Fearless October 2022

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
Ahhh...it's that time again. Fall. Temps turns cooler. Leaves change color. At least in the Northern Hemisphere, anyway. But, regardless, all those holiday foods start creeping in on us. Pumpkin this and that. Parades of Halloween candy-crack...And shortly after that Thanksgiving (for some). More and more holiday parties smack us in the face with all those goodies. Before you know it, it's the New Year, and you're wondering "What the heck happened!!!" You're sporting extra weight. You feel guilty and unhealthy. And disappointed in yourself.

And now you're justifiably afraid. You're welcome. :joy:
In honor of this being the scary month, you can tackle fear or a scary pattern that often derails you or inhibits your progress.

It doesn't have to be scary! This month's theme is Fearless October. This will be month 1 of a "prepping for the holidays" basics crash course: This is my 7th holiday season as a low-carber. And I have lost weight during this period in the past. It CAN be done.

The keys to success in this WOE, or any eating plan for that matter, is three-fold:
  • Consistency
  • Persistence
  • Time

Well, isn't that trite and overly simplistic? I'll admit it is simple, but not easy.

Don't freak though. To let those 3 keys work for you, you need to be prepared. PLAN PLAN PLAN. I can't stress this enough. Plan ahead; log ahead. When you have a firm plan and procedure in place, you create good habits. And good habits work for you by keeping up momentum even when things get busy, chaotic, or just plain scary. You've already paved the road for yourself! All you have to do is stay on the smooth way and enjoy the scenery.

So in this challenge, and in the months ahead, we'll be working to set up and reinforce those good habits before you get in the thick of it. We'll be setting up those easy paths and building up that momentum by practicing a habit pattern to predispose us to sail through the holidays. Here will be you can keep track of the goals you reach. We can encourage one another, get advice about any trouble spots, share low-carb-legal recipes of our holiday favorites. Identify scenarios or patterns that absolutely scare you to death, and tackle the hades out of them.

We're going to compete with ourselves. We'll set up good habits in areas like: water, electrolytes, staying under carb goal, logging daily, staying close to cal goal, hitting our exercise goal, and for resisting a temptation or working on our "fear."

You all may want to add a goal like: "Pre-logged Day" or "Planned Ahead" or "Resisted Off-Plan Halloween Treat" or "Packed On-Plan Lunch". I do not recommend nixing the logging calories or carbs; however, if you are one who becomes stressed by calorie counting, that's ok. But I recommend at least keeping track of your daily carb intake. Portion and carb creep are real. And it helps to occasionally reset our ability to "eye" our carb-count. Now would be a good time to recalibrate your carb-sense. I want every single one of you guys to coast through the holidays, enjoying them to the fullest. Preparation and consistency are key.

On the First of the month, or now if you just can't wait, sign in to let us know your personal goals.
We'll accept challengers at any time of the month. Remember, you are competing against yourself, and starting on getting the basics down (or refreshing them like I am), before the hectic holiday season is fully upon us, is our goal.

em7od5ymabaq.pngLet's go get it!em7od5ymabaq.png

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,348 Member
    Options
    My October goals are .....
    *Walk with my daughter and husky 5 days a week
    *Drink 140 ounces of water daily
    *Get back to low carb
    *Meal Prep on Sunday's
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Continuing my goal from Sept with my trainer-
    Strength training x4
    Cardio x2
    Using C25K to get my jog/walk in gear
    Looking at some of my past goals, I would like to add back in a daily plank and walking in the house every hour. Love the timer on my phone for both of these.
    Food has been very good and upping my protein fits in nicely. My only problem food wise has been my hubby eating things I buy specifically for myself. Do I really have to hide food? YES!
  • mypinkbikini
    mypinkbikini Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm here with some health fears and also some "can I actually do this?" fears.

My treatment team advised me to change up my diet and exercise based on surgical reports from a major procedure this summer and analysis of my pre and post op labs.

I have 6-8 weeks until lab redraws to see if I can positively impact my health through diet and exercise before we tweak meds.

For 15 years I have carb restricted for months at a time successfully and easily, but my diet was atkins-driven with lots of meat and dairy, and then I would "eat normally" for months at a time after. My treatment team would like to see me carb restrict with a focus on 100g of dairy-free lean proteins/plant-based proteins this time with plans on creating sustainable life changes to my diet.

I also have exercise orders to walk fast daily (I do about 30 minutes now and plan to up that to an hour consistently this month) and to increase my weight lifting with hand weights from 1 day/wk to 3 days/wk.

This is a whole new low-carb challenge for me!
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Ok I’m ready for October! I’ll be focused on keeping protein high (approximately 110g per day or higher) and carbs in check. I have done better with not snacking in the evenings so now I have to focus on those periods in the afternoon where I get bored. My calorie goal per day is 1500 or lower. Exercise is consistent so no goals there- just focus on what and how much enters the mouth! The weekend was a feeding frenzy of snacks, drinks and football so back to plan Monday. We got this, group!
  • cosmiccurves
    cosmiccurves Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I am super ready for this! I have to keep my butt in gear throughout the holidays as I am actively working on weight loss since my husband and I are wanting to have one more baby, and this year is super crucial for beginning that process!

October Goals
    *walking at least 5 days per week
    *start resistance band workouts at least twice per week
    *stay under 100g carbs per day, 50g is the target
    *plan ahead by prepping snacks such as fat bombs, latte mixes, cheez-its, etc.
    *make sure to always have a low carb friendly lunch ready for work days!
  • baconslave
    edited October 2022
    Options
    ok. So weighing in after an abominable night's sleep...175.6

My goal this month is to keep exercising hard despite the chillness and more dark nature of fall and to whittle off at least 2 pounds. I'll take more if I can get it, but I'm mid-40s now and perimenopausal and my body is 1000% slow or uncooperative sometimes with my efforts. My problem is always ever the weekends and trips, when I am preyed upon intently by Le Grand Saboteur. Thankfully I have only one tricky trip and we may not even have that depending on what the weather trend is mid October.
    So that leaves me navigating His unpredictable calorie and carb bombs on the weekends. He is so hard to plan for. :unamused:

Anyway. Here we go!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Oct Week 1 so far
    SW 170
    CW168.5
    GW 165
    Strength training x4 - 2 done 2 to go
    Cardio x2 - 1 done, 1 to go
    Using C25K to get my jog/walk in gear - started Week 2 day 1 Sunday, felt good and no knee pain
    Daily plank and walking in the house every hour - batting 0 on these so far. My brain isn't quite in the game yet. Setting my phone timer now.

@baconslave I feel ya. At my check up my doc said I had gained 4 lbs. I reminded him I said I was going to enjoy my summer and not worry so much about being 'on plan all the time'. Last camping trip is this weekend but healthy menu planned. My great niece and nephew are joining us so that should keep us moving LOL.
  • cosmiccurves
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Does anyone have any favorite fat bomb recipes they like to make? I'm looking for some yummy inspiration to mix things up for us!
  • taylok23
    Options
    10/3
    I’m still trying to get the leftover yummies out of the house from the weekend gathering but I did drop the water weight from the weekend. I’m looking to create a master food plan template to follow loosely by swapping out proteins and veggies based on my mood. That may keep me focused on calories and macro targets more closely than tweaking at each meal.
  • mypinkbikini
    mypinkbikini Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My workouts are going well. I've lifted twice this week and consistently walking > 7k steps a day. But I'm STRUGGLING to pull back on carbs- it's been a few years since I've done strict low carb in winter and I had forgotten how hard it is to clear the system when you're eating junk. Gah, this is hard!
  • taylok23
    Options
    Still hanging in there doing the things. The scale goes up one day and down the next- such is my struggle for consistency. @mypinkbikini, we all feel you. I tell my husband that carbs beget more carbs. It’s hard to get off that train but the group is here to provide support (or even commiserate).
  • baconslave
    Options
    Sorry, y'all. The kids have me scatterbrained as heck. So far thanks to a med I'm taking I've gained 2 lbs this week... -_-'
    I know it's water but BLARGGGGH

anyway, still working out as I should, but I do think next week I'm going to actually have to pay more attention and start logging some stuff. :unamused:
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I’m Michelle in Nor Cal

Excited about October and planning ahead to be in control thru the holidays.

CW - 153
    GW - 146 by 12/31
    Age 62
    Height 5’3”
    Doing macros for the very first time!
    And….logging in advance is a huge win for me as I can plan meals and snacks ahead and make sure I’m accountable with daily goals.

Started HIIT and love it so my goal is 3 x a week.
    I also do fast walking 3 x a week and throw in a yoga and mindful meditations 1-2 x.

• Michieb125
    Options
    Hi @tishsmith101 - I hear you about your doctors comments. Six months ago my doctor wanted me
    To lose some Weight and I let him know it wasn’t my focus rather ‘wellness’ but he ensured me
    I needed to update my goals lol. So I have lab work in 4 weeks and My annual physical and would love show improvements - reason I’m back here! but actually got my mojo back to get healthier. Nothing wrong with that!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Hi Guys... I am out of commission for 4 to 6 months ... I broke my ankle and tore ligaments and tendons last night ...I was throwing a ball for my 2 furbabies and fell in a huge crater hole in my backyard ... I had to call an ambulance to come get me ...they couldn't put a plaster cast on me due to it being very swollen ...I have a lot of padding with lots of ace bandages ... I see my podiatrist on Tuesday ughhhh
  • baconslave
    Options
    Hi Guys... I am out of commission for 4 to 6 months ... I broke my ankle and tore ligaments and tendons last night ...I was throwing a ball for my 2 furbabies and fell in a huge crater hole in my backyard ... I had to call an ambulance to come get me ...they couldn't put a plaster cast on me due to it being very swollen ...I have a lot of padding with lots of ace bandages ... I see my podiatrist on Tuesday ughhhh

oh no! :disappointed: I'm so sorry. Hope the swelling goes down soon and the pain isn't too much. Take care of you the best you can.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

oh no! :disappointed: I'm so sorry. Hope the swelling goes down soon and the pain isn't too much. Take care of you the best you can.

Thank you so much @baconslave :)
  • Michieb125
    Options
    Sorry to hear, that sounds so painful and does stall exercise for awhile. I wish you a full and speedy recovery!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Michieb125 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear, that sounds so painful and does stall exercise for awhile. I wish you a full and speedy recovery!

Thank you very much ... it is very painful .... I will be doing chair exercises with dumbells when I can
  • cosmiccurves
    Options
    So sorry to hear what happened @Megan_smartiepants1970 :heart: I hope your recovery is speedy and smooth!