Shape Shifters Team Chat - JULY 2022

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• Tiguan26
    Tiguan26 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Tiguan 26. Joined the group need to shift this weight forever. I have lost 2 1/2 stones before doing slimming world but started to put it all back on and some during lockdown.

I am quite active but a very terrible snacker and struggle with this alot. So I never seem to lose much weight. I'm here hoping that I can help us all be the biggest Shape Shifers.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,107 Member
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal In response to your post today, what I was reminded of this week was how easy it is to jump back into old (bad) habits and it happens for many different reasons. For me, I'm dealing with several points of stress from different directions...pressures at work, difficult home situation with the remodel and living in just half of my house...having to eat out constantly because access to a kitchen is unavailable. And once you "go there", you can just eat yourself miserable. Then you shake your head and think, where did THAT come from?! What I learned from it, is that it doesn't make you happy, it doesn't remove the points of stress, it doesn't solve any problems and in fact, creates more issues!

So after yesterday's debacle, I determined to do better today. Sometimes, that's all we can do because we can't erase things already done. So instead of beating myself up (too badly), I just determined to make a plan and move on. Today, I had my two meals and finished the day under on calories and not hungry.

Jessica
  • ewilhelm2487
    ewilhelm2487 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Bearchested
    Friday
    PW: 195.6
    CW: 194.4
    LTD: 12.6

We had a terrible week, having to say goodbye to one our dogs, Addy, on Monday. While we've somewhat anticipated losing a pet sometime in the next couple years (both her and our other large dog are 11, and our cat is 16) she wasn't showing any signs of an issue. On Friday she was normal. Saturday night she didn't eat (completely out of character) and seemed like maybe her stomach was bothering her. I thought she perhaps ate something she shouldn't, but we really didn't leave anything out (she's a notorious table surfer). She didn't eat on Sunday, but had only vomited once and wasn't indicating she had any pain that would warrant a trip to the emergency vet. Took her to our vet first thing Monday and found her stomach swelling was all internal bleeding. X-rays confirmed that cancer tumors in her chest had ruptured. The vet said we could maybe keep her alive another month or so by doing surgery and chemo, but thought her condition was grave and recommended humane euthanasia.

I found out about in-home euthanasia a couple months ago, and had been contacting a couple vets who provided that care a couple weeks ago (planning helps me deal with my impeding grief). We were fortunate that one was able to come out Monday afternoon. We took Addy on one more walk, then walked her to one of her favorite spots on one of her favorite blankets. I sat with her and held her, and my wife and kids got to say their goodbyes in between the vet coming in to give a couple doses of sedatives before the final shot. After she passed we said our final goodbye.

Addy was the first pet my wife and I adopted together. We had only been in Houston for maybe a week and went to the local shelter. Addy was 2, had been a stray all her life, and had the saddest picture on her kennel (they took it after they gave her a bath, and she hates water). For 9 years in our family she was the best cuddler, a great guard dog (that would proceed to lick you, try to jump on you, and then roll over and demand belly rubs if the stranger came in the house), and a best friend to everyone in the family.

This week I've gone between having zero appetite to eating my feelings to cope with the pain. We're going to a wedding in Uvalde, TX of all places this weekend. Some of you may recall that Uvalde was the location of one of the more recent school shootings in the U.S. It'll will be awhile before I can move past this sadness.

I've been taking our other dog, Emmy, on her normal walks and meditating (the Headspace app has a great pack on grief). I'll journal about this eventually.

I'm so sorry for your loss
    When I lost our family dog I was distraught for months. I didn't even want to spend time with our other dogs because of how much I missed my baby.
    I am sending healing and positive thoughts to you and your family.
  • Walela617
    Walela617 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your Addy, but I believe that your decision regarding the end of her days was the best way you could say "Goodbye". My former cat was 18 when she was euthanized in our home (The vet gave her a sedative first as well). She had kidney failure and I knew she wouldn't last long. I didn't want her last experience to be at the vet, which was a very traumatizing experience for her whenever we had to go there. My current cat turned 17 years old this past June. She seems fine, but you never know. I will probably go the same route with her, when her time comes. I'm so glad that you have your wife with whom you can share the heaviness of your grief and the progress of your recovery and the comfort of Emmy to help you through this very difficult time. I wish you peace and many blessings of the memories of the best times with Addy. It will get easier but you will always hold her in your heart. You may have seen signs already...She is not really "gone" - just gone from this physical space. I hope you will be reuinited one day in some form where you both recognize each other. I hold tight to this belief. It really helps me during tough times like this. I hope it helps you too. <3
  • Yukie_OP
    Yukie_OP Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Yukie_OP
    Saturday weigh-in
    PW: 137
    CW: 137

Stagnant progress over here so far. This 1st week of Aug might not see much progress either: it'll be the last week of summer vaca + it's my little one's birthday so we're going on a 4 day camping trip before school starts up. @Jessicakrall8 - please put me on pause for next weeks weigh-in please.

I'll need 2 get back on track for week 2.
  • Motiv8tedMom
    Motiv8tedMom Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to pop in and say I'm excited to see people posting steps. I am aiming for 8000 a day so I hope seeing that and checking in will get me moving to hit that goal every day.

Would you like to be added to the August Step challenge, then @Motiv8tedMom ? I just need your first name for the chart, got your daily goal...and I usually ask where's your favorite place to walk?
    Jessica

Yes please! It's Marcella. I like to walk the wooded trails around my town but usually I'm short on time so it's around the block & through neighborhood.
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Last steps of the month. I would like to join the challenge again with 14.000 steps a day. That number seems to work well for now. Thank you!
    July 25: 17.181
    July 26: 14.810
    July 27: 18.057
    July 28: 18.730
    July 29: 15.695
    July 30: 16.727
    I will do my best to post a bit more regularly in the August chat. Going to fix my bedtime starting today. Because I have been so tired I have been napping almost daily, which affects my real sleep. I also really struggle with going to bed when it is still light out, but I know getting at least 8 hours of sleep is really important for me so I am going to try harder. Happy Sunday everyone <3
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,191 Member
    Options
    Daily Step goal: 10,000
    Fri 7/29: 12,439
    Sat 7/30: 13,970
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,043 Member
    Options
This discussion has been closed.