, receive help when you need it, and dream big. Try to post often, and help each other succeed!

We have five great teams. The group and team leaders are as follows:

Our Moderators:
Liselyn - @jugar
Megan - @Megan_smartiepants1970
Ashley - @minstrelofsarcasm
Jessica - @jessicakrall8

Our Team Captains:
Downsizers - @lindamtuck2018 and @Megan_smartiepants1970
Mission Slimpossibles - @broncobuddee and @TeresaW1020
Weight No More - @minstrelofsarcasm and @melaniedscott
WaistAways - @jugar and @ashleycarole86
Shape Shifters - @jessicakrall8 and @TheMrWobbly

Our Team Motivators:
Downsizers - @peng123 & @MeowScout
Mission Slimpossibles - @katmary71 & @trooworld
Weight No More - @rachelrjh
WaistAways - @conleywoods
Shape Shifters - @angmarie28

HOW IT ALL WORKS:
Every challenger weighs in on their chosen day, every week without fail! At the end of each week, the tallies are done to determine the team and individuals with the most weight lost. The best losers are announced with full fanfare every Sunday. The team competition is all in good spirits - may the most losing win!

We also celebrate those small, steady losses. If you lose, however small an amount, you are in the green! At the end of the month, we celebrate everyone who lost at least a bit every week. You are heading steadily towards your goal even if you aren't at the top of the weight loss leaderboard!

To make your weigh-in easy to find for your team Captains, please put it right at the top of a message, and use this format:
Username:
Weigh In Day:
PW (Previous Weight):
CW (Current Weight):

If you miss two weigh-ins in a row without asking for a break, you will be dropped from the team, so be sure to inform your team captain if you are traveling, sick, or just need some time off. If you take a break, you can be excused for a week or two, or are moved to the Support Team for longer. You can remain on the Support Team for as long as you need to. You still participate in the discussions, you can weigh in if you want to, but it will not count in the weekly tally.

Once you reach your goal weight, you join the Goal Zone! You continue to weigh in every week. If you have 2 weeks above your self-defined goal zone, you go back to the regular team to lose that amount before it builds up. You will have a chance to hone those maintenance skills and stick with your team!

In addition to your own team, there are weekly F2F Full Group CHALLENGES. You can do all or none - it's up to you. Participating adds a lot to your success, so we hope to see you there often! These can involve anything fitness, health, or nutrition - and they’ll get you moving, thinking, and learning about this journey. Check the Announcements section for full group challenges.

Let’s show our fellow challengers some F2F love! Introduce yourselves right away, and let the new month and year begin!!

Replies

• jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,110 Member
    Options
    The Week 1 Group Challenge for February begins Sunday, January 30th. It is now open and ready for lively discussion, information and great tips this week. Join us as we explore planning your meals each day with The Balanced Plate!

Here's your link:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10855106/february-week-1-group-challenge-the-balanced-plate#latest

Hope to see you there!
    Jessica :smile:
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Happy New Month, Everybody! So happy to see all the new faces in the chat (and the old ones too, not that I'm calling anyone old, I swear)!

I am minstrelofsarcasm, also known as Minstrel, also known as Ashley, also known as "that sweaty girl in the corner"... I am one of the co-captains along with the ever-marvelous @melaniedscott. My role here is to provide some real talk, some good motivation, and a few too many jokes about stress eating for anyone's comfort levels.

The Basics:

I am 26 and currently living in Ohio. I work as a combustion engineer for an industrial manufacturing company (I set things on fire for money). I am fascinated by all facets of science, whether that be nuclear physics, nutrition, geology (I hear it rocks), chemistry, etc. Feel free to ask any of your questions when it comes to the science of things. I can't guarantee I'll know the answer, but I can definitely figure it out and provide an answer in a way that's (hopefully) understandable.

Why I am Here:

I love numbers, and when I discovered that I could get healthier (as my doctor told me I absolutely had to do) by keeping track of numbers, I signed up for MFP. My original weight was 8lbs 2oz, and while I don't think I'll ever make it quite that low ever again, my goal is to never be above my highest weight of 234 (September 2014).

Despite having joined this wonderful community, I didn't take my weight loss or my health seriously until after I graduated college in May 2017 and was told by a different doctor that my eating and (lack of) exercise habits put me on the road to diabetes. I'll admit, I was terrified. I grew up with a diabetic parent who took no actions towards improving their health to reduce their dependence on insulin and is now facing some very serious health complications. I didn't want that to happen to me - I wouldn't want to put anyone through having to worry about me in the same way I worried about them.

So I searched "gym" on Google Maps, and signed up for a free class with the first place that popped up in the results, a spin studio. Since July 1st, 2017, I have completed over 1,000 spin classes.

In other news, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in December 2019 after an arduous journey from doctor to doctor, through several misdiagnoses (why is it that the first thing a doctor will suggest is anxiety if you're female and show emotion in the doctor's office?), 14 vials of blood drawn for blood tests, 3 weeks of being unable to consistently feel the left side of my body, 2 MRIs, 1 spinal tap, and a partridge in a pear tree. I could go into a long rant about everything, and I have, but there's no need to fill my introduction with things I've written time and time again (I'll post a link to my blog, for those of you interested in my madness).

In Summary:

Since joining MFP, I have lost over 70 lbs, regained about 15 while on a three-month business trip in France (wine and cheese is my weakness), lost 5 of them, gained 5 of them, maintained throughout 2020, yo-yo'ed for the first few months of 2021, and here I stand (sit) at 170 lbs, a good 64 net lbs lost. I don't have a goal weight anymore, since BMI was developed by a mathematician and not a doctor, and as long as I feel healthy, I can weigh whatever I want (somewhere in the 150's sounds pretty good right now, but I guess we'll see).

As for exercising, I do regular functional training HIIT classes to build up some resistance training on top of my strong cardio background. I’ve recently left the spin studio for a number of reasons, but may return at some point in the future.

If you want to know more about me, or my journey, feel free to ask questions, or you can find my blog here: LINK

Blog posts I’m especially proud of:
    • Creating a Sense of Accountability - This is my first blog post ever, and I’ve grown a lot since then, but so many of the same factors are still present in my life
    • Timeline of a Post Vacation Bloat - Follow how my weight fluctuates throughout the week after my return from a short vacation, and the factors that I believe played a role in each shift
    • BMI is BS - I essentially wrote a history lesson on BMI and why you shouldn’t base your self worth on it. Most likely, your BMI is misrepresenting you.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you even more as we work our way through the month.

• MotylekOkruchy
    MotylekOkruchy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    MotylekOkruchy

steps:
    Sunday: 20864 ( :) Hike day! :) )
    Monday: 13795
    Tuesday: 13961
    Wednesday: 16526
    Thursday: 16162
    Friday: 15504
    Saturday: 22570 <3

<3 The weather was beautiful yesterday but I was in the middle of the 3-book series I started reading last week and since kids went skiing, I decided to skip the walk, stay at home and read. But I also wanted to catch up with my fitbit buddy on steps so I came up with a brilliant ( ;) ) solution: reading while treadmill walking. I walked, moved to the armchair, walked some more, continued reading off the treadmill - and that's how it went.
    I went through book 2, and stayed up late to finish book 3. My step count for the day: 22570.
    Next time I have a day without kids, I'll try to push for 30K.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    Options
    giphy.gif

We have completed another month, folks! We really knocked it out of the park in January - let's try to keep up the momentum for February! Click the links below to see our results from the last week of January and the month overall.

Here's a sneak peak of how your team did...

db6ac0jboy59.png
    fnk4ci0c3s7n.png
  • thenextloser135
    thenextloser135 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Username: mprais62
    Weigh In Day: sunday
    PW (Previous Weight): 265
    CW (Current Weight): 250
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Good Afternoon WNM! Welcome to all the new ladies & gents!
    I'm Melanie and I'm from Kansas. I’m the other team Co-captain. Truly, Ashley does most of the heavy lifting.
    I was always was skinny (no, not thin, skinny, all knees and elbows). At 18, I weighed between 110 and 120 at 5"6'. Maybe. I got happy. Then I got fat. I found myself weighing in about 230 and my six sixteens were too small. I bought a couple pairs of 18 pants from the thrift store and joined MFP.
    I lost ~70 pounds in about a year and was pretty pleased. But I wanted another 20 off...and it didn't move. And things got a bit crazy with my husband's family (we won’t talk about that—it always leads to crazy-pants ranting)...so I decided to maintain for a bit. Instead of maintaining, I gained back most of the weight. So...now I'm here and working on losing 60 pounds (40 of the 50 I 'found' and the 20 I never lost).
    My special snowflake challenges
    I'm fairly significantly asthmatic (on meds all the time), have terrible allergies and connective tissue issues (not enough collagen, too stretchy, lots of joint slippage). The past five and a half months have been difficult for me because of the slippy joints—one of my shoulders slipped, refused to relocate and…well. Weekly PT is almost over but I'm doing PT exercises to the tune of about 30 minutes most days. August 2020, I acquired some vertigo problems (or, maybe they just got worse). After adding some meds, adjusting my diet a bit, and stopping coffee (so sad), I’ve got it mostly under control, with only intermittent episodes. The point behind saying this is not woe-is-me, it is that a lot of exercise people promote is bad (anything high impact), and sometimes dangerous, for me.
    Outside of PT, I’m not exercising much. I do get about 30 minutes of walking at least during the week because I have to walk to and from my car for work and all around the building to get to anyone I need to see or the ladies’. I try to get a walk in otherwise but frequently fail (especially if vertigo jumps up, like the last two Fridays). Weekends are a mixed bag. Even walking had become painful with the shoulder, so I’d not even been doing much there.
    My 2022 Goals
    • I’m not going to talk about last year or the year before any more.
    • I have a closet full of size 10's that I want to wear.
    • Back to Wedding Weight (165) before the end of the year. Maybe lower...
    Daily goals:
    • Walk at least 30 minutes a day. (I plan to start participating in the step challenge again)
    • Get back to doing core exercises every day (I add these in to my PT because shoulder exercises are boring).
    • 80 oz of water or non-alcoholic liquid a day, mostly water.
    • Cut down on sugar and junk food (but it is Girl Scout cookie season!!)
    I wasn't around much last month as about a week into the month my husband was exposed, tested positive and was pretty sick. He's up an around now and seems to be recuperating well. But I was...distracted and not engaged. I had other fish to fry. I'll likely be more active this month, barring any other excitement.
    I want to congratulate all our losers from January! Small losses add up. Don’t get discouraged if you ‘only’ lose half a pound or pound. I am super proud of all of you! 😊 And several of you have maintained, which is terrific, too. Not seeing losses or not seeing the losses you want can be disheartening. Don’t give up! Think of all the things you have accomplished…you can do anything you put your mind to!
    Welcome to the team newbies! I think I’ve sent friend requests to all of you (many have already added). If I missed you, please send a request. Looking forward to getting to know you all!
  • ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    Steps..

Sun- 7,469
    Mon- 7,308
    Tues- 10,870
    Wed- 9,385
    Thurs- 9,236
    Fri- 11,512
    Sat- 12,294
  • ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @IDebraK I hate the snow. The only fun thing about it was watching my granddaughters play in it. They had so much fun.

Welcome new team members. I'm Tracy, 49 and I live in new Hampshire. I have 2 boys, 2 granddaughters and a grandson coming in march. I have been married a long time. I am an assistant director in childcare which keeps me on my toes. I gain and lose the same 5 pounds. I have been going to a weight loss clinic and seeing a nutritionist so far nothing. They want me to take meds which I'm not to comfortable taking. I love to walk and do zumba. I am thinking of giving up my gym membership which would mean not going to my zumba class anymore but they now only have class on sunday morning and no subs if she isnt available. So far for January I have been once. She teaches at another place that is a little more expensive but has more options. Or I may get beach body. I already own some of the videos but what the heck. I do have the ifit app which I like. My steps last week were horrible, I have to get back into a groove. I made homemade pasta sauce today, it wasnt that bad but I feel something was missing. I cant wait to meet you all.
  • IDebraK
    IDebraK Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My step count for the day: 22570.

I was at around that the other day, so I had to google how many miles I'd have to "travel" to get the 30,000. The answer is about 4 miles at 3MPH. I went to the gym to get those 4 miles in on the treadmill.

• MotylekOkruchy
    MotylekOkruchy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    IDebraK wrote: »

I was at around that the other day, so I had to google how many miles I'd have to "travel" to get the 30,000. The answer is about 4 miles at 3MPH. I went to the gym to get those 4 miles in on the treadmill.

That seems more doable than I thought.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

There is something specious about Google's math. I did a 7 mile hike with a friend in Dec at about 3mph...and only clocked about 17.5k...and that didn't subtract the rest of my day. I think a mile is typically ~2000-3000 steps, but it varies a bit by person... longer legs = fewer steps.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    Options

I don't trust those values. From my experience, 4 miles is about 10k. Typically, at my standard walking speed, I hit just above 9k when walking 4 miles. So, 30k for me would be about 13 miles.

Basically, ditto on what Melanie said.
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    step count
    Sun - 3169
    Mon - 5546
    Tue - 5143
    Wed - 4962
    Thu - 5432
    Fri - 4180
    Sat - 3868

Not a good week
    Only hit my goal of at least 5,000 twice.
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Patsy and I've been in this group for a few years. My original goal was to get down to 145 but cancer hit and the doctors wanted me to maintain (close to 160). I have managed to lose and gain about 5 pounds - you know the yo yo drill.
    I was diagnosed with liver cancer one week before Covid shut everything down in 2020! Bummer times infinity!!
    I had chemo for four months then tried immunotherapy for a year and a half. My tumor shrunk to almost nothing (51 cm to 4 cm) in a year then stalled. Finally at the beginning of this month the doctor conceded that the Keytruda was no longer doing its job. She has arranged for me to try radiation/chemo treatments starting in a couple weeks. I met the radiation/oncologist last week and got the scoop of what to expect. Five weeks, 5 days a week then stop. I hope it kills the cancer so I can get back to seriously losing the 15 pounds I want gone. Of course I may lose some during the treatments but I am so weird that on chemo I was starving all the time and ate more than ever. I expect more of the same now.
    My weight journey is also weird: I weighed 99 pounds when I got married at 18 and 120 the day before each of my kids was born and didn't really start to gain until ten years later. I was at 138 in my mid 30s. After the hysterectomy I started gain a few pounds each year and before I realized it was at 169. I switched from full strength Coke to Zero sugar drinks and lost 20 pounds in two years. And here I am waiting to see what happens in the next six weeks.
  • seltzer_lover
    seltzer_lover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    user name: seltzer_lover
    weigh-in day: Mondays
    SW: 300
    1/24: 259.2
    1/31: 258
  • EDTake2
    EDTake2 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Username: EDTake2
    Weigh In Day: Monday
    PW (Previous Weight): 209.4
    CW (Current Weight): 210.4
  • mxlaw90
    mxlaw90 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Username: mxlaw90
    PW (Previous Weight): 143.2 lbs
    CW (Current Weight): 143.2 lbs

Gyms are finally back open! This month I’m going to really commit to going 4x per week, have a great month everyone!
  • IzzyMillz
    IzzyMillz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Username: IzzyMillz
    PW (Previous Weight): 264.7
    CW (Current Weight): 265.3

Gotta love extra bloating this time of the month 😩😬🙄
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    Options
    minstrelofsarcasm
    February Week One

Weigh In Day:Tuesdays
    PW (Previous Weight): 171.4 (January 25th)
    CW (Current Weight): 170.6 (February 1st)
    LTD (Loss to Date): 63.4 lbs

Moving in the right direction! I'm very sore today, so I'm sure there's some water retention happening in my body (or, at least, I'm hoping). I have a series of food-related plans in the next couple weeks, so this is the time to overcompensate on days when I'm not eating rich foods. I won't be starving myself, but I'll definitely be more strict when it comes to staying within my calorie limit.
This discussion has been closed.