Everything Keto

Options
I couldn't find a keto-specific thread here in Larger Losers, so I made one! Discussion for all of us who are doing keto! :)

I just finished slowly transitioning to a keto diet (I did it very gradually to avoid the keto flu) and I'm loving it! (I love the results I'm seeing too! Faster weight loss and improved energy, no more mid-afternoon crashes!)

If you're a Larger Loser who is doing keto or plans to start doing keto, add me as a friend!
Tagged:

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    I think @bmeadows380 leans your way.

Since you mentioned keto flu you probably know this.

But for hamster 🐹 management reasons never forget that **initial** __extra__ weight loss on keto induction is a borrowed water weight change that will come back with glycogen replenishment and go away again on return to keto. And will come back again with glycogen replenishment.... and go away again with return to keto. And will...

Misinterpreting this weight movement as actual fat loss and fat gain has cost a lot of grief for a number of people I personally know who may have otherwise found more lasting success using this way of eating.

Beyond that... be healthy, control your calories, and don't forget your vitamins and fiber!
  • denisemlarnder
    denisemlarnder Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's primarily water weight because I reduced my carbs very gradually. :)
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I hope you do well on Keto….there is another lady that has done really well on it….I will try to find her screen name for you….good luck!
  • denisemlarnder
    denisemlarnder Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Very insightful, thanks for the info! :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    Hey @denisemlarnder .... its been almost a month! How are things going? Are you counting calories in addition to eating keto?
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    still needing to count calories is what I've finally started to get through my husband's head when it comes to KETO dieting. I finally got him to see that even keto foods will contribute to weight gain if you don't count the calories; that a calorie is nothing more than a measure of energy, and losing weight still boils down to taking in less energy than your body needs so that you force your body to use what it has stored.

And I've found for me, KETO wasn't working. I need to get to lower carb for my husband because he says he feels better when he's eating lower carb, but the calorie density of the higher fats you eat to replace the carbs I've found doesn't help me at all because fats don't satiate me as well as carbs do.

Course, that makes me think of the old nursery rhyme about Jack Sprat and his wife.......lol
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    still needing to count calories is what I've finally started to get through my husband's head when it comes to KETO dieting. I finally got him to see that even keto foods will contribute to weight gain if you don't count the calories; that a calorie is nothing more than a measure of energy, and losing weight still boils down to taking in less energy than your body needs so that you force your body to use what it has stored.

I couldn't agree more. Staying in ketosis (and still get enough fiber and protein) is all but impossible for me unless I track the calories and macros daily. MFP's app helps. Many of the foods I eat each day I've eaten before so I use a spreadsheet to cut 'n paste a daily tally which saves a lot of time. Makes it easier to plan meals ahead too.