Why does reading and drinking tea seem to go together naturally?

Options
Catfish_Fan
Catfish_Fan Posts: 383 Member
I'm not sure if it is the focusing effect of caffeine, so I can get more enjoyment out of a book, but to me tea drinking and reading go hand in hand. I drink coffee in the morning to wake up quickly, but in the evening a cup of mild or non-caffeinated herbal tea with my book goes a long way too. In the afternoons I like English Breakfast or on a hot day iced Earl Grey. Some days I go with a green variety at almost any time of day.

I made sure to utilize the sale at Tiesta Teas for Prime Day and bought some Matcha (fine Japanese powdered green tea leaves) and some more Earl Grey, plus a "flight" of tea samplers (20 different types in pouches that make 6-10 cups each, depending on the strength they are brewed). Loose leaf is the way to go. I make my own bags if I am making one cup for myself, or use a French Press for coffee if I am making a larger batch (dedicated for black teas only, of course). I prefer my tea to be strong--according to a tea book I read 2 Tsp. per cup for loose leaf is recommended (not 1 Tsp that often is called for on the package). Some teas lend themselves to a splash of non-dairy creamer, and others I drink plain (never with sweeteners). In the South someone may be accustomed to sweetened tea.

You can save a bundle by buying in bulk, 16 oz packages, once you figure out which varieties are your favorites. I have a cupboard full of sealed glass jars filled with my favorites, but most often go to the English Breakfast, Earl Grey, and Gunpowder Green.

Do you like tea with your reading, and if so what types (and brands) do you like? I really think teas haven't caught on in America well as a favorite drink because of cheap Lipton Orange Pekoe tea bags, which are filled with floor sweepings. I never liked tea until I discovered the joys of loose leaf and the hundreds of varieties that are available at finer tea outlets.

"Tea, Earl Grey, hot" -- Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation

Replies

• Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,350 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Give me a rainy day, a book and a cup of tea. Nothing better! I love Earl Grey as well. I have a half a shelf in one cabinet dedicated to my various teas. Evenings reading with a cup of Chamomile tea help me unwind and drift off to sleep. I use a variety of bags, loose leaf, and I even got a tea pot with little flowering teas one Christmas. You get little pods that bloom in the pot. You can get a couple pots out of these flowering teas. I like the green ones the best. I am always on the lookout for great loose leaf teas when we go traveling or to farmers markets.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I'm enjoying my book with a cup of Fruity Paradise by Tiesta Teas. It's a green variety, they used to call it Fruity Pebbles but I guess the cereal company didn't like the name infringement?
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    London Fog Latte

1 cup Aged Earl Grey brewed double strength
    1 tsp. honey
    1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk

Steep tea as normal, add honey. Heat Almond Milk in microwave, then froth with an electric Matcha or milk whisk. Pour Almond Milk into tea mixture.

Wow! Cuts the "fog".
  • CrankyOldGoat
    CrankyOldGoat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    London Fog and a good book 👍🏽 I love the Mighty Leaf brand and they have a fantastic organic Earl Grey. They also have a Black Vanilla Bean tea that’s a great alternative to Earl Grey when making a lightly milky tea.

Sometimes I simply enjoy an Organic Peppermint Tea and enhance it with a couple Altoid mints (they dissolve very well).
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    If and when I go to Starbucks - a London fog is what I'll get - I'll have to try your recipe @Catfish_Fan - sounds awesome.

Mighty Leaf had a great Chamomile tea I just loved. Haven't seen it around lately. Will have to try and find it online.
  • Catfish_Fan
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I found Blackberry Bellini and Pineapple Blues (green teas) in my sampler flight (20 different sample packets) from Tiesta. I had to order a pound of each! It is wonderful and withstands a second steeping (non-caffeinated but still flavorful the second time).
  • beccaboo1276414
    beccaboo1276414 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I like Aldi's brand teas, especially the peppermint. It's very refreshing.