May 31 goal weight: 169.9

Apr 30 ending: 175.6
    May 1: 175.9
    May 8:
    May 15:
    May 22:
    May 29:
    May 31:

Setting a very high goal for the month, but I have extra motivation because it’s my birthday month. Let’s see what happens. 🤷🏽‍♀️
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,282 Member
    Options
    No walking for me this weekend!! Workout w/trainer yesterday because we both have this stupid runny nose, and today Ronan had a soccer game and we are his cheering section. Then everyone came over here for lunch and conversation. I have been reading since they all left!! :D
    Chris
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,234 Member
    Options
    Went to my besties’ gym today and took a Barre class with her. It was one hour and I’ve been recovering this evening, it was one of the toughest classes that I’ve ever tried.

Ksthy
  • cpanus
    Options
    Kathy, I've never done Barre. I've only done yoga...I'll ask my trainer what the difference is. Are you going to do it again???
    Will be doing a 60 min workout w/my trainer this afternoon. I might try for a walk around the school after I get back. We'll see.
    Chris
  • KAR1959
    Options
    cpanus wrote: »
    Kathy, I've never done Barre. I've only done yoga...I'll ask my trainer what the difference is. Are you going to do it again???
    Will be doing a 60 min workout w/my trainer this afternoon. I might try for a walk around the school after I get back. We'll see.
    Chris

Yes, I’m going to go to another class this week. From my understanding Barre incorporates yoga, strength training and ballet. We used lighter weights with high reps to build strength. The goal is to build strength and build long, lean muscles. It was tough!
  • kjs1228
    kjs1228 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Kathy - my yoga study doss Barre...tried one class and really liked it!

I walked the 1.3 miles to and from yoga class yesterday....it was 70 degrees ans GORGEOUS! Felt good to see the sun.

Karen
  • KAR1959
    Options
    Full body strength training - 70 minutes and treadmill - 30 minutes. This evening I went to a water aerobics class with my bestie. That was 60 minutes. I set in the hot tub after for 15 minutes. It felt so good!

Dad has an appointment tomorrow at 9:00. Not sure if I’ll make it to PF.

Kathy
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,685 Member
    Options
    May have been able to get back on Keto. It's so hard! Been trying for months and gaining weight the whole time. It's only been a few days, but the craving seem reduced and I've lost 3 pounds. Fingers crossed.

Shelley, You asked about keto clues. I'm not a nutritionist but here's what seems to work for me:
    Keto is where the body burns fat instead of other fuels, like carbs (sugar) and alcohol. Those other fuels are easier to break down; and the body will grab them first. So to force the body to burn fat; you have to starve it of carbs & alcohol; so that it doesn't have any choice but to use fat.

It takes 2-3 weeks for the body to switch; but once it does; it runs differently. While you're switching; it's important to be stringent, cut back on carbs as much as possible; and fight the cravings that will continue until it's readjusted.

Once the body has gone into a keto (fat-burning) mode, you can introduce a little low-glycemic carbs (vegetables, a few whole grains, ) - and especially high-protein ones (turkey jerky, beans, nut-based cheese, etc.). And once it's burning fats, it seems to stay in that groove. I can even have a whiskey every couple of weeks.

I try to get as close to 0gm carbs a day while switching over. But once I'm in maintenance, I can stick with it keeping under 50gm carbs a day.

Not only do you have to cut carbs/alcohol; you also have to give it good fats to burn. Note that fats are something you have to have; not something to avoid. I think fats make up 20% of my daily caloric intake. But find what works for you.

I eat "good" fats - I cook with olive oil and eat poultry. Tree nuts, peanuts and coconut rule. Avocados are worth their weight in gold. I do not eat dairy or red meat products, which increase bad cholesterol levels. You can get egg cartons that are made from egg whites - no yolks. (But I do, however, eat whole eggs and mayonnaise - my body processes them well. My cholesterol levels are perfect.)

I also need a lot of protein. This provides amazing energy, by the way.

So that's the hard part. Once I switch to keto, it's embarrassing how easy it is. The cravings go away and I don't miss any of that highly processed, high-glycemic, addictive sugar/flour/carb stuff. The yummy savory stuff is so satisfying. And I feel satiated all the time. I also make things out of almond or coconut milk & flour.

In maintenance, I eat primarily vegies (cauliflower sauted in olive oil with salt is yummy), proteins and oils (nuts, protein powder drinks), rice crackers (I need some starch but limit it), soups, chilis, tunafish or egg salad, etc etc etc.... I keep something like a chicken stew (no starchy vegetables) or chicken patties, or turkey deli meat, etc. in the refrigerator to snack on.

Best of luck to y'all.
    <3 paula

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHY!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,685 Member
    Options
    BTW, the reason it has been so hard for me to switch to keto this year, is because I keep giving in to the cravings, or the alcohol before my body has completely readjusted to fat-burning mode. And that completely undermines all the hard work and kicks me back to square one. I just don't have the will-power when I'm in carb-burning mode.

Trying,
    Paula
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,854 Member
    Options
    Kathy I have done Barre before. Great exercise. You got this.
    Karen so glad you are still going to yoga.
    Chris that must have been fun watching him play. Grew so quickly
    Paula wow. So much information.

Still doing body pump. And playing in the garden.

Shelley

• kjs1228
    Options
    Walked 40 mins. Beautiful day!

Karen
  • cpanus
    Options
    Nothing so far today. Put our house in order for our housekeeper...a few steps back and forth. Must leave the kitchen now...
    Chris
  • KAR1959
    Options
    Same Chris. Getting ready for Mother’s Day weekend. A little walking and not much else. Dad had appointment and Mom had home health visit. Then grocery store.

Kathy
  • cpanus
    Options
    I have a 60 min workout coming up w/my trainer at noon then we have Ronan's soccer practice at 3:30.
    Chris
  • kjs1228
    Options
    I was in the office yesterday which is always dreadful for my exercise by the time I get home;(

May try to do yoga tonight if i can fit it in!

Karen
  • cpanus
    Options
    My weight just keeps going up and up...sigh.
    Managed 7.22 miles in 132 mins this afternoon. Beautiful day!
    Chris
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,854 Member
    Options
    Karen I have to fight myself to fit in a workout. I know the struggle.

Mother's day should be a great time with family. Enjoy it

I planted some toad lilies tonight after work. Then walked around the yard looking at everything waking up. Lots of tulips and daffodils. Skipped my yoga to spend time with my mom. Puzzle time.

Tomorrow we are having family over for dinner and a 3D movie. Never know when the television will stop working. Better enjoy it now.

Hoping to get off early to workout.

Shelley
  • KAR1959
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Yesterday 50 minutes on Treadmill and 15 minute abs workout. Spent Wednesday evening with Ron as he’s going home to Jackson for Mother’s Day weekend.

Karen and Shelley fitting in a workout can be a struggle when you’re working. Y’all have to join Chris and I in retirement. 😉

Shelley we have knockout roses blooming and daylillies about to as well. We’re looking at adding a new flower bed on the shaded side of the house with the hydrangea.

Wishing you all a Happy Mother’s Day. ❤️

Kathy
  • cpanus
    Options
    Happy Mother's Day, my friends!!
    60 min workout w/my trainer this afternoon. It was a tough workout!!
    Strange sky today...half the sky had this huge dark, nasty cloud and the other half was beautiful bright blue and clear. Weird!
    Chris
  • cpanus
    Options
    If all the stars align correctly, I'll be walking to the post office this afternoon. Ronan is here for a bit while his parents get their eyes examined then run some errands.
    Have a great Saturday my friends!
    Chris