Swimming challenge

Fancy setting a goal to swim a certain distance or within a certain speed? What ever your challenge, and however long it takes you to get there, post your daily updates here for some mutual support.

My challenge: 5k
Where abouts in the training schedule: w1,d1
How long till the event: Early march - haven't booked a slot at the pool yet
What's in your training plan for today?: Strength and Core - so did a YouTube HASFit Resistance band work out.
How did it go?: Oooph. Kicked my butt! Used to use that programme during lockdown and don't recall it being quite so tough last time! Think I need to get the yoga mat out tonight just to work out the kinks!

Replies

• Sorry/not sorry that I'm answering my own post.

My challenge: 5k
    Where abouts in the training schedule: w1,d2
    What's in your training plan for today?: 4x5 min easy freestyle
    How did it go?: The swimming was great. Difficult to find what 'easy' looks like for me. I don't recall ever really dialling in an 'easy' swim. I first started trying to swim slower, but that screwed with my breathing, so then just swam mindfully - noticing my body position, how my stroke felt throughout the pull, and noticing my glutes when I remembered to kick from the hips... yeah. About the glutes... and the rest of me. Guys - I can't sit down without help! And when I do, I can't stand up again without staggering round! DOMS on the most ferocious scale. Hopefully it'll ease for tomorrow's session...!
    IN other news, I've bought myself a skipping rope for the 'cross training' session - mostly I'll try to cycle, but when the weather is foul, I plan to skip rope instead.
  • My challenge: 5k
    Where abouts in the training schedule: w1,d7
    What's in your training plan for today?: Missed the last few updates so here's the week in review. I did the two workouts above, then the program called for a yoga session. That was lovely.
    The next was a tempo interval swim, but I was swimming at a new pool, with no lanes and most people more leisure than fitness swimming. So instead I swam around the walkers and did the 'long' easy swim (1k). Yesterday was cross training. I picked up a cheap skipping rope and did that in intervals for 25 minutes. That got my heart rate up at any rate! This afternoon I'm heading to my pool to do the tempo intervals (hopefully. Though it's an 'everybody welcome' session, so may not have options to swim lengths.)
    At this time any pool time is good.
    How did it go?: I guess we'll find out!
  • The skipping rope was good - well, ok once I'd reminded myself how to skip! But I didn't warm up properly and nearly wrecked my left calf muscle. It's hurt to stand up/weight bear for the last week. Once I get moving it eases off so it's not an injury, just proper DOMS. It's eased over the week, and the swimming and yoga have helped rather than hinder the recovery.
    As for the swimming - I've done the Intervals. Interestingly, the 'steady' 100m rate was slower than my 'easy' 100m (5x5 mins) pace the next day. I guess I needed to work on my technique! My 'easy 45min freestyle' today had an average 100m pace of 2.45, which was what my steady pace was, so I guess the short intervals with rest periods were just enough to give me a break (that I didn't think I needed) and those 'steady' tempo swims were actually a mixture of still warming up and poorer technique.
    Tomorrow is another tempo steady swim (10x100 m with 60 sec rests) so we'll find out if I'm right and whether I do improve speed wise.
  • Did it... Well, 800m of it.
    To answer my question, yes. Poor technique and cold muscles. Actively reminding myself to go easy (instead of seeking the unclear 'steady'), meant my breathing eased out, my stroke lengthened, my body naturally rotated more and I was faster without feeling winded. As in, 15sec per 100 faster ... (2.30 ish)
    However, I did then try to get to that 'steady' pace again and actually winded myself so much I was worried I might have a panic attack (not that I've ever had one, but I felt anxious and not wholly in control). So I stopped at 800m instead of the 1000 (I'm not sure the program was expecting me to get to 1550 in the easy freestyle 30min sesh the day before.
    Today is a rest and yoga day, for which I am grateful.
    Tomorrow is cross training, so hopefully (aunty flo permitting - I'm peri, so sometimes I'm better staying home if you know what I mean!) I'll be going scuba diving. Otherwise skipping again, if my calves can take it! They've only just stopped hurting!
  • Didn't Scuba. OH was knackered post working week, so we went for a long walk instead
    Today was a 'long' easy swim. 1.2k. Did it in 34 mins so not bad time wise.
  • 1 mile in 45 mins - consciously 'easy', so really very pleased with that. That 2.5 hours for the distance is looking increasingly like pessimism. I may even - may - achieve 2hrs...
  • Another 45 mins mile, again, easy. Split between FC, BrS and BkS.
    Also did an intervals session this week, with average 100 split of 2:30. Dunno if I can keep that up for 2 hours, but it felt easy enough. Mainly improved in the turns...
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Waiting for my pool to open back up, (major repairs).
    Hope to get back to 1 mile @ 50 minutes.
  • Ooo, hope the pool reopens quickly Bruceapple!
  • I've been out of the pool for about 3 weeks now due to Christmas doos interfering with opening times and then Covid - so really feeling the withdrawal symptoms.
    Got back in today and could only manage 10 minutes - mainly cos the pool was so busy (still school holidays) that I couldn't find a rhythm. My usual front crawl was too fast, my breastroke was slightly too slow - unless I was behind a couple of swimmers when even a slow bs was too fast but they stopped when the whole pack was behind them which meant going hell for leather to create some space before slowing back down again, getting into my stride then hitting the same problems... so as I say. 10 mins was enough.
    I'll go again tomorrow but make it a morning swim to avoid the kids.
  • KacyCarpe
    KacyCarpe Posts: 495 Member
    I am back in the pool after a few weeks away due to illness, scduking, and being away over the holidays. In the fall I worked up from 260m to 750m. I want to work up to 1km. Hoping to also learn and master the flip turn this quarter!
  • Nice one KacyCarpe.
    I've restarted the whole thing today (well, yesterday). Monday and Wednesday is cross training (Kickboxing - just started a class. It's ace!). Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday are my swim days with Tuesday and Thursday being easy swims. Friday intervals and Sunday long. This Sunday will be 1k, so hopefully up to speed before then! Today was 4x5 mins (800m total), so should be ok so long as I don't kill myself at boxing tomorrow!
  • KacyCarpe
    Nice one KacyCarpe.
    I've restarted the whole thing today (well, yesterday). Monday and Wednesday is cross training (Kickboxing - just started a class. It's ace!). Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday are my swim days with Tuesday and Thursday being easy swims. Friday intervals and Sunday long. This Sunday will be 1k, so hopefully up to speed before then! Today was 4x5 mins (800m total), so should be ok so long as I don't kill myself at boxing tomorrow!

Kickboxing is fun! I am hoping to restart karate in Feb (I blew out my knee last year, and it's been a long recovery). My swim buddy and I signed up for a private lesson, and I'll be asking the coach about that flip turn! I am also going to buy myself a (cheapie) anklet as a reward for swimming regularly since September. I am nowhere near your level, doing intervals and whatnot, but I'm inspired to get there! 😃
  • Hey!
    Nah, intervals are for everyone. But not necessary, if you see what I mean? I'm following a race training schedule just so that I progress nice and sustainably, rather than going all out and killing myself. If I can figure out how, I'll post a pick of my schedule so you see what I mean.
    The intervals are about raising your heart rate, and asking it/your muscles to recover quicker, rather than the steady state constant swim. The short swims are about recovery and the long swims are about endurance. But it's a program a beginner can do (maybe not the volume - listen to your body if you DO try it), it's not meant to be elitist.
    Anyways, done week 1 of the program and two KB sessions. My OH is now keen to join so might switch one or both of my classes to one he can go to.
    Not really losing any weight, but trying to remind myself that a) my cycle is adding water weight, b) the increased weight is adding water weight and c) weightless isn't linear!!!
    I feel better for it though, so that's a plus. :-)
  • KacyCarpe
    Hey!
    Nah, intervals are for everyone....
    The intervals are about raising your heart rate, and asking it/your muscles to recover quicker, rather than the steady state constant swim. The short swims are about recovery and the long swims are about endurance. But it's a program a beginner can do (maybe not the volume - listen to your body if you DO try it), it's not meant to be elitist.

Ah, okay, I see. Like trying to push yourself to run one minute in between walking. I usually do my last two lengths as fast as I can, but I will play with how I can up the intensity from time to time. Good tip!
  • Yes! Exactly. Fartleck for the win! So intervals could be something like: 10 mins gentle swim to warm up. Main set of 4 (you choose) x 25,50 or 100 metres at 'steady pace' then warm down. Or the main set at steady pace followed by a timed exercise of 'how far can you go in 5 minutes?' then a 10 min warm down. Just playing basically!
  • KacyCarpe
    Yes! Exactly. Fartleck for the win! So intervals could be something like: 10 mins gentle swim to warm up. Main set of 4 (you choose) x 25,50 or 100 metres at 'steady pace' then warm down. Or the main set at steady pace followed by a timed exercise of 'how far can you go in 5 minutes?' then a 10 min warm down. Just playing basically!

I find this idea of being more playful inspiring. I will often get to kind of a meditative state, just doing the strokes and breathing, and I really like that aspect of swimming. But sometimes getting in those last laps feels .... boring. Changing things up is the obvious solution that I somehow didn't see staring me in the face! Lol
  • I wish I could've gotten in to the meditative state today... twas meant to be 1.2km 'easy' pace... but I just couldn't get into a rythym. I'd jumped into a lane with 3 other swimmers and they were all just slightly faster than me. So I'd let them go, swim a few lengths, realise they're coming up behind me so swim faster to the end to let them go - or wait at the end so that I didn't have to really rush the next length... and so on. It ended up being 30 mins (1.2km) 'steady'. On the plus side, I realised I'd jumped in the fast lane by mistake...! So at least I'd almost held my own.
  • KacyCarpe
    On the plus side, I realised I'd jumped in the fast lane by mistake...! So at least I'd almost held my own.

The fast lane! I love it. The other day I almost moved into the medium lane, as the slow lane was busy, but I chickened out... That will be a NSV when it happens. I hope you celebrate yours!
  • Go for it! Just be mindful of who's where in the lane (my pet peeve - not allowing faster swimmers to go ahead at the end of a length), or, (when there's only one other person,) split the lane, and enjoy!