What's On Your Mind Today?

Options
Mrs_Hoffer
Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
This is where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group for help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• Mrs_Hoffer
    Options
    Lessennan wrote: »
    I joined in January before life overwhelmed me so left. I’m going to try harder this time round. The obstacles are here to stay so I have to find ways round them.

Very, very true. I like your spirit @Lessennan !!
  • Lessennan
    Lessennan Posts: 2,965 Member
    Options
    I’m wondering what everyone is planning as their minimum 20 mins exercise.
    I’m hoping to walk much longer than that but if the weather is inclement I’m for 20 mins exercise bike beside the radiator!
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Options
    I’m hoping to walk much longer than that but if the weather is inclement I’m for 20 mins exercise bike beside the radiator!

@Lessennan some people say in their daily post what they did for exercise that day... we have all kinds of things going on!! ;)

Feel free to join us for the remainder of February here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/142439-ultimate-accountability-challenge-february-2022
    where you can see what everyone posts daily (prior to March 1!)
  • Lessennan
    Lessennan Posts: 2,965 Member
    Options
    Getting organised for 1st March.
  • Cowphilosopher
    Cowphilosopher Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I'm hoping to do a lot of cycling and some strength training. Your idea of the exercise bike by the radiator sounds nice and so much better than braving the cold and stormy weather we've been having lately!
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,005 Member
    Options
    @lesdarts180 and anyone else that uses their weekly calorie amount instead of a daily amont to allow extra calories for outings and weekends can u please tell me how u do it??. I love to let me hair down on the w/e at least once or twice a week. I hve been doing this but not saving the calories up which has meant weight loss is very slow. So my plan this month Is to try to eat 100 calories less a day so that I can spluge for 2 days on the w/e without having to stress about the scale. @lesdarts180 is this similar to wat u do? Tell me wat has and has not worked for u. I know we hve spoken about this in the past but i was not ready tp execute it...Thanks in advance xox
  • Caroline_slowandsteady
    Options
    @jmu1965 that looks very relaxing
  • Caroline_slowandsteady
    Options
    I have been struggling with hunger for the last month or so. I wake up hungry, after I eat I want more food, and I am hungry in between meals. That makes it a real struggle to stick to a calorie deficit! That has not been my experience of weight loss so far, and it's been hard.

I posted about it in my daily posts some in February and some kind people offered suggestions. I thought I'd carry that forward to here so maybe other people could also benefit from the suggestions or add their own.

I will say yesterday I was not ridiculously hungry all day, so maybe it is something that is passing? It made me very hopeful.

@Mrs_Hoffer suggested cutting out grains. I have so far in weight loss journey been unwilling to cut anything out completely. But in an effort to help with the hunger I upped my fiber which meant upping my carbs, including grains. So maybe that unintentionally has had the opposite effect.

@Jana_2020 suggested modified fasting. I think I definitely couldn't do full fasting but maybe I could try some kind of modified fasting. I have always been a person who eats a lot of small meals and I get hungry between meals. I wake up hungry and if I don't eat breakfast soon after waking I feel sick. And I do eat a bedtime snack/treat, which I know is not recommended. It's been a thing I think since having kids (my oldest is almost 10). Once I am done with them for the day I relax and eat a cookie. I know it's a bad idea, but when I try cutting out I get so sad about it! But maybe I should at least try that. We eat dinner at 5:30 and I eat breakfast at 7, so that would be a decent window of not eating if I tried that.

@MadisonMolly2017 Offered some suggestions of things she has done towards a healthy diet. And then asked some questions to try to troubleshoot.

1. How much you’ve lost total - As of Jan 1, 25 pounds.
    2. How much you’ve lost since Jan 1 -
    As of this morning I am actually exactly the same weight I was on Jan 1. But I have mostly been trending higher.
    3. Your current BMI & weight
    weight 148.6, BMI 24.7. This hunger problem started right around when I started hovering around the top edge of the "healthy" BMI, and it does make me wonder if maybe that's just as good as it gets? But I would like to be more in the middle of the range.
    4. When you track EVERYTHING, how many calories do you eat?
    That's a hard one to answer because I usually stop tracking when i start to go over my target. I was going for a while with 1200 M-Th, 2000 calories F, 1350 Sat and Sun, and sticking to that and losing. Now I am aiming for 1350 a day but have not succeeded. Monday I maybe for the first time completely tracked a day where my nibbling was out of control and it amounted to an extra ~500 calories, for 1850 calories.
    5. What’s your exercise look like?
    I aim for 15 minutes of MommaStrong (HIIT program) and 30 minutes of walking a day.
    6. Height
    5' 4 3/4'' The BMI calculations above are with rounding up to 5'5'. I never know if that is fair. If I do 5'4'', I am not in the healthy range.
    7. How often are you hungry?
    For the last month, ALL THE TIME. Except for yesterday. Yesterday for some reason I was not super hungry all day, so maybe I am finally on a good road?
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,799 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed: trying to find the right calorie/nutrition balance to lose weight and also build up endurance to cycle longer. I'm 6'1" tall and weigh 148kg this morning. MFP reckons I will lose weight at 2000 calories a day, but that has not been my experience. I will lose weight pretty consistently at 1700 calories/day if I don't exercise. But then yesterday I went for a 3 hour bike ride with one hill and had to take the train home because it wiped me out. I have signed up to ride London Revolution in October and am hoping to have figured out my fueling and cycling plan by then.

It is hard to "train" when you are in a calorie deficit. A 3 hr bike ride is a LOT of energy expended. I try to separate the 2 things if I can. For maintaining weight I use the TDEE method so that I am not yo yo ing calories daily. That means I eat the same amount every day regardless of exercise. There is something about "eating back" exercise calories which always makes me cringe a little because I do see folks saying ohhh I ate 200 over so I am going to go workout now. Or I am going to run an extra 4 miles because I want the nutella. I think when you try to intertwine weight loss like that you put yourself in a bad cycle. (my opinion).

Hopefully as you get closer to your big cycling plan you can switch to maintenance so you can fuel your rides. MFP is always a good starting place to get your calories but then you have to know yourself and get data in order to tailor a plan just for you. And it's never static either because we are ever changing.
  • daciasil21
    daciasil21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Im at a bit of an impass. Ive been sticking to my calories carefully but I got extremely dizzy and numb this evening and incredibly hungry. Ive been hungry for days but I dont remember being this hungry before. I thought I would faint. I ate and after an hour I felt better. my new medication is affecting insulin and I didnt know that. I guess Im wondering how to proceed with calorie restriction and exercising if my medication can be so tempermental.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Cowphilosopher - When I began endurance training I had to be either at maintenance calories or at a very slight deficit. In the end I usually would wind up having a day where I ate everything in site cancelling out whatever small deficit I had accumulated. I found the best results focusing on keeping all the foods I ate as clean as possible (Matt Fitzgerald Diet Quality Score for an example to get some ideas). I also swore by my recovery drink which I kept at a 2:1 carb to protein ratio. You're putting one heck of a beating on your body now and need to take extra care of it in every way so it will reward you when you get to the day of your event. You should also try and learn your resting heart rate if you don't already know it. You can often get ahead of the fatigue associated with overtraining (and even get forewarned of illness) when you see an increase in that metric. Overtraining can take quite a while to properly bounce back from, particularly if you keep pushing and get injured.

Just some thoughts. Best wishes, I'm very excited to hear how things progress with your rides. Very inspiring!
  • makattack220
    makattack220 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    @Caroline_slowandsteady What you're mentioning about small meals and getting hungry reminds me of the process of becoming "fat adapted" vs being a "sugar burner" that a physician and weight loss coach has spoken about on a podcast I follow. Have you ever heard of Katrina Ubell (physician and weight loss/life coach)? Here is a link to free resources on her site. Her free e-books talk about becoming fat adapted and she talks a LOT about this topic (small meals, snacking, getting hungry) in her podcasts (here's a link to her podcasts and there's a podcast roadmap in the above link, too - you can also just listen to her on whatever podcast app you use). Her "niche audience" is other physicians (busy schedules, often restricted on when you can eat, etc) but of course the concepts apply to all busy people. Just thought I'd mention this because her podcasts have helped me change so much of my mindset/habits!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,799 Member
    Options
    daciasil21 wrote: »
    Im at a bit of an impass. Ive been sticking to my calories carefully but I got extremely dizzy and numb this evening and incredibly hungry. Ive been hungry for days but I dont remember being this hungry before. I thought I would faint. I ate and after an hour I felt better. my new medication is affecting insulin and I didnt know that. I guess Im wondering how to proceed with calorie restriction and exercising if my medication can be so tempermental.

the biggest secret to losing weight and maintaining that is misunderstood imo is that it CANNOT absolutely not leave you weak and hungry at all. It sounds like you need to stabilize your medications first and then review a deficit and whay types of foods might help you work within those boundaries better - not just the # of cals. Hope you are feeling better today,
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,726 Member
    Options
    Wow, I just sat down at my laptop after being away from home for a day and a half and there are so many posts and so many questions.

First one: @donna25trinity asked me a question about averaging calories. First, let me remind everyone that I am a little old lady so my calorie requirements are quite low, yours may be higher.
    I am maintaining now but when I was actively losing weight at a reasonable rate (22.5 kg in 9 months ie just over 1lb per week average) I used to reckon on keeping my normal intake at about 1,000 calories a day plus a small part of my exercise calories*. You get a lot of criticism here on MFP if you go that low but I needed to average about 1,200 per day and holidays and days out are bound to be higher. I took several holidays, days out, family celebrations. You can nearly always plan ahead for these occasions and “bank” calories in the same way you might save up for something special. “banking” beforehand is much more effective than going into “debt”.
    Saving 100 calories per day for 5 days is only the equivalent of a dessert or a glass of wine and a chocolate on each of those weekend days. You can’t just indulge without counting.
    If you are going to be very restrictive you have to make every food choice “work” – you need your protein, fibre, vitamins, whatever is important to you.

*I agree with @SummerSkier that “exercise calories” are a mixed blessing, try not to get too hung up on it.