Pull up challenge

Options
Happyness4me2
Happyness4me2 Posts: 37 Member
I posted a pull up challenge in the main community page under "challenges" (not sure how to link it here). Essentially I want to nail an unassisted pull up. I was able to do one before but have put on a few pounds and lost strength since that time. I'm going to follow this plan added to a 3 day full body strength routine.
https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/do-a-pull-up/

If anyone wants to join me on this challenge, even if you use a different plan, let me know!

Replies

• zenobia9777
    zenobia9777 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    That is a really good challenge. I don't know if I'm up to it but I will investigate
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Would love to try this challenge. My left elbow has been hurting and hopefully getting back into shape will help the elbow. I don't have a bar to do a pull-up on, but I'll figure something out by the time we get to the point in the challenge that I'll need one.
  • Happyness4me2
    Options
    That is a really good challenge. I don't know if I'm up to it but I will investigate

Let me know if your decide to go for it!
  • Happyness4me2
    Options
    Would love to try this challenge. My left elbow has been hurting and hopefully getting back into shape will help the elbow. I don't have a bar to do a pull-up on, but I'll figure something out by the time we get to the point in the challenge that I'll need one.

I'm just doing the inverted rows right now. I do have a doorframe pull up bar for even I get to that point. Maybe one if those or use some monkey bars at a local park?
    I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!
  • stacyrey12
    stacyrey12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I took a year to work up to one, then worked up to six. You can do it! I can't do anything overhead currently, but I'll follow along.
  • Happyness4me2
    Options
    stacyrey12 wrote: »
    I took a year to work up to one, then worked up to six. You can do it! I can't do anything overhead currently, but I'll follow along.

I would love to be able to do 6! Thanks for the support!
  • Happyness4me2
    Options
    I'm definitely able to move on to level 3, but I think I'll stay on level 2 for this week and then move on next week.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've got my own lifting routine, and am back to being able to do 1-3 unassisted pull ups in a row (depending on which grip I'm using), but I used to be able to do 15 back in the day...so my goal is to get to 20 regardless of grip type. That'll take a while - still carrying extra weight right now too, and while I've been steadily sticking to that plan since late December, that's still extra poundage I'm having to lift LOL!
  • k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    This sounds interesting! @Happyness4me2 or someone - can you post a summary of the challenge? Or is it too long? For some reason the link won't open for me. I don't have access to more than a simple home gym in terms of equipment, but we are next a park with pull up bars. Maybe I will go give it a try and see if I can pull one off (or up) right now!
  • Happyness4me2
    Options
    It's basically working from
    Level 1 dumbbell row up to 25 pounds for 3 sets of 8 reps

Level 2 inverted bodyweight row up to 45 degree angle for 3 sets of 8 reps

Level 3 assisted pull ups for 3 sets of 8 reps

Level 4 top holds 4 sets of 10 sec and bar hangs 30 sec hold

Level 5 negative pull ups 4 sets of 1 rep

Level 6 pull ups/chin ups

This is very simplified. Most of the levels have some involvement of previous levels. They also include some modifiers. They also recommended adding planks into your routine.

Here's the link again
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/do-a-pull-up/

If that doesn't work if you just go to nerdfitness.com and search pull ups in sure you can find the instructions. Or maybe Google nerd fitness how to get your first pull up.
  • Happyness4me2
    Options
    I've got my own lifting routine, and am back to being able to do 1-3 unassisted pull ups in a row (depending on which grip I'm using), but I used to be able to do 15 back in the day...so my goal is to get to 20 regardless of grip type. That'll take a while - still carrying extra weight right now too, and while I've been steadily sticking to that plan since late December, that's still extra poundage I'm having to lift LOL!

Yes, I have extra weight too. I'm sure this is making my progress more difficult. I'm trying to slowly drop a few pounds to help with this. Good luck!!!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    How goes the progress this week? I was able to up my weights and/or reps on most of my lifts yesterday, so small steps in the right direction!
  • Happyness4me2
    Options
    How goes the progress this week? I was able to up my weights and/or reps on most of my lifts yesterday, so small steps in the right direction!

That's awesome! It's going well, I started the assisted pull ups today and I'm already at the max level so I'm going to move on to the next level on Thursday. I guess I thought I lost more strength than I did. Thank you for asking!
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options

I'm just doing the inverted rows right now. I do have a doorframe pull up bar for even I get to that point. Maybe one if those or use some monkey bars at a local park?

Thanks for the suggestions. I recently moved and am not too familiar with my new town yet, but I did a search and there's a park with fitness bars. We took a ride past there this afternoon and it looks like the perfect spot to use until I get something permanent in my house. (I have a bar that fits in a door opening, but when I tried to use it in our previous house it pulled the frame loose - not sure if I was positioning it wrong or if the opening just wasn't the right place for it)
    Anyway thanks and hope everyone participating here reaches their goals.
  • Happyness4me2
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions. I recently moved and am not too familiar with my new town yet, but I did a search and there's a park with fitness bars. We took a ride past there this afternoon and it looks like the perfect spot to use until I get something permanent in my house. (I have a bar that fits in a door opening, but when I tried to use it in our previous house it pulled the frame loose - not sure if I was positioning it wrong or if the opening just wasn't the right place for it)
    Anyway thanks and hope everyone participating here reaches their goals.

That park sounds great! I think we have one near us too that I might try out. My door frame pull up bar is a bit awkward so I think I need to find something else.
  • stacyrey12
    stacyrey12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to stop by and say keep it up everyone! You're all doing amazing things!
  • Happyness4me2
    Options
    I'm still doing this! I've just been busy and not been on social media very much. I'm stuck on the pull up negatives right now.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    I'm starting this again, for the third time (but third time's a charm, right? :p )
    I'm on the dumbbell rows, started with 7.5 pounds Wednesday but that was pretty light so I'm going up to 10 # tomorrow.
  • nightheronz
    nightheronz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get my first pull-up too! I'm currently doing 3x5 band-assisted pullups, 3x8 inverted rows, and 3x10 scapular pullups. (along with other strength training). My main problem is that I haven't been getting out the the calisthenics bars at the park very often, but I'm hoping to do it at least 2x a week now that the weather is nicer.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    I'm moving up to 20# weight for the dumbbell row tomorrow.