Countdown Activity 3 - Healthy Eating & Nutrition Plan

Options
kaliswalker
kaliswalker Posts: 1,311 Member
5% Challenge date Saturday July 9th

It’s time to decide what diet you can follow for 8 weeks. Your diet will determine what you eat, how often, how much and calories. There are many to choose from - Flexitarian, South Beach, Weight Watchers, American Heart Association, DASH, Diabetes Diet, Volumetrics, Mayo Clinic, Mediterranean Diet, MIND, USDA Diet, Canada Food Guide, Dukan, Paleo, The Full Plate Diet, or whatever else you choose. You need a plan that works for you, with food that you like. Browse online for new recipes and have them ready. Regardless of the plan you choose, follow the set of standard guidelines recommended by the plan. But all weight loss diets come down to the same thing a calorie deficit. That's the magic!

New - 12 DIY Kitchen Projects to Clean Up Your Eating Habits (right click to open new tab) https://bit.ly/30CUdWS

Set yourself up for success with a weekly menu plan complete with recipes attached, then it will be easier to make the shopping list to include the foods you need for those meals. It helps when you are shopping for specific things and it improves impulse control in the food store (keeps the junk food out).

Following a weekly menu, the plan gives you control over your eating and calories. You empower yourself to make better choices and have better impulse control. Enjoy the foods you eat, as they are making you healthier and helping you attain your goals. Be ready to try new foods or new ways to prepare food.

Now is the time to make friends with MFP tracker. https://bit.ly/3yjI0YF

84 Quick & Healthy Meals in Minutes! https://bit.ly/378gQoK

Check list

Do you know what diet you will follow?
Have you followed this diet before?
Found some recipes?
Grocery list?
Do you have the food on hand to get started?
Shop?
Did you clean up your kitchen?
Did you post your 5% Challenge Diet Commitment on your blog or here?

Replies

• Lessennan
    Lessennan Posts: 2,961 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    My eating plan is simple.
    Unless I m eating out or away from home
    Breakfast
    Cereal, toast and tea
    Morning cuppa (coffee, a seat and I’m trying no eats)
    Lunch (soup, sandwich or baked tattie)
    Afternoon cuppa (as morning)
    Dinner (meat, chicken or fish with accompaniments), dessert
    Bedtime cuppa

As we’re having lots of hospital appointments which need eats away from home I’m working on a plan to have stuff I can take with me.

Since I have a stress eating sweet tooth I also trying to work on alternative stress busters

Main thing about most meals is that they’re measured, meet nutrition requirements, suit everyone and will be sustainable long term
  • lavalily
    lavalily Posts: 2,158 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Do you know what diet you will follow? I do best on Low Carb/High Fat
    Have you followed this diet before? Yes, regularly
    Found some recipes? I don't cook but I'm able to assemble what I need
    Grocery list? Yes, always! Don't leave home without it.
    Do you have the food on hand to get started? Yes and I keep something on hand at all times
    Did you post your 5% Challenge Diet Commitment on your blog or here? I'm doing that now.
  • MCTortoise
    MCTortoise Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    I’ve been following the Mediterranean food plan for several years, greatly reduced my consumption of red meat and increased meals centered on vegetarian, fish or chicken dishes. We also belong to an organic freggie delivery service, fresh produce delivered every two weeks. I plan menus around what’s in the box. This last week we received avocados, apricots, romaine, onions, carrots, snow peas, fingerling potatoes, and strawberries, for example.
  • withhishelp152
    withhishelp152 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Do you know what diet you will follow? Yes, the 1960s Weight Watcher exchange plan
    Have you followed this diet before? Yes, long ago.
    Found some recipes? Yes, thank you for the links.
    Grocery list? Ongoing
    Do you have the food on hand to get started? Not yet for all the new recipes.
    Shop? Weekly
    Did you clean up your kitchen? Not yet.
    Did you post your 5% Challenge Diet Commitment on your blog or here? here.
  • cormierannie
    cormierannie Posts: 4,737 Member
    Options
    Do you know what diet you will follow? Yes, the Mediterranean Diet.
    Have you followed this diet before? Yes, long ago.
    Found some recipes? Yes, thank you for the links.
    Grocery list? Ongoing
    Do you have the food on hand to get started? Not yet for all the new recipes.
    Shop? Weekly
    Did you clean up your kitchen? i did clean up my kitchen.
  • Poppy_Merwanjee_Framjee
    Options
    1.) Do you know what diet you will follow? I'm still pondering it, but it has to be generally low-fat, I have a bad gallbladder. I enjoy cooking so I thought I would try to make sure real food, low-ish sugar , honestly it's mostly just tracking calories.

2.) Have you followed this diet before? Kinda. I tend to drop a lot of weight when I avoid sugar + processed foods, but I find it difficult to stick with it. I can be too strict like no vinegar because it contains a little sugar etc. My most successful weight loss was watching calories / no sugar.

3.) Found some recipes? I have a large repertoire of items I can cook, but sometimes I'm a bit lazy about things. I'm Southern and like to cook foods I grew up with and they tend to be calorie heavy. I'll have to be really mindful about things

4.) Grocery list? I've hoarded food like #1 coastal prepper. I usually use a list, but only for produce and a few little things. After going hungry on quite a few occasions as a young person, sometimes having to starve for months at a go due to food insecurity, I tend to stock food like a crazy person, particularly since I stock a lot of foods I don't actually eat. :# We had bare shelves in the local markets a lot of times over the last two years where I live and I think it popped my psychology into hoarding mode. I hope to use it up eventually.

5.) Do you have the food on hand to get started? Yes

6.) Shop? I think I have what I need.

7.) Did you clean up your kitchen? No, I actually need to do a deep clean on the floor and cabinet fronts. I did pull out and re-organize and clean out half the cabinets a few weeks ago. I had Covid this month, and things kinda slid. There will probably be snacks in the kitchen, I try to just keep stuff like that stocked that I don't like to eat. My husband turns into a Grizzly bear whenever he approaches anything akin to a diet.

8.) Did you post your 5% Challenge Diet Commitment on your blog or here? Nobody reads my blog so I posted here.

Cheers!
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Diet: Healthy eating: 5 servings fruits/vegetables daily; for meat mainly fish/chicken, keeping red meat at a minimum; lots of water; logging in MFP daily; cutting back on the weekend high calorie craft beers (strategy: drink a bottle of water after drinking one of those)
    Followed before? Yes
    Recipes? Yes. Also use Blue Apron for two meals weekly and love them. I find meals that are are around 500 - 600 calories. A lot of times those meals show up in the MFP search; otherwise, MFP has tools that will easily calculate calories for recipes and import them as well.
    Grocery list? Yes
    Food on hand? Yes, but the tips posted here are very helpful.
    Shop? Yes (love grocery delivery)
    Clean kitchen? Yes
    5% Challenge Diet Commitment: Participate and report progress; exercise daily (minimum 20 minutes of yoga); log food daily in MFP; stay within daily calorie goal (or close to it); don't mess up over the weekends; lose 5% in 9 weeks and keep it off!
  • pitrpatr21
    pitrpatr21 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Diet: Healthy eating: 5 servings fruits/vegetables daily; plenty of protein; lots of water; logging in MFP daily; watch macros
    Followed before? Yes
    Recipes? Yes
    Grocery list? Yes
    Food on hand? Yes
    Shop? Yes
    Clean kitchen? Yes
    5% Challenge Diet Commitment: Participate and report progress; exercise daily (minimum 20 minutes); log food daily in MFP; stay within daily calorie goal (and macros); lose 5%
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 871 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Check list
    Do you know what diet you will follow? Vegan (about 90%, when eating away from home I'm vegetarian)
    Have you followed this diet before? Yes
    Found some recipes? Oh yes, tons: I have two binders of recipes I've found online (one of things I like and one of things I haven't yet tried), and a few cookbooks.
    Grocery list? This is key for me. If I make food ahead of time, and plan my days' menus ahead of time, I'm much more successful than if I just log calories as I go along.
    Do you have the food on hand to get started? All except the fresh veggies and fruit, they'll be purchased as I need them.
    Shop? The week before the challenge starts I'll shop and do some cooking.
    Did you clean up your kitchen? I share my kitchen with my chips-and-bread-eating DH so I can only "clean" so much. But if he starts to bring in stuff that I think is going to tempt me, I ask him to hide it somewhere outside of the kitchen.
    Did you post your 5% Challenge Diet Commitment on your blog or here? I don't blog so I'm posting it here: My diet commitment is that I will prepare food ahead of time. I'll plan and log my daily menus at least two days ahead which will keep my from making last minute bad decisions about what to eat. And, most important, I'll lay off the alcohol to make sure my calories don't go above my range (she says as she's sipping a glass of white wine :blush:) .
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,573 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Check list

Do you know what diet you will follow? Eating smaller meals, hitting the same calories. It works for me.
    Have you followed this diet before? Yes, with success.
    Found some recipes? OH yes!!! MANY LOL MANY!!
    Grocery list? Yes, always ,,, I am very good about staying with on my list.
    Do you have the food on hand to get started? Sure do.
    Shop? I normally I go every few days
    Did you clean up your kitchen? Will do the fridge later tonightDONE! WOOHOO!
    Did you post your 5% Challenge Diet Commitment on your blog or here? Here WOOHOO!!!!
  • Grannysue91
    Grannysue91 Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Do you know what diet you will follow? I am doing a pre-diabetic diet
    Have you followed this diet before? Yes I have.
    Found some recipes? Yes
    Grocery list? Almost completed
    Do you have the food on hand to get started? Yes
    Shop? I will shop again closer to the 9th.
    Did you clean up your kitchen? Yes.
    Did you post your 5% Challenge Diet Commitment on your blog or here? I will do my best to complete everything I need to do and participate in. I will post my exercise, track my food and water and all other things need.
  • cosmiccurves
    cosmiccurves Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Do you know what diet you will follow? Yes! CICO and focusing on more whole foods.
    Have you followed this diet before? Yes, with excellent success before my pregnancy, and lost a TON of weight.
    Found some recipes? I have a whole Pinterest board of them!
    Grocery list? Yes, and I am still adding to it.
    Do you have the food on hand to get started? I do for the first few days, but will need to get to the grocery store this week!
    Shop? Yes, shopping this week!
    Did you clean up your kitchen? Kitchen is clean, need to finish unpacking our kitchen items today.
    Did you post your 5% Challenge Diet Commitment on your blog or here? Here, but I will be sure to post these on my blog since I just started my blog and post in the blog discussion once it's up!

YRpPbcw.png
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Check list
    Grocery list? This is key for me. If I make food ahead of time, and plan my days' menus ahead of time, I'm much more successful than if I just log calories as I go along.

@SparkSpringtime69 Planning my days really works for me. It's the weekends where I mess up; when I stop logging because we're out doing fun things. It's easy to lose my resolve. This group has inspired me to track food even on the weekends, and plan what I'm eating ahead, as much as possible.

• Patti241
    Patti241 Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    My eating plan

No sodas

Breakfast: Toast, cereal
    Lunch: Sandwich
    Dinner: Chicken, pot roast

• visual_echo
    visual_echo Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Check list

Do you know what diet you will follow? Yes - Just picking lean recipes with a good variety of veggies & fruit, keeping to whole grains and having treats on occasion. Most of my cooking is from scratch, partly due to one of my kids having severe food allergies. (No peanuts/nuts in our home at all)
    Have you followed this diet before? Yes, it works for me when I stick to it. :)
    Found some recipes? Yes, but always looking for more variety.
    Grocery list? Yes! I plan the menu for the week and then write out my list accordingly. This works very well for us.
    Do you have the food on hand to get started? Yep, I planned this week's menu yesterday and hubby picked up the groceries. Good to go!
    Shop? Done!
    Did you clean up your kitchen? Hubby did, but yes. ;)
    Did you post your 5% Challenge Diet Commitment on your blog or here? Just here, so far.
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 4,363 Member
    Options
    Do you know what diet you will follow?
    I will continue my modified version of Food Fuels.
    I may mix it up a bit for variety but staying within my calorie range is key.

Have you followed this diet before?
    Yes, lost 18 pounds since March with this plan. Not always perfect.

Found some recipes?
    Yes, but will look for more.

Grocery list?
    I try to plan my meals on the weekend and then shop once on the weekends for most and then restock perishables midweek.

Do you have the food on hand to get started?
    I will - it's continuous!

Shop?
    On schedule.

Did you clean up your kitchen?
    With the exception of wine, my kitchen is in good shape!

5% Challenge Diet Commitment - I will not give up. I will not beat myself up. If I have a slip or gain a pound, it's ok, as long as the overall trend in down. I've already accepted loss to be a slow process and I'm ok with that.

Yep!!
  • CSEGUIN2
    CSEGUIN2 Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Check list

Do you know what diet you will follow? Yes my main goal is to stay in the range of 1480 and 1700 calories and make the best choices I can without limiting myself from thing I love.
    Have you followed this diet before?yes many times
    Found some recipes? Will look for more but have some
    Grocery list? I try to only buy what I need when needed.
    Do you have the food on hand to get started? I will
    Shop? I will
    Did you clean up your kitchen? On the to do list again. It seems never ending.
    Did you post your 5% Challenge Diet Commitment on your blog or here? Here.
  • sunrisedancer1
    sunrisedancer1 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options

Do you know what diet you will follow? Yes, calorie-based. Lots of veggies. Using as much as possible from garden. Aiming for more protein. Grilled meat, grilled veggies, and salad for most dinners (gotta enjoy that in summer).
    Have you followed this diet before? Yes.
    Found some recipes? I have many saved on "PlantoEat".
    Grocery list? Always
    Do you have the food on hand to get started? Yes
    Shop? I alternate stores and have a list for each.
    Did you clean up your kitchen? Yes.
    Did you post your 5% Challenge Diet Commitment on your blog or here? Here.
  • bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Do you know what diet you will follow?dash diet
    Have you followed this diet before? Yes following now-some days better than others
    Found some recipes? Yes
    Grocery list? Yes because currently following it
    Do you have the food on hand to get started? Y
    Shop? Sort of
    Did you clean up your kitchen? Not yet
    Did you post your 5% Challenge Diet Commitment on your blog or here? Not yet
  • bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Commitment - I will not give up. I will not beat myself up. If I have a slip or gain a pound, it's ok, as long as the overall trend in down. I've already accepted loss to be a slow process and I'm ok with that.