Running and breathing

Options
Does anyone have any ideas for breathing during running? I'm on W5D1 and I have found that is where I am still struggling the most. I've tried slowing my speed, and I've repeated W4 so I feel like I need to push myself onto W5, ready or not.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I still struggle with breathing sometimes. Runner's World has a book out about Rhythmic Breathing during running. You basically inhale 3 steps, exhale 2. It is called Running On Air, (I think that is what it is called).

Something that helps me when I notice my breathing starting to lose control, I sigh deeply. It relaxes my diaphram so that I can get back to my controlled breaths. Focusing on breathing is something you will have to continue to watch throughout your running, but eventually your body will do it on its own and you will just have to pull yourself away from the oasis and make sure it is not going crazy.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I don't have any reliable source other than my empirical reserch on myself. I tried different combos, but the 3 steps in, 2 steps out felt like what the body wants. It's diaphragm by the way, diaphragma in Latin.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    slow down some more. If that doesn't work, get checked out for exercise induced asthma.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    slow down some more. If that doesn't work, get checked out for exercise induced asthma.
    Oh, this too. I thought more in terms of in/exhaling and taking steps.
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Slowing down is normally a great idea at this stage. We really want to get faster and increase endurance all at the same time, but I've learned the hard way that I have to focus on one or the other at a time. I've tried the 3in/2 out breathing, and I really struggled with it. Apparently, I'm no good at counting while running. I'm most comfortable doing 2 in/2 out, but I make a point of inhaling deeply into my belly rather than letting myself take shallower, less nourishing breaths.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I started with 2 in / 2 out. Now I do 4 in / 2 out. I didn't know the 3/2 rule at the time - was just doing it as a way to control my breathing. I also take some deliberate, deep breaths during my warm-up walk - figure my lungs need to warm-up too.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I agree slow down. When I feel myself getting too winded I slow down as slow as I can go, almost running in place.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Something that helps me when I notice my breathing starting to lose control, I sigh deeply. It relaxes my diaphram so that I can get back to my controlled breaths. Focusing on breathing is something you will have to continue to watch throughout your running, but eventually your body will do it on its own and you will just have to pull yourself away from the oasis and make sure it is not going crazy.

Interesting! Sometimes, I sigh involuntarily during my runs, and then it does seem everything starts to fall into place. I will try using that consciously next time!
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I love these posts about breathing because that is definitely where I struggled (and still struggle at times) the most. It's been a life-long challenge and always resulted in hyperventilating and needing to stop whatever sport it was for breaks, every time, no matter how good I otherwise was.

My game-changers: the odd/in breathing (Running on Air, though I also didn't know at the time). I mostly use 3/2 but sometimes 4/3. Now it's pretty unconscious, as it's become a habit. It took the first 5-10 minutes of each run to get used to it, and at times I was ready to throw the technique in the toilet because I didn't think it would work and it was HARD, but after a few runs, it came together.

The other, relax and trust that you'll find your breath again (easier said than done, right?). If you don't have medical reasons for it (and I actually do, but nothing big enough to warrant stopping), you will survive it. The panic added to the problem for me, big time. I had to push myself through a couple incredibly painful runs, literally afraid I would pass out with the next step, just to get through to find my breath again. The first time was around the 20 minute run; the second was the first 5k distance. It was HARD, but it changed everything.

Last tid-bit I have... do you breathe through your mouth? I find that's essential. I have no idea how folks can run just in through their nose, but most recommendations are both nose/mouth, and I ditto that bigtime.

Good luck!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The only way I can sort my breathing is by really concentrating on it for the first quarter mile - I ignore pace and posture and purely count my breaths until I get it all chugging along on it's own. It seems that while I'm busy counting steps in and out, (3/2 works best for me) my pace also sub-consciously evens out and by the time I've reached half a mile everything is generally going well. Now and then I'll have to concentrate on it again if it all gets a bit ragged, like after a hill but generally it's ok if I can get it settled right at the start.

As for mouth breathing, if I didn't breathe through my mouth I'd suffocate. My nose seems to be there to either run or hang my glasses on but for breathing it's kind of useless lol
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I breathe through the mouth mainly, always did due to crooked teeth as a kid (had the Freddy Mercury thing, but it was corrected over the course of years; seems a habit still though). And I think I have a narrow nose too, because I feel like I'm suffocating if I have to breathe through it when inhaling during exercise. Might also have some allergies and asthma so will be tested in the autumn.