5:2 and 16:8 Combo?

Options
Hi folks, and Happy Holidays. I am new both to this group and MFP. I am 55 years old and a seafood lover; avid walker (with our dog) and kayaker. I'm a health care professional and consider myself healthy and in reasonably good shape, BUT can lose 50 pounds and be much healthier for it. Trying to adopt a healthier "lifestyle routine" and that in itself can be a real challenge, mainly with breaking old habits after years and years of routine (like eating while watching TV in the evenings).

Intermittent Fasting seems to be both well researched and a great option for lifelong weight maintenance - I like the 5:2 version, but was thinking of a combo - I'd use MFP's new Intermittent Fasting feature and adopt a 16:8 IF habit along with the 5:2! Nutritionally it looks like I can meet all my requirements, plus the 5:2 option allows autophagy to truly kick-in and provide all it's wonderful metabolic cellular benefits.

However, I am curious what you (more experienced fasters) think of that idea!

Although I'm not certain it's appropriate here, and my apologies for that, but I am looking and would appreciate any interested MFP friends and mutual support.

Replies

• KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our group! I applaud you wanting to be healthier! This is a small but supportive group. :)
    On the fasting front I have done both at once. If you are new to fasting, I highly suggest you start slowly. Your body is not used to using fat as fuel and if you jump in both feet first, you will feel gross. Even after years of off and on fasting, I still get the "keto flu" sometimes. If you don't want to use the MFP premium, there are several free fasting trackers out there. I use Zero. It has a premium option, but I find their free features more than enough for me. Feel free to jump into the monthly thread. The end of the year is a bit slow, but after New Year's, it usually picks up.
    Again, welcome to our group!
  • CrankyOldGoat
    CrankyOldGoat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks, appreciate the info - I did look at Zero as well as Fastic; both seem like good apps but I tend to be a bit of a minimalist and the fewer apps I have the better - so I’m trying MFP premium and see how it Intermittent Fasting feature works - as it seems to integrate smoothly with my daily food diary.