September challenge

Options
Hi everyone. I have joined a challenge to get 30 minutes of activity for every day in September. It is in support of the Ottawa Heart Institute.
Last year, I had an angioplasty to have two stents in my right coronary artery. Just another joy in my life(lol)
Anyway, I'm hoping it will help with my diabetes as well. I have been pretty active in August, only missing 5 days all month. I walk, I swim and do water aerobics, and bike. I fell off my bike last week, but I'm fine. A bit of road rash.

My next check up is September 6 with my doctor. I fear that my A1C will be higher than last checkup. The day after my checkup, I give myself permission to enjoy some non-diabetic friendly treats. Unfortunately, I have been enjoying them too much the last 3 months. I haven't gained any extra weight, which kinda surprises me, but I have a lot of high readings with the finger pricks.
My grand-daughter has just been diagnosed with Type1 diabetes. There is no diabetes in either family, but her doctor said it could be that she had a virus that attacked her pancreas. Of everyone in her little family, she is the only one who didn't get COVID.
I have diabetes because a surgeon, while extracting a gallstone, damaged my pancreas.

I want to set a good example for my granddaughter, and my daughter.

I can't follow the whole KETO diet because of the pancreas problem, but I have been trying to keep the carbs a little lower than usual.

So, I feel like I am starting over. Other than eliminating junk food, I am open to suggestions and ideas.

Thanks for 'listening'

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Eliminating junk food is always a good plan. The exercise is a good one too.

Sometimes you just have to refocus and get back on program. Keto works for me, but you have other issues. I would try to manage carbs as well as possible.

Hope that road rash is healing up quickly...
  • judyvalentine10
    judyvalentine10 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

Sometimes you just have to refocus and get back on program. Keto works for me, but you have other issues. I would try to manage carbs as well as possible.

Road rash is all gone. I was actually out on my bike again yesterday for 15+K.
    I am eating more veggies than I did before. Instead of chips I have snack size popcorn, or some veggies with hummus. And a piece of fruit.
    I'm back to making my weekly meal plan that really helps with both groceries and impulse eating.

I'm heading out now for Day #8 of the challenge. Going out for a long walk in memory of our Queen Elizabeth who just passed away today.
  • 2t9nty
    Options

Road rash is all gone. I was actually out on my bike again yesterday for 15+K.
    I am eating more veggies than I did before. Instead of chips I have snack size popcorn, or some veggies with hummus. And a piece of fruit.
    I'm back to making my weekly meal plan that really helps with both groceries and impulse eating.

I'm heading out now for Day #8 of the challenge. Going out for a long walk in memory of our Queen Elizabeth who just passed away today.

Great work! Flags are at half staff here in the former colonies...
  • judyvalentine10
    Options
    Well Saturday was day #10 of the September challenge for the Ottawa Heart Intitute. And wouldn't you know it, while on my bike, going downhill, trying to avoid a pedestrian, I fell again. Into a rose bush that only had it's thorns left. The little girl that I tried to avoid came to offer help, and when she really couldn't do much on her own, called to another cyclist and between the two of them, I was back up and on my bike home.
    Maybe my sister is right and it's time to give up the bike. Or, just avoid hills with curves. lol
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Well Saturday was day #10 of the September challenge for the Ottawa Heart Intitute. And wouldn't you know it, while on my bike, going downhill, trying to avoid a pedestrian, I fell again. Into a rose bush that only had it's thorns left. The little girl that I tried to avoid came to offer help, and when she really couldn't do much on her own, called to another cyclist and between the two of them, I was back up and on my bike home.
    Maybe my sister is right and it's time to give up the bike. Or, just avoid hills with curves. lol

Could be your second warning...
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    It has been a week since the last update. How is the challenge going?
  • judyvalentine10
    Options
    It was going great! Then I tested positive for Covid. So, living in an apartment building, I had to isolate for 10 days. Then once that was over, I still had trouble catching my breath.
    But, out of 30 days, I managed 20.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    It was going great! Then I tested positive for Covid. So, living in an apartment building, I had to isolate for 10 days. Then once that was over, I still had trouble catching my breath.

Arrgh - my wife had Covid on a trip to England we made this summer. I am not sure she has completely recovered from lingering "long Covid." Hope you are back to normal...
  • judyvalentine10
    Options

Arrgh - my wife had Covid on a trip to England we made this summer. I am not sure she has completely recovered from lingering "long Covid." Hope you are back to normal...

I'm much better now thanks. I hope your wife is doing well.
  • 2t9nty
    Options

I'm much better now thanks. I hope your wife is doing well.

Yes - much better. The nature of vacations though is that the work just piles up, but she has been digging out - energy maybe a little low.