July 27 - Aug 2

Options
Lastchancelj
Lastchancelj Posts: 1,312 Member
Ok....So you know when you think it's going to be bad...well, I'm back at 230.2....that's my pre vacation weight. So, while it's still too heavy, it is LOWER than last week. Silver lining.
Anyhow, may be going to Red Lobster for my crab legs tonight...depends on the weather really. We're currently 98f with 53% humidity. Dark ominous looking clouds. My house feels muggy and musty...the thermometer thingies I have say the house is at 48-51% humidity. UGH. I am not dealing with this humidity very well....at all. I ordered a portable AC unit as our upstairs unit just doesn't seem to cool our room off very well. The big unit seems to run continuously and I often have to shut it down since it goes too hard and then freezes and doesn't emit cool air. And this type of unit has been on my list every year, but never pulled the trigger as we only really need it a couple of weeks in the summer. It arrived today and we just got it up and running. Hopefully it will make a difference. We're attempting the "super cool" method of really cooling the house down in the morning/early afternoon and then shut off the systems until off peak time is over at 7pm...digitally programmed to go as high as 83 upstairs and 80 downstairs. They haven't been going on during the peak time (literally 3x the $$ per kw during these 3 hours). Hopefully we can lower our bill. We're just getting the hang of it, but hoping we can make it work.

Kelly, I'm glad you were able to pick up a back up. Whirlpool is a good brand. I have LG washer/dryer, but I've been told to stay away from their refrigerators.

Sarah and Cynthia - looking forward to your updates.

The rest of us are going by our true names, I just realized, we don't ever call you Cynthia.
I'm changing that today. :smiley:

Replies

• SarahMaxx
    SarahMaxx Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    LW: 132.0
    TW: 131.2

Thankfully, the scale has moved a little, although I'm still a pound and half above my pre-NC weight.

I checked in last night and read the two most recent posts, but did not have time to post myself. I think it was about midnight again. Lois, I was happy to hear that your lower back pain improved. And Kelly, it's nice that you have a workable way to deal with the frig and the time needed for a repair without out-of-pocket costs. Having an extra frig always comes in handy. We have only one frig, but we have a small chest-type freezer in the basement laundry room, and I don't know what I would do without it.

Today, we had an appointment in Chevy Chase which took up almost 4 hours with travel to and from and that kept me from walking at my usual time. And yesterday we got a bit of a break from the heat and humidity, but it's in the high 90's here again today and our humidity is almost 70%! DC is a swamp in the summer! So I don't think I can walk outside, even after sundown, and I guess it will be a dreadmill day for me.

Well hubby is yelling for me to check something downstairs, so I will log off now and come back later to give my stats and goals. Hope everyone is having a good day.
  • GaGasheesh
    GaGasheesh Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    LW: 131.6
    TW: 131.6

Well, that's good since I've had another week of summer stuff . . we had our "Pioneer Day" State holiday last week. Since it tends to be very Mormon. . the non-Mormons here call it "Pie-N-Beer Day". Hubby and I opted out of the parade of Mormon ward floats, leaders, and politicians and instead attended a "Women and People of Color" street market of local small businesses. It was great. . we bought things, had South American Food Truck lunch, bought barware, including two copper mugs which we later made our "American Mule" drinks in to toast the holiday. We also went to see the movie "Elvis", which is excellent. Our daughter here was at Bear Lake with her hubby's family, so we grilled at the cabin just the two of us on Sunday. So, I feel lucky to have maintained.

It has been hotter than he** here! 96 F at our house. But, the humidity is low at 14%. But, Lois, our AC seems to be on all day also. I'm scared to see the next electric bill. I'm glad your back is feeling better, and that you had a wonderful time celebrating with Rhea <3 Good job getting back to your pre vacation weight!

Kelly, my Oregon daughter has sworn off LG appliances . . she's had to replace too many. I'm glad you figured it out, and I hope the warranty comes through fairly for you. We have a subzero fridge/freezer that's 16 years old, but we have a small upright freezer downstairs that is at least (I kid you not) 36 years old and is still going strong! It's an old Kenmore, and we've moved it a couple times, and it's still great. Good old Sears. However, our bar fridge downstairs is not keeping things cold anymore. It went into the house under the bar and before the carpeting was installed . . and now we're not sure we can get it out, lol! I pray there's not any ripping out of anything to replace it . . ugh. I don't remember the brand, and it's got a wood cabinet panel on the front of it, so I can't tell.

Sarah, congratulations on your reduction! It's time for me to get back to paying better attention. I have my trainer tomorrow, so I'm going to ask her to kick my butt. :)

• SarahMaxx
    Options
    Well, I did make it back, and it's not quite midnight!

Sheesh, I was thinking about you earlier because my nephew posted photos and a short film of himself having fun out in Park City. Beautiful mountains. Makes our Blue Ridge and the Smokies look like little hills! :D

I also had to chuckle about the old freezer. About 15 years ago, hubby saw a Kenmore chest freezer advertised as "free"--all you had to do was come and get it out of this woman's basement. It was huge and heavy and took several guys to do that. The thing would not make the turn to go down our basement stairs, but even if it would, it was so "kitten" ugly I would not let him keep it. So his buddy said he'd put it in one of the barns on his farm. But out of curiosity, they contacted Sears to try to find out how old it was (you could still read the serial number). Well surprise, surprise when we got a call from Sears' main office and they asked if they could possibly send someone here to take some pictures of it. Apparently, it was the oldest working freezer they knew of and they were going to use it in a presentation. I haven't thought of it in a while, but now that I have, I think I'll have hubby ask his friend if it's still working. (By the way, it was that turquoise color of Julia Child's appliances back in the 50's and it had those thick insulated walls. They sure don't make them like they used to!)

Well, it's inching toward midnight, so here are my stats from last week. They're better, but I need to work on adding some things that may increase my burn. I've been doing arm exercises again the past few days, but the shoulder is crying again!

7-day averages:
    Steps = 12,649
    Kcals burned = 1,759
    Stairs = 13 floors

I'll end by saying that I think the most important thing is just not sticking our heads in the sand. And we three are at least not doing that. :)

• wiredkell
    wiredkell Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Happy Thursday.

I have really not been paying much attention to my working out lately or drinking water, which has left me not feeling so awesome. Time to get back at it. I haven't weighed myself in weeks either... yikes. Shawn and I have been eating relatively good since the cabin though, but mostly focusing on not having as much bread. It has also been REALLY difficult to eat healthy, when we didn't have a fridge. I really was craving salad. We got our Whirlpool basement fridge yesterday morning and it's fully stocked. A salad was the first thing I had lol August 17 is when the LG fridge is supposed to get looked at. Who knows how long it'll actually take for them to fix it. Until then, we had 2 fridges in our kitchen. One broken one and one big ol' white downstairs looking fridge lol It'll do for now.

We have ALL LG appliances. It's what we went with when we built our house. Fridge, stove, dishwasher, washer, dryer and a TV. So far it's only been the fridge that has given us any issues, luckily and hopefully they last a bit longer than the fridge. I have been told that LG shouldn't be in the fridge making industry, lesson learned. We do have an old chest freezer in the basement. Not sure on the brand or how old it is, as Shawn had it when I met him. I'm sure those old appliances don't have the best energy consumption rating, but I'd rather pay the money for the electricity than to have to replace them every 3 years.

The temp has been cooling off here for the past few days and it's been a nice break. It's been ridiculously hot and humid here this summer. 30+ (86F) everyday with very high humidity (70% or higher) as it rains every other day. We've had some pretty wicked storms too. Last night was the first night we were able to sleep with the windows open and it was heaven. Back to hot temps for the weekend though, so the AC will be back on.

Ok.. time to work. I hope all is well with everyone.
  • Lastchancelj
    Options
    Good morning ladies - I just popped on to say we're going to have a high of 93 today with 68% humidity....remember, we're usually 17%!!! Inside the house is reading at 48-49%. The AC units can't keep up with the humidity rise. Oh and we have the portable unit installed in our bedroom to help the upstairs unit. It wasn't too noisy or disrupted my sleep so I like it. It did cool my room a bit more, however, it is soooo sticky! YUCK! And I agreed to meet a co worker for lunch today - so I'm actually wearing a dressy top and capris instead of my tech shirt and shorts! UGH!

Gott run to an appt with hubby. Back later or tomorrow to catch up....
  • wiredkell
    wiredkell Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Maybe a dehumidifier would help? I'm not sure how often it's that muggy in your house or if it's normally dryer there or not. My parents swear by a dehumidifier for their basement. We used to have one, but it was recalled from Costco and when we returned it, we just didn't get another one. Not sure why, but it would definitely help with our 2 story where the basement tends to be freezing but it's warm upstairs.
  • Lastchancelj
    Options
    Kelly - the portable ac that we just received yesterday, does have a de-humidifier and I have that running. Hoping to see the numbers decrease soon. it's the Danby unit (AC - Dehumidifier - fan combo). I checked in with my neighbor and she's having the same challenge with the house feeling muggy as well. She's also looking at de-humidifiers. Kind of like having and AC when you live near the beach...for those few days a year where the temps are not where they should be and you want to be able to live in comfort. haha.

Sarah - Congrats on that reduction!!!! That's awesome for one week's change. Glad you're back home and hoping you don't have to go into the city again anytime soon.

Cynthia - I will take a stay the same week over a gain week any old day! So Congrats to you as well. My brain keeps nudging me to find a trainer....so this afternoon, I'm going to start the process.

And I agree on those old appliances. They might not be energy efficient, but they were reliable.

Had lunch with a co-worker in Scottsdale today. We went to White Chocolate Grill and I had their amazing citrus soy salmon with brussel sprouts and a cucumber something drink. SOOOO tasty (and healthy). Anyhow, while at lunch I was chatting with my friend about obstacle course races and stuff and the Xterra trail runs. She is slim, but not strong (her words). I told her she should look into it with some friends if that interests her, but you do need upper body strength so be sure to find someone that can help with that as well. Also told her I would not be participating. I may go and cheer her on, but I will not be an active participant. Depending on how life goes, we may meet up at the Scottsdale trailheads in the fall to get some trail time. I do miss the trails. I think I'd be ok starting out with her and being slow. If she opts to progress to some trail running races, I may join for that depending on how quickly I find my groove again.

I took the afternoon off as I have some errands and appointments that popped up. Just taking a few moments to say hello and catch up. Gotta run again but I may be back later.
  • Lastchancelj
    Options
    update on the de-humidifier. So the portable AC has been going under the dehumidifier since 8pm last night. I woke up to a completely filled discharge bucket and a cooler room. It seems to be discharging about 30 oz of water every hourish. The room humidity, according to the portable thermostats I have around the house, t are not really lowering. The master lowered 2% but now it's back up another 4% to be at 52%. Outside is 50%. Drizzling off and on today and yesterday.
  • SarahMaxx
    Options
    Lois, I'm glad that your room cooler includes a dehumidifier. We have one and use it in various parts of the house because our humidity levels are ridiculous. Right now, it's in the garage because hubby is refinishing a bench out there and it needs help to dry. We use the water it captures to water outside plants; however, they need no water today because it has been absolutely pouring rain again. Kelly, we are both truly going to mold or mildew or something! LOL

I did not do arm exercises today. I thought I should give my shoulder a day to rest. But I plan to include upper body exercises at least 3 or 4 days this week, and I thought I should put that in as a goal. I am going to check with my PCP at my next appointment to make sure that I am not doing anything harmful to my shoulder. It doesn't hurt except when I move the arm back and up--the kind of movement you'd make if you were trying to unfasten your bra from behind.
  • GaGasheesh
    GaGasheesh Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I hope you're all having a good week so far. I had my trainer yesterday, and I'm feeling it today. It's been so hot here, but today we got some welcomed cooling and clouds, so I will try for an outdoor walk, and get the lactic acid out of the sore muscles.

Lois, the dehumidifier is a great idea, especially in the bedroom for sleeping. Wow . . 30 ounces of water per hour . . that's a lot. I hope it works for you.

Sarah, I get a similar pain in my right shoulder when I stretch it behind like you described. Years ago it was super painful, and I got a cortisone shot into it and had PT. I think the PT helped more than anything. It's just kind of a fact of life for me, and I mostly ignore it. Gently warming it up before stretching or strengthening is important.

Kelly, you know you're a healthy eater when salad is your craving ;) That's great. I always crave potato chips or crunchy cookies. Maybe I can substitute with some crunch in a salad!

We have theater tickets tonight. The show is "Hadestown", which I know nothing about. We almost always enjoy the theater though.

I hope I'll find time to log on tomorrow for weigh in. It's going to be a busy day though with an appointment with an attorney (we'll visit out daughter while there . . it's in the same town 30 minutes from us), a play date and family zoom, but I'll at least be sure to weigh in the am.