30 Day Back to Health Challenge

Options
Lopeyp
Lopeyp Posts: 1,316 Member
This is a challenge that was posted on Eating Well awhile ago.
Each day I will post an item to work on for that day: make a plan, drink water, add vegetables, etc. to help us get back on track to health.

The challenge starts tomorrow 4/24.

Use this template to track:
Name
Days Completed

Replies

• GeocacherLosingIt
    GeocacherLosingIt Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Diane - are you okay if I start a separate exercise challenge? It looks like that wouldn't conflict with this one.

Thanks,

Peggy
  • ruthe_51
    ruthe_51 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Diane, is everything okay? I'm watching for your posting. I hope I'm not misunderstanding what is to happen.
  • GeocacherLosingIt
    GeocacherLosingIt Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I made you mad by talking about a separate challenge. That wasn't my intention.
  • Lopeyp
    Options
    No worries. My old brain and being slammed at work totally blocked out MFP.
    Peggy - if you want to start a challenge go ahead. No worries.
  • Lopeyp
    Options
    v0gyp9tceyeb.jpg

Day 1: Make a plan for one day this week.
    At the beginning of each week, make a plan to help you get back on track. Write out the meals (or even just the dinners) you plan to have this week. This will help you streamline your grocery list to save money and avoid food waste. You can also make a plan for exercise to help up your movement.
  • ruthe_51
    Options
    Name: Ruth
    Days Completed - 1

I planned Friday's in particular - liver and onions. I love that every once in a while.
  • kde490
    kde490 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Name: Kenya
    Days Completed: 1

I planned breakfast.
    Thursday - oatmeal with raisins, banana, crystalized ginger, and walnuts
    Friday - grits, eggs, sausage patties, sauteed mushrooms and cherry tomatoes

Yum Ruth. I love liver and onions.
  • Lopeyp
    Options
    ahqqbz9fxh1a.jpg

Day 2: Drink 4 glasses of water
    Staying hydrated is super important, especially when you are trying to get back on track. There are tons of health benefits associated with drinking enough water, from clearer skin to a better mood. Some people find it helpful to drink a glass of water before a meal to feel full faster and help with portion control.

• ruthe_51
    Options
    Name: Ruth
    Days Completed - 2

I drank my water!
  • kde490
    Options
    Kenya

Water is my drink of choice.
  • janeem1
    janeem1 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    planned my dinners for the weekend and drank my water. water is my drink of choice also
  • Lopeyp
    Options
    8ktbwmiv0zbc.jpg

Day 3: Try a new recipe
    Swap traditional noodles in a pasta recipe and save on carbs

I make zucchini noodles a lot. They aren't as filling as regular pasta but less calories. 😃

• ruthe_51
    Options
    I didn't try a new recipe although I see the value of it. Good idea though!
  • Lopeyp
    Options
    684kmxktjvpd.jpg

Day 4: Back off on booze
    Take one day (or more, if you like) off from drinking. Though it can be tempting to have a nightly glass of wine or a fun summery cocktail, your body will thank you for the occasional break. Alcohol can absolutely be part of a healthy eating pattern, but moderation is key.

• kde490
    Options
    Kenya

I tried a new side dish - riced cauliflower and broccoli in cheese sauce (from Aldi).
    I'm on day 6 of my booze break.
  • janeem1
    janeem1 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I tried a new recipe. mafalda pasta with yellow tomatoes and peppers. It was a different kind of pasta from any I had used before but not really a lower cal swap

I have one glass of wine left in the bottle that will get finished tonight and then I will take a booze break.
  • Lopeyp
    Options
    :) You guys are doing great. I don't drink much so my break looks like most days.
  • Lopeyp
    Options
    5y1a6gtvhtkk.jpg

Day 5: Take a walk:
    Make your morning coffee to-go and start your day with a walk, or go for a stroll as a family after dinner. Adding bouts of movement, like walking, biking or gardening throughout your day can help you get closer to the daily recommended amount of activity, feel more energized and boost your metabolism.

• ruthe_51
    Options
    I don't really drink either so I don't know if that's something I can take credit for.
  • Lopeyp
    Options
    7s2cw617xi89.jpg

Day 6: Add vegetables
    Vegetables are the cornerstone of a healthy eating pattern, and adding them to what you already eat can help you boost your daily intake. Add spinach to smoothies, onions and peppers to tomato sauce, or make a side salad to pair with your meal for a delicious veggie boost.

This is something that I need to work at.