3 month checkup results

This dr.'s appointment went well and as I was hoping. According to my doctor's scale, I lost 10 lbs, and 10 cm(4 inches) on my waist. I actually thought my waist had expanded, but turns out, it was bigger last time.
My A1C was within acceptable limits for my limited pancreas. 6.8%. She lowered my insulin ration from 1:15 to 1:20 because I was getting a lot of lows. But, when I was in the office, my blood pressure was up so she gave me 'homework'. In January, I have to record my BP readings for 7 days and fill out the form and give it to her, or send it to her through email.
So, all in all, I was quite pleased.

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Sounds like a great appointment!
  • ser67
    ser67 Posts: 28 Member
    Well done 👏
  • 2t9nty
    I had a blood draw before a diabetes checkup next week. A1C was 6.1
  • 2t9nty
    Doctor's appointment went well. He is happy with the diet. Vitals are all good.
  • JudyValentine3
    JudyValentine3 Posts: 39 Member
    2t9nty wrote: »

That's great! What diet are you following, or are you just eating better? I'm doing my best to stay on target, but somedays are harder than others.
    Keep up the good work.
  • 2t9nty

That's great! What diet are you following, or are you just eating better? I'm doing my best to stay on target, but somedays are harder than others.
    Keep up the good work.

I am keto. I stay under 10 net carbs a day mostly. I have a hard limit of 20. It has worked very well for me and feels like a pretty natural way to eat.
  • JudyValentine3
    JudyValentine3 Posts: 39 Member

I am keto. I stay under 10 net carbs a day mostly. I have a hard limit of 20. It has worked very well for me and feels like a pretty natural way to eat.

For two reasons, I can't follow the keto diet. 1) If I try to eliminate a food group, that's all I crave. I'm doing my best to follow a pancreas friendly diet.
    2) Because of my chronic pancreatitis, I have to limit my fat intake to between 30 and 40 grams of fat a day. More than that, and I am in extreme pain for days.
    So, basically I'm aiming for a well balanced diet with lots of fruit and veggies, not a lot of simple, processed carbs. I eat a lot of fish and chicken with the occasional treat.
  • 2t9nty
    edited February 2023

For two reasons, I can't follow the keto diet. 1) If I try to eliminate a food group, that's all I crave. I'm doing my best to follow a pancreas friendly diet.
    2) Because of my chronic pancreatitis, I have to limit my fat intake to between 30 and 40 grams of fat a day. More than that, and I am in extreme pain for days.
    So, basically I'm aiming for a well balanced diet with lots of fruit and veggies, not a lot of simple, processed carbs. I eat a lot of fish and chicken with the occasional treat.

I totally get that. I have also come to appreciate that NOTHING is a one-size-fits-all despite the medical establishment's wanting to put us in tidy boxes. I claim most people need to figure it out for themselves honestly. One of the reasons I think people are well served by checking BG a lot at first so that they have data to back up decisions.

We have to listen to our bodies too. Pain for days is no good and is a reminder something is not working for you...

Also with the BP at the doctor's office. Mine is either high(ish) or very good. The doctor is a little puzzled by this, and one day I might clue him in. There is a cute Latina nurse who checks vitals sometimes. She is one to stick her boobs in my face as part of the taking BP process. You guessed it - I know the variable.

If the nurse with the body space issues is the one collecting vitals, I am a reliable 120/70.