What kind of progress did you make in 6 months?

Options
danigirl258
danigirl258 Posts: 12 Member
Hello! I'm a complete newbie to weightlifting, so I decided to sign up with a personal trainer (who is also a former professional bodybuilder) last night. I'll be working with him 3x per week. My big motivation to get serious about weightlifting is a trip to New Zealand in 6 months! I want to be as fit as possible before going. I'm 5'6" and weigh 160 lbs. I'd like to drop at least 20 lbs and look much fitter before going on my trip, but I don't want to be unrealistic about the changes I might see.

I'm just curious as to what kind of results most of you saw in your first 6 months of beginning a weightlifting program. Did you see big changes in your body and weight?

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    I did see changes in my shape, and that was due to the heavy-lifting. Unfortunately, my first 6 months I gained scale weight (i.e. I gained bodyfat), which really means I was eating too many calories.

Losing 20 lbs in 6 months is 100% possible. But, you'll have to closely monitor your calories to make sure you are in the necessary and continous calorie-deficit necessary to pull that off.

Remember:

a) calorie-deficit to lose body fat;
    b) lift heavy free weights to change body shape.

These are NOT the same thing and BOTH of them, with accuracy, will be necessary to reach your goals in 6 months.