New to MFP and in Pre-Op stage for Gastric Bypass - Surgery will be late 2022

Options
lilysgastricbypassjourney
lilysgastricbypassjourney Posts: 4 Member
edited April 2022 in Social Groups
Hello! I'm taking the 6th month maintenance classes required. I've already had lab work and EGD (Upper GI endoscopy) performed. I do have GERD/LPR (which I already knew prior to the EGD). I also have sleep apnea and a c-pap machine. I've chosen the gastric bypass for my surgery and my reasons are on my profile page. I'll be done with the 6th month classes required in September, but Dr Antonetti is booked out 2 to 3 months. So, I assume I'll be getting the surgery around November or December. I'm excited and I can't wait to have amazing results. The next step is getting my psych evaluation which is mainly to understand the weight loss surgery isn't a cure. You still have to work hard to change your lifestyle and eating habits as down the road regain is possible if old eating habits come back. I'm ready to make the change and I'm hoping the weight loss surgery will be an incentive and tool to help me get to my goal weight and an incentive to reinvent a healthy relationship with food.

39, female, 5'6", heaviest weight 276.8 lbs. I'm currently 271 lbs and following a healthier diet per my doctor until of course surgery of which I believe I have to go on liquids for a little while prior to surgery. I don't know much about that as we haven't talked through those steps, yet.

Friend me and let me know how you're doing and how you're feeling if you're in your pre-op stage and about to receive surgery and/or what you're going through if you've already had the surgery. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Good luck!

Replies

• dukesduchess350
    dukesduchess350 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is melissa. I just had the bypass don on 11/2. I have had some issues with surgery. I've also have had issues since surgery of being able to keep liquids and food. Most days I dont want to eat because i feel full all the time. I've had the same symptoms as you before surgery. Good luck if you havent had surgery yet!
  • HazelGrazie
    HazelGrazie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to watching your progress! It's an adventure but well worth it!

2+years post op-gastric bypass. Start program:312 lbs, pre-op after 8 months on program-277 lbs, current weight-156 lbs. Here for a few more lbs loss and maintenance but happy where I'm at too.
  • mychellelynne
    mychellelynne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Pre-Op diet doing on now. I have RNY 12/20. I am on day 7 of 14 Liver Shrinking Diet. So far, if I stay away from food I am fine. It will be worth it in the end.
  • lilysgastricbypassjourney
    Options
    Good luck to those who recently had the surgery and to those who are surgery veterans!

@dukesduchess350 I had my surgery 11/29/22 and I've dropped 53 lbs since my heaviest and I understand the eating thing. I'm living off protein shakes, soups and sugar free pudding right now. I'm working on eating slower and much much smaller bites as my pouch can't handle much meat but I am pushing to try to get it in. I also sip all day long to reach my water goals. It's a struggle but worth it and I'd do it over again in a minute. I still have 89.8 lbs to go to my goal weight but I already feel healthier and just able to move around more freely and easier.

@HazelGrazie thank you! And your journey has been amazing! I can't wait to get in 1derland as it's been a decade since I've seen that number. I can't wait to be down within my ideal weight range. My goal is 135 lbs. 24.8 lbs from 1 Der land and 89.8 lbs to goal!

@mychellelynne good luck with your surgery! I hope it was a success! The recovery is different for everyone but I hope yours is going smoothly. It's a new way of living and new way of relating to food and learning your new stomach!
  • mychellelynne
    mychellelynne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am almost 4 weeks out and feel great!