Hungry!

Options
LisaYon
LisaYon Posts: 22 Member
35 days in 9 lbs down but the last 2 days I have had an incredible appetite. Hanging in there though.. Go ahead and visit my diary and leave suggestions please! I'm sitting drinking a ton of water waiting for support! Ugh.. I just want some crappy food :-(

Replies

• PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary (is it set to public?) However, I was in the same boat a couple of weeks ago. Just a sudden increase in appetite. I did not up my calorie intake (though I thought about it). I did, however, increase the amount of protein and carbs I was eating. When I reviewed my diary, it seemed that in those two categories, one always came up quite a bit short by the end of the day.

I also wondered if my sudden increase in appetite had to do with a visit from Aunt Flo. I wasn't really craving anything in particular though, just ravenous all the way around. The appetite increase started a whole week before my period and continued until it was gone. I am going to be more observant this month and see if a pattern develops.

I ate a lot of string cheese, Greek yogurt and pistachios to try to take the edge off the hunger. A couple of days I really blew it though. I hope you find greater will-power than I did.
  • matty4130
    Options
    I get that way too, just super hungry. Solution for me? Eat more often. Eat Bacon. Ill also mix in some awesome Torani sugar free drink flavors in zero carb protein shakes. I generally try to fool myself into thinking I am eating badly. Good Luck!! Keep at it!!
  • LisaYon
    LisaYon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Whoops.. It's open now
  • Everlearn
    Everlearn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Protein first. I try to have protein with anything I eat...helps balance out the carbs, and manages spikes/drops in blood sugar, which can lead to that hunger.

That said, I think there's something to be said for volume. I know it's about calories, but sometimes I just need to eat volume to make it feel like I'm really eating, and to fill me. So: nutrient-dense, calorie-poor, fiber-rich foods. For less than 100 calories, you can have three or four whole tomatoes. A cup or more of zucchini, green beans, brussels sprouts, asparagus, beets. A bowl of broth-based vegetable soup. If you're not a veggie person, lots of fruits do the same thing. Blueberries. Blackberries. Strawberries. Cantaloupe. Kiwi.

I tend to load up my dinners this way. Every night, I'll have my (mostly) lean protein. But then I have a lot of beets. And zucchini. And tomatoes. And brussels sprouts. And so on. So, try a bit of protein, with a good amount of high-volume veggies or fruit, and I think it might help combat hunger.
  • Bonvivebooks
    Options
    Have some seaweed! No, really. Those seaweed snacks are flavorful, crisp, and shut my hungry feelings down a bit.
  • Bonvivebooks
    Options
    Careful with the beets and fruits. There's lots of sugar in there! Healthy sugars, but you don't want to overdue even the best kinds.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm consistently losing which is good, but I'm also hungry a lot of the time. One of my MFP pals suggested eating more protein and fats (eg nuts) and that's helping a lot.
    I also eat platefuls of veggies at every meal, it fills me up :-)
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    The Trader Joe's roasted seaweed sheets are THE BEST, and only 99 cents!!! I use these instead of eating chips or adding salt. Great suggestion!
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm consistently losing which is good, but I'm also hungry a lot of the time. One of my MFP pals suggested eating more protein and fats (eg nuts) and that's helping a lot.

I eat CONSTANTLY all day - from an hour within waking up to an hour before going to bed. I have 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and 3 snacks (AM, PM, late night). SO -- in order to do that successfully and stay within my calorie limit, I've got to make some pretty hard choices.

However, I've managed to do it - and I've found that particularly with lunch and dinner, it helps to have a well-rounded meal. What I mean is, a protein, lots of veggies, and some fruit. Often times with my fave lunch sandwich (turkey breast and black forest ham on Sara Lee 45 cal whole wheat bread, with avocado instead of mayo, sprouts, red lettuce leaves, and cucumbers) I will have a side of mixed berries - strawberries, blackberries, and/or raspberries. It's A LOT of food and the veggies and fruit really don't add up to many calories!

Also, consider what snacks you're eating...I found these delicious mini-edamame crackers at Trader Joe's - one serving is approx 36 crackers, which is A LOT! I usually have these with 2 TBSP of an Alouette light spread and voila! Low cal snack, but A LOT of it!

I agree with a previous poster - I do find that when I have a lot of protein I am not as hungry, and I drop weight much faster, as well. I've also upped my water intake; I drink about 12 glasses everyday! The only way I can do it is by bringing my 44 oz 7-Eleven cup to work! In my mind, it's only drinking "1 cup" as opposed to 3 bottled waters...mentally, it's easier for me to get around it and before I know it, I'm done with the entire 44 oz cup!

Here's a pic of my lunch bag for TODAY:
    nV3UfmV.jpg
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options

I eat CONSTANTLY all day - from an hour within waking up to an hour before going to bed. I have 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and 3 snacks (AM, PM, late night). SO -- in order to do that successfully and stay within my calorie limit, I've got to make some pretty hard choices.

However, I've managed to do it - and I've found that particularly with lunch and dinner, it helps to have a well-rounded meal. What I mean is, a protein, lots of veggies, and some fruit. Often times with my fave lunch sandwich (turkey breast and black forest ham on Sara Lee 45 cal whole wheat bread, with avocado instead of mayo, sprouts, red lettuce leaves, and cucumbers) I will have a side of mixed berries - strawberries, blackberries, and/or raspberries. It's A LOT of food and the veggies and fruit really don't add up to many calories!

Also, consider what snacks you're eating...I found these delicious mini-edamame crackers at Trader Joe's - one serving is approx 36 crackers, which is A LOT! I usually have these with 2 TBSP of an Alouette light spread and voila! Low cal snack, but A LOT of it!

I agree with a previous poster - I do find that when I have a lot of protein I am not as hungry, and I drop weight much faster, as well. I've also upped my water intake; I drink about 12 glasses everyday! The only way I can do it is by bringing my 44 oz 7-Eleven cup to work! In my mind, it's only drinking "1 cup" as opposed to 3 bottled waters...mentally, it's easier for me to get around it and before I know it, I'm done with the entire 44 oz cup!

Here's a pic of my lunch bag for TODAY:
    nV3UfmV.jpg

wow! nice lunch!!
  • jenmck5
    jenmck5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I need volume sometimes. When I need to feed my face with two hands and completely wipe out a container of something just to feel sane (I know it doesn't sound sane) I will air pop a bowl of popcorn use low cal spray butter and have at it. I haven't done that in a while so I'm hoping that I weaning myself of that habit. I now pack snacks for work too - and I feel that I am eating all day long and staying below. I know I will have to change my diet to cleaner foods to lose the last bit of weight but I've done well so far. Drinking more water always helps too! I love skinnytaste.com for great ideas. Good luck and happy eating!
  • HEATHERACU73
    HEATHERACU73 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you are like me, the week before my period is the worst. I crave meat and fat like no one's business. At that point, I just know that my body is telling myself something and I go get myself a burger. But I'm of the opinion that binging once in a while when my body really needs it is ok.

Unless that's not you. Is your body craving fat, sugar or salt or is it just needing to feel expanded with food?
  • chris2267
    chris2267 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Usually for me when I am real hungry it's because I haven't had enough fat. I usually eat 1/2 avocado with eggs in the morning cooked in coconut oil. I rarely am hungry between breakfast and lunch. Also helps keep the bad cravings away.