Anyone doing IF 20:4?

Options
I started IF again on Nov. 31, 2022. I've lost 17 pounds so far and I'm using the 20:4 protocol. I need to lose 100+ pounds. Mostly I have managed the 20 hour fasts (with a few fails ever now and then). I'm finding I need to feel satisfied after my 4 hour eating window or I might fail and break fast before its over. I do better when I eat higher protein and no sugar at all. I'm using the Simple app to track my fasting hours but its food log is the pits. I have used my fitness pal in the past and really like using it to track my meals.

Answers

• KacyCarpe
    KacyCarpe Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I thought I was doing 16:8, but when I started tracking my fasting time with MFP's new feature I found I was usually much closer to 18:6 (yay!). I have not tried 20:4. Are you finding much better results than a 16:8 or an 18:6?

This week we are doing our first longer fast, 72 hours. Have you ever done one?
  • b4fc7v8ymc
    b4fc7v8ymc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 20:4! it's going well so far- 6 days down. need to buy a scale-- i've also been rly conscious of what i eat to break my fast. there's lots of great videos on that topic on youtube. currently around 220 and goal weight is 165
  • KacyCarpe
    Options
    b4fc7v8ymc wrote: »
    I'm doing 20:4! it's going well so far- 6 days down. need to buy a scale-- i've also been rly conscious of what i eat to break my fast. there's lots of great videos on that topic on youtube. currently around 220 and goal weight is 165

I have watched probably 50 YouTube videos on fasting! Glad to hear you like the 20:4. Today, after 20 hours, I wasn't even that hungry but ate a small dinner because it had been made for me. It's got me wondering if I could handle a protocol of 36-hour fasts three times a week.... I guess there's only one way to find out!
  • jphillips0276
    jphillips0276 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Here are a few things that have helped me. I do OMAD which is basically, 20:4. I stopped logging food and believe it or not, it helped me. I only log food every now and then but am doing it this time around to keep up with my carb intake as I am doing keto. The key for me is....do not bring it in the house. On keto and IF, you can pretty much eat what you want and as much as you want, as long as it's something you 'should' eat. Just don't buy it. Don't bring it in your house. You can't eat it if you don't have it. The thing for me is I like to eat. If I eat a slight meal with just so many calories, I'm going to break fast and go over my calorie intake, so, I had to lose the restrictions. Don't know if this is helpful but it helped me. Hope you have an awesome journey.
  • KacyCarpe
    Options
    @jphillips0276 Thanks for your input. I agree that's it's much easier to stick to the plan if crap stuff never enters the grocery cart! I find now I do a day of 20:4, with only one real meal, followed by a day of 18:6 (or so) with two meals. I'm not really "trying"; its just naturally happening, but the trend is definitely that I go longer without feeling hungry.
  • jphillips0276
    jphillips0276 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That is what I am talking about and its also why IF is the only thing I have been able to stick with long term. It takes those restrikes off. I often have trouble getting enough calories with OMAD, so just what you said works great. :)
  • Itadakimasu7
    Itadakimasu7 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I was doing alternate day fasting for awhile over winter and felt much better, but the holidays came around and I fell off and gained the weight back. I'm trying 20:4 now, and really not so bad, I do have some salty broth about midday when hunger creeps in, but I developed a 48hr migraine. I'm not sure if it was related, but will try again tomorrow. :)
  • KacyCarpe
    Options
    @Itadakimasu7 I will often use a cup of broth to tide me over. I hope the migraine has resolved itself!