Eye openers

Options
llfretwell
llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
I thought it would be cool to hear which main food(s) that you were previously eating, that you realized were so full of carbs/sugar after beginning the paleo/primal diet. I think this diet has really made me realize how full of CRAP so many foods are! My main foods that I was consuming way more than I should have before I started this are cereals, pasta, bread and bananas. I know bananas aren't necessarily BAD for you, but I was so ignorant of how many carbs I was taking in before starting this, and bananas have A LOT! I was eating AT LEAST 1 banana a day! WOW!!!!

Replies

• jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I thought it would be cool to hear which main food(s) that you were previously eating, that you realized were so full of carbs/sugar after beginning the paleo/primal diet. I think this diet has really made me realize how full of CRAP so many foods are! My main foods that I was consuming way more than I should have before I started this are cereals, pasta, bread and bananas. I know bananas aren't necessarily BAD for you, but I was so ignorant of how many carbs I was taking in before starting this, and bananas have A LOT! I was eating AT LEAST 1 banana a day! WOW!!!!

Eating a banana or 2 a day isn't bad at all. Your body can process it properly. You need to have carbs, they just need to be the right kind of carbs.
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    bread for me was just this empty tasteless thing that you use to put stuff on and accompany things . i would have SO much in a day thinking it was air or something . how wrong i was!!! ended up that bread was 50% + of my daily intakes in calories ... and yea no wonder i gained so much at the time XD now bread to me is as appealing as a rock
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Tortillas ... for being such small, light things they are way full of carbs and calories. I grew up in California and LOVE Mexican food ... I could easily eat Chile Verde or Chile Colorado (both good, primal foods by themselves) with 5 or 6 tortillas ... and blow right through my carb count for a whole day in one meal. I still eat some Mexican foods, but without any tortillas :-/
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Tortillas ~ for sure! I still love Mexican, no beans, rice or tortillas anymore though =(
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, tortillas was one, and bananas. I was also surprised at how many carbs milk has. And the protein powders and bars that I liked.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Mine was the Skinny Vanilla latte at Starbucks (carbs and AF sweetners.....bleh) and corn.

After reading about gmo franken foods, which scared the crap out of me, I really haven't touched it since going Primal.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Soy milk =/ I loved soy chai lattes. I'd have them at least 4-5 times a week
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Nutritional content was all a mystery before I started paleo and in that way it was all a surprise... which itself made none of it a surprise really. I guess I was a little taken aback by how sugary milk was but then I thought about it for a second and was like, "Ah! LactOSE... Like sucrOSE, fructOSE, and glucOSE. I get it now!" Haha
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Beans. I used to love those little fiber-filled pods. Oh well.
  • llfretwell
    llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Beans. I used to love those little fiber-filled pods. Oh well.

I miss them too!!!!!
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I occasionally (like once every 3 months) make a lentil salad that my fam loves ... that and green beans. Other than that, no beans here either :-(
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Eating a banana or 2 a day isn't bad at all. Your body can process it properly. You need to have carbs, they just need to be the right kind of carbs.

It depends on the person. I cannot even have half of a banana per day. For me it's the combination of high sugar and starch. Metabolic disorders are best resolved by keeping carbs, especially sugar, low for an extended length of time. It's not because they are "bad" it's because our metabolism and hormones are "disordered".
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I ate everything already mentioned, and more, by the bucket load. I could never feel full or satisfied and I lived for the evenings and weekends when I could eat non stop. I would eat until i hurt and was sick and kept on eating. It's a miracle that I never got over 300 pounds-only because I maintained some activity. Always high carb and always processed. Wheat, canola and soy in everything (not that I wanted it there-processed foods just always have them). This was called "Binge Eating Disorder" by the "health professionals" but it was really malnutrition. I stopped the nonsense just in time to avoid full blown type 2 diabetes, and who knows what else. Every health problem that I was suffering was resolved just by changing WHAT I eat. (For my health issues I follow a ketogenic version of Paleo.)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I never was really big on bread and pasta. they were just thing that carry my meat ;) Oatmeal was a big eye opener for me. I live on a cold climate with 8 months long winter and having the warm expanding meal in the morning before going out was really comforting. I have been experimenting with paleo(primal ) lifestyle for a while, but never made it through the winter. Having a fresh cold crunchy salad when you are cold to your bones is just not that appealing. I am already afraid whether I give up again during the winter month. During the coldest months I used to eat oatmeal every mornig and thick soup with noodles and or potato every day ,and often dinner was hot stew with rice.

I just got the paleo slow cooker recipe book, and I hope I find enough hot comforting meals for the winter. If I can make it through the winter, I can do it forever.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I never was really big on bread and pasta. they were just thing that carry my meat ;) Oatmeal was a big eye opener for me. I live on a cold climate with 8 months long winter and having the warm expanding meal in the morning before going out was really comforting. I have been experimenting with paleo(primal ) lifestyle for a while, but never made it through the winter. Having a fresh cold crunchy salad when you are cold to your bones is just not that appealing. I am already afraid whether I give up again during the winter month. During the coldest months I used to eat oatmeal every mornig and thick soup with noodles and or potato every day ,and often dinner was hot stew with rice.

I just got the paleo slow cooker recipe book, and I hope I find enough hot comforting meals for the winter. If I can make it through the winter, I can do it forever.
    Hmmm. How about something like whipped sweet potato or yam? You can cook two or three days' worth ahead of time, mash with coconut oil or ghee, reheat in the morning. Bacon and egg muffins? Crustless quiche? (Use coconut milk if you're not primal) Frittata?
  • carolynrussell20
    Options
    One of my favorite breakfasts is leftover mashed sweet potato mixed with some cooked sausage. I make both ahead of time if needed and just heat them up. It's a little sweet and a little spicy.
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I never used to think that Gatorade was that bad and often consumed in on rally days so I would not get dehydrated in the rally car after driving for so long and sweating through all of my consumed water in my gear, but 1 simple bottle has anywhere between 30 and 40 grams of carbs!!! Never again! When I rally now, water for the majority of my day, and MAYBE 1/4 of a bottle of Gatorade just to help keep me feeling a certain way. And that's only if I don't have a banana to take with me.

I was also unaware of how many carbs fruits and veggies had. This is where I get all of my carbs now, but I just thought "fruit and veggies are good so no big deal, eat as many as you want alongside the pasta, bread and meat". Not the case these days.

I also miss pasta terribly!!!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    tortilla wraps, quinoa, yogurt and cereal
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

I don't think it was the amount of carbs/sugar were in foods (my dad is diabetic and has to count his carbs to dose his insulin, so I can pretty much guess the carb content of anything by looking at it), I think for me it's the affect of how different TYPES of carbs/sugar affect me. For example, I don't really have any issues with carb cravings if I eat a banana, sweet potato, or some rice, I can keep those all in normal serving sizes - but an apple, on the other hand, even if I eat it with a meal - makes me hungry again in an hour.

As much as I thought it would be hard to give up breads and pastas - I don't crave them at all. Except sometimes I miss toast and butter, but really, the toast was just a vessel for the butter. :tongue:
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    As much as I thought it would be hard to give up breads and pastas - I don't crave them at all. Except sometimes I miss toast and butter, but really, the toast was just a vessel for the butter. :tongue:

Same here! Especially with the toast and butter.

For me, it was the protein powder. Checked my Wal-Mart brand of budget-friendly powder and dangit it had 8g of sugar in one scoop... fail! That and bananas too. But I don't mind, I love saving bananas for a treat food.