Looking for a new routine

Options
TygerTwoTails
TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
I have been a bit of a lurker in this group taking in all of the wonderful information that it has to offer. I finally have a question that I feel up to asking, mostly for discussion purposes.

I have been working at losing weight for about 4 years now and I have lost 95lbs so far and I'm looking to lose about another 20 or so. I've done a lot of cardio, including finishing the C25K program and now I just run when I feel like it, I've done the Curves thing and I've also done the machines at the gym. I tried doing the 30 Day Shred, but it was too much for my knees (they started clicking) and so I decided to stop.

Currently my diet isn't really an issue. I've used sites that you have recommended to figure out my TDEE and I'm eating at -20% which puts me at 1700 a day with my macros set at what I have gathered to be a reasonable amount and as long as I stick to that I seem to be losing. I'm also charting my daily weight to see if I am losing at a reasonable pace, which I think at this point would be about 1 lb a week.

Here's where I am now, I started doing the NROLFW program in Feb. of this year and it has got me hooked on lifting weights. I got through the first two stages and then a summer vacation without access to the gym threw me off so I decided to start from stage 1 again. I just finished stage one again today. I am considering going on to stage 2 again, but to be honest, I didn't like it and I kind of like just doing regular deadlifts and squats along with the other exercises that have gone with them in the NROL program, but I figure I should mix it up some and at some point I will probably get bored. Currently I lift 2-3 times a week and follow that with intervals on the elliptical; 3min warm-up, 1 minute at a higher level and 2 minutes on an easier level for 5 total intervals (total of 18 min), upping the intensity each time. Then I try to do cardio (running or elliptical) at least 2 days a week, in between lifting days.

So I am looking for input on what an alternative lifting plan could be. I'm still really new to lifting and don't feel confident in building a routine myself.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I would recommend AllPro or Stronglifts. AllPro can be found here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

A Simple beginner's Routine
    You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I have heard of and looked into stronglifts and, actually my husband is doing that, but I wasn't aware of the all pro workout. It looks good and different, which is appealing to me. Do you have any idea how long it takes to do the workout?

Thanks, by the way, for everything you and SS do with this group, I have learned so much from reading the articles and advice you post. It has changed how I view fitness and weight loss.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I have not done it myself but will ask on my wall as I know a few people on my FL do it.
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Bumping for references
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    And the survey says...about 40 - 45 minutes.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Locking for admin purposes so we can track active threads. Please feel free to PM either myself or SideSteel to unlock if you have further questions, including a link to this thread, and we will unlock so you can pose them.
This discussion has been closed.