Looking for vegan friends/accountabilibuddies

Options
Hiya! My name is Erika, I am almost 32 years old, and I live in central Missouri with my sister and our 16-year-old Chihuahua. I have followed a plant-based diet off and on for almost a decade now, but a lot of eating disorder issues held me back from fully committing to a vegan lifestyle. I have done a ton of inner work and healing over the years, however, and I am now so ready to have a completely vegan diet and lifestyle.

My desire to be vegan is three-fold: for the animals, for the environment, as well as for my health. I have read and listened to a bunch of material at this point from Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. Michael Greger, Dr. Garth Davis, as well as many other doctors, professionals, committees and organizations, and it is undeniable how healthy a whole foods plant-based diet is for our bodies.

Even though I am only in my early 30's, I have recently been experiencing some very concerning heart issues that I would like to reverse/heal immediately. I have been overweight/obese my entire life, so it's definitely something that has been building for a long time. Both of my parents passed away before the age of 60 because of poor health and I don't want that to be me.

Even though I very much want to be vegan for ethical and environmental reasons, I must admit the final push for me to fully commit now is because of my concerning health issues.

Anyway, I hope to find community, support, and friends in this group. Please feel free to add me as a friend, as I would love for us to support each other on this journey! <3

Replies

• 30laurenaugust
    30laurenaugust Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Erika! I'm Jessie- I'm a 34 year old vegan in TN and I'd love to be your friend! I've been vegan for a year and 1/2, but I've been a junk food vegan and now I'd like to eat more healthfully as I've been obese for around 4 or 5 years now and I'm ready to live a more active lifestyle. I'll add you!
  • ThisSheIs
    ThisSheIs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello Erika, I am also trying to eat a healthy, vegan diet for many of the same reasons. I've been vegetarian on and off for twenty years myself (I'm 32), but struggled with disabilities which cause housing and food insecurities which I'm working on getting improved. One of my goals is to eat a vegan diet, get in shape (I don't so much need to lose weight as simply get healthy), and find like minded people. I have the misfortune of living in a small town in northern Minnesota, so like minded people won't be local.
  • PryorInc
    PryorInc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Educate yourself and research as much as possible.
    Find recipes you like and can prepare.
    Always read labels.
    Be consistent, not perfect.
    The more you do anything the better you get at it.
  • gininthegym
    gininthegym Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi - Vegan here and attempting to lose body fat. Most days my plan is on course - but at the weekends I tend to stray.... ;)