Tea

I like iced tea. Not hot tea so much. I like it plain and without sugar, although I occasionally like it with lemon. My question is, can this be a water substitute on keto, or do I need to drink more water to compensate for drinking tea as a water substitute? Also, is green, black, other, or no tea preferred? Thanks. :)

Replies

• Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    I hate drinking plain water, so I mostly drink tea. I make my own tea and usually only have green tea or herbal tea. That said, a word of caution: always read the ingredients on bottled tea (seriously, some teas have like 40g carbs in them!) and even on tea bags. Some Celestial Seasoning teas will list just tea as an ingredient, but others have "flavors" and "soy letchin" and other random things.

As long as you know that you are truly just drinking tea, it's the same as water. Just beware of the faux teas out there that have extras.
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    I have always gone by the rule that if it has caffeine in it, it can't be a water substitute. Maybe try decaf tea? That is just flavored water.
  • ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    tea has caffine in it and that is a natural diuretic. I drink alot of coffee so I compensate by drinking water, cup for cup wth coffee. The only things I replace water with and count as water is flavored water, club soda, mineral water, sprite zero, diet 7up, these are all caffine free and no artificial coloring. Crystal light is a substitute occasionally, if it is the lighter colored beverages like lemonades...etc...