New to the Group

Options
Hi Everyone,
My name is Melissa. I'm post op 3 weeks of bypass. I can say its been very challenging. I've had quite a few problems since having surgery. Since I couldn't keep anything down I was pushed forward to very soft solids. However I feel full all the time and having issues with getting liquids and food down. Since surgery Ive lost close to 30lbs.

Replies

• HazelGrazie
    HazelGrazie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! It seems like you are going normal after your surgery; weight loss pretty consistent as well.

They don't say the first year is your honeymoon period for no reason. I am almost 3 years post-op and am now finally getting down to the way of eating that I want to balance nutrients but kinda miss the first year of not being able to really handle much of anything.

It seems this group is pretty low in activity. I would be happy to add for friendship and talk to when needed. This is still my favorite way to track but definitely needs tweaking for those of us having had the surgery.
  • anubile1967
    anubile1967 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve done 10/26/15 and due to extreme acid reflux, I had a revision to RNY on 11/5/22. I am on soft foods now and also having a hard time getting my food/water requirements in. I have a timer on my phone that goes off every 15 minutes (and very annoying), but I make sure to take in some water or protein drink. With soft food, I chew very slowly and take about 20 minutes to eat. The only thing I can really keep down is yogurt, egg salad, meat sauce and refried beans. As with my original sleeve, it takes a couple of months to fully heal and start to eat "normal" foods. I track my food/water on here too, but I can never publish because my calories are way below the minimum.
  • BarNGrill5
    BarNGrill5 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hi all. @anubile1967 -- I had the revision for the exact same reason, sever reflux, although I also had regained half my weight so I guess I'll get a double benefit? I was told the sleeve likely caused the reflux issue. Lesson learned. I'm interested in hearing from other folks who had the revision for reflux to see if it worked....may be too soon for you to determine. I'm only one week post op for the revision so I'm still on the protonix.

@dukesduchess350 - not sure if it is because this is my second time around but I'm doing OK keeping the liquids down, including premier protein shakes and bariatricpal soups. I hope it improves for you. I recently rejoined my fitness pal after leaving for the fitbit app. I don't like their meal tracking as much.

I'm in my 50s now, had the first surgery eight years ago. It is super easy to fall off track.

Good luck to all. Please friend me if you want to stay in touch.
  • anubile1967
    anubile1967 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @BarNGrill5 I had minor reflux before the sleeve, mostly due to spicy food. It got worse about 3-4 years post-op. By the time I had the revision, I was in agony most nights. When I saw the revision surgeon, he indicated that 1/5 of his revisions are for reflux and other issues related to the sleeve. I'm a little over 4 months post-op from the revision and feel great! I'm also down another 30 pounds, so that is a plus. My surgeon has me on Protonix for a year, just in case. I was 48 when I had the sleeve (55 now) and I wished that I had the RNY the first go 'round!