I got this...

ciaoder
ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
The description says, "fitness tips, recipes, and pain remedies are welcome."

It just so happens that I am a 52 year, recently certified personal trainer and nutrition coach, spent my career as a chef, and have bilateral hip replacements. I'm Ken.

Most of my adult life has been a struggle to keep my weight in check. Fortunately my passion had always been for the outdoors...camping and hiking, but especially mountain biking which I excelled at. Mountain biking became less a sport and more of a lifestyle and allowed me to maintain my fitness pretty well, but eventually my body started to breakdown. Osteoarthritis began to be a problem in my early 40's and by the time I went for surgery I was entirely out of shape, 70 pounds overweight, medicating the pain with booze, and almost entirely disabled. I was 46.

About 2 years ago I found myself in the care of the first really good doctor I've ever had and have been working my way back to health. April of last year I joined a gym, by June I started working there just to make sure I would go every day when summer break started, and in July I had my first session with my trainer. I hadn't really had any goals in mind when I started, I'm just kind of a nerd about stuff and wanted to understand the process and science of training. In November I finished my own certification and added the nutrition coach credential last a couple weeks ago.

I'm still working on the weight loss. I have tendonitis in my elbows, arthritis in my neck and shoulders, circulation problems in both legs, chronic hypertension, and am on HRT...so, pretty much every ailment common to our age. I'm glad to be here.

Replies

• JulesNaka
    JulesNaka Posts: 9 Member
    What an inspiring story, Ken! Congrats on your accomplishments! Would love for you to share any healthy recipes!