When do the weight increases slow down?

Options
traceyjj
traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
OK This may sound like a silly question to you all, but I've only been lifting for about 2 months now. I am under the guidance of a personal trainer and he seems to be good for me.
Each week so far my lifts have got heavier by a couple of kgs, but I am now wondering how soon I will get to the weight where I struggle to do all my reps, and what happens then? Do I repeat the weight until I can do it, or drop down to the previous weight?

Again, apologies for what is probably a dumb question.
T

Replies

• ZB1110
    ZB1110 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Not a silly question at all. But yes you will have newbie gains and take advantage of them while you can. Lift as heavy as you can. You will eventually get to a point where you won't make the gains like you where. But if I can get at least 12 or more reps it's time to increase the weight to where I have a hard time getting in 8- 10 reps. That is the sweet spot for muscle growth.
  • traceyjj
    Options
    Thanks. My trainer has me lifting sets of 7 reps, and is thinking about dropping to 5 reps, I assume thats so I can go heavier?

He originally set a long term goal of 40Kgs for bench, and 70Kgs for deadlifts, but I've already hit the bench goal, and am trying for the deadlift goal on Monday. He seemed surprised I got there this quickly... which is what prompted my when does it slow down comment :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    You will have a genetic "ceiling" that you will hit, at some point.

Even when you decide to change up your reps (i.e. to 12- or to 15-) to work on, for example, VOLUME, you'll drop back down in the weights.

And then, yep, when you're in the 4- to 6- rep range, you can go higher in weights.

Just make sure your form is proper before you go heavy and heavier....and, recognize that, at some point, you won't be increasing your weights in every single lift, every single time.

Newbie gains are AWESOME, though - so ENJOY THEM WHILE THEY LAST!
  • traceyjj
    Options

Just make sure your form is proper before you go heavy and heavier....and, recognize that, at some point, you won't be increasing your weights in every single lift, every single time.
    My trainer is watching my form, and he's pleased so far. We are revisiting the 40Kg bench next week as my form wasn't consistent across the 7 reps, so he's keen to make sure that is OK before we set a new target, and progress to the next weight. But my deadlifts he seems very pleased with form-wise. We're just beginning work on the weighted squats, working with sandbags on that at the moment, and taking that one slower as I have a knee issue he is aware of, but the deadlifts have seemed to help strengthen that area up somewhat.