Beginners Advice Please

Options
bikerchick82
bikerchick82 Posts: 11 Member
Hello All! I am looking for advice or to be pointed in the right direction :)

I am going to join our local gym which has basic weight machines, free weight, basic cardio machines. I had a one day free pass and worked out on all the machines 2 sets of 10 reps at a weight that was easy at first but hard at the end. (A mix of lower and upper body - 15 machines in all) It felt amazing. I WAS NOT sore in the morning. Here are my questions:
Should I have been sore? Is soreness a sign of a good workout?
Should I lift on all the machines every workout?
How often should I lift?
What are the best free weight routines?
How do you know what is the right weight to be lifting?
How many reps/sets should I do?
How long should I lift for?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :) Thank you.

Replies

• ZB1110
    ZB1110 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would suggest hiring a trainer who can set up a program for you based on your goals and they can also show you how to use proper form for different exercises. Then also start reading magazines and websites and educate yourself on exercises. But starting out you don't necessarily want to be sore though a little soreness is good.
    Good luck.
  • zerogramsfat
    Options
    I'm sort of in the same place, I have no idea how to even start strength training and trying to google it has been NO help haha.
    Sadly I don't have a gym to go to, but I have some basic weights in my home.
    If you end up getting some advice, let me know! Haha
  • melba_321
    melba_321 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a program called P90X. It's suppose to be very good, with a lot of variety...and only requires the use of weight bands and a yoga mat (which are all very inexpensive and easy to store away...literally & figuratively). I'll be going to the gym too, but thought this P90X program would be one of the most useful to get me up there...and I can choose to take my workout schedule to the gym if I want (and use the equipment instead of weight bands).
  • jmartis21
    jmartis21 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the New Rules of Lifting for Women Program, the book is available on amazon. I recommend getting the actual book vs. the Kindle because it's great to have while your performing the workouts. I really like it so far!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Should I have been sore? Is soreness a sign of a good workout? --Not necessarily..... With that said, in MY personal experience, if I'm not sore after taking a long time off, I know I need to up the weight.... But my goal is to build muscle

Should I lift on all the machines every workout? You can. That would just be considered a full body workout... I would alternate days if this is the way you go. Maybe do full body MWF and cardio on the in between days (depending on your goals). Also, talking to a trainer might alleviate this problem. Not knowing which machines you're using, you could be doing some repetitive work that's not necessary.

How often should I lift? Depending on the program (like I mentioned above). I do a different body part everyday, I'm currently on a four day split- meaning I hit all of my body parts in 4 days.

What are the best free weight routines? Depends on your goals. LiveFit Trainer by Jaime Eason is a good beginners program (visit this site for a COMPLETE breakdown including nutrition, printable workouts, and videos that show you the correct form for each lift http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html)

How do you know what is the right weight to be lifting? Depends on your goals, once again. If your goal is mostly weight loss, many people like to do higher reps with less weight. Those building muscle do less reps with more weight. (example- bicep dumbbell curls: i curl 25lbs. per arm for 8 reps, 4 sets. and my goal is to build muscle. Someone mainly interested in losing weight would maybe curl 10 lbs per arm and do 20-25 reps and 3 sets [that's on the higher end of the rep scale]) The correct weight for your chosen rep range is a weight that isn't impossible, but it gets pretty tough on your last couple reps of each set

How many reps/sets should I do? Refer to answer above =)

How long should I lift for? My routine is an hour a day. Some programs are shorter, some longer.

You could benefit from one, maybe two sessions with a trainer if your super brand new. You definitely want to get the correct form down so you don't hurt yourself. It's very easy to hurt yourself when you think you're doing something right when you're actually doing it wrong. Also, a trainer could help you find the correct starting weights for your lifts depending on your goals. Good luck!
  • There are great apps for smartphones that also show different workouts you can do for each area (ex biceps, chest etc) They show them being performed with machines, body weight and with free weights. I recommend working upper body one day and lower body the next day until you are used to lifting. Then you can start working on the target zones that you want to improve. I also recommend light weights at first with high reps. Evaluate after a few weeks if you need to increase the weight by how easy it is to complete (this is for toning not necessarily building large muscle). I usually do two sets of 15 reps with the 3rd set completing a failure load (completing more than 15 until you cant do anymore). If you dont know how to do the lift, ask a trainer, gym worker or usually you can seek the internet out to see how its done.

Dont do too much too fast and tear muscles.. It will take a long time to heal..

Good Luck.
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hello All! I am looking for advice or to be pointed in the right direction :)

I am going to join our local gym which has basic weight machines, free weight, basic cardio machines. I had a one day free pass and worked out on all the machines 2 sets of 10 reps at a weight that was easy at first but hard at the end. (A mix of lower and upper body - 15 machines in all) It felt amazing. I WAS NOT sore in the morning. Here are my questions:
    Should I have been sore? Is soreness a sign of a good workout?
    Should I lift on all the machines every workout?
    How often should I lift?
    What are the best free weight routines?
    How do you know what is the right weight to be lifting?
    How many reps/sets should I do?
    How long should I lift for?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :) Thank you.

^^^THIS^^^.......Hello all, my name is Teresa and .I am new to this group. I have the same question as the OP. I recently purchase TNROLFW, and I am loving it. I have not started lifting yet, as I have to fit it in my crazy busy schedule.

My question also is...."In order to do the Dumb bell arm lifts, is it necessary to have a bench or can I use a chair or ???"

Thank you