Why do people hate keto when it works so well?

Options

Replies

• Half_Bruin
    Half_Bruin Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    @chinatowninchina haha well played. Keto is treating me well! I feel great and am down about 12-13 lbs
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    @Half_Bruin excellent work!
  • ClayBengal
    ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It’s the only diet I’ve been able to do where I don’t snap from calorie deficits and I’ve been able to keep going with minimal plateaus. I’m down 20 lbs and want to lose another 20 so let the haters hate.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    I just tell people I am watching carbs and counting calories out in the community if people ask. They will want to know if I am doing Atkins, and I tell them "no."

I had someone at the book group at church say she heard I was on a diet and asked what I was doing. I explained about the carbs and calories. She said, "It will never work." I told her it had been working pretty well so far. I was losing (at that point) about a pound a week. She replied, "It will never stay off." She had a personal trainer you see, and bla, bla, bla. She had gained weight since starting with the professional. I nodded and smiled. You have to stay pleasant in my line of work.

I made the mistake of mentioning on the main MFP boards that I was doing keto and got some pretty negative responses and a "woo." I just said it was working for me with the weight loss and I was happy with what I was eating. Glucose levels were being managed well.

I realize it is not for everyone. It is working for me.

I work on the premise that some of the haters want to have their own choices validated.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think some of the problem is tha keto'ers do sometimes get their facts wrong, or just our grammar and wording less than exact, and because we have found something that works so well for us, we sing it to the rooftops.... But we're singing something that is not completely right. For some reason, there are a few members who feel the need to mock the post or poster rather than politely correct them. And then they assume that everyone doing the diet believes the wrong thing... And then there is more impolite responses.:(

Plus I do think that some see it as an attack in their choice of diet. If keto is the greatest then their diet is not tops. ;) I think the majority of keto'ers know that ketosis may not be best suited to everyone. I think most diet moderators realize that moderation is not best for everyone too, there are just loud posters who forget.

I'm pretty sure I've been woo'd more than liked on the main boards. Lol ;)
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    heck it's bad enough with some of my family and friends without looking for trouble with total strangers! :D
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    And I thought woo wss a good thing... ;)
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    And I thought woo wss a good thing... ;)

From UrbanDictionary

"n.(or adj), the way a person is when they uncritically believe unsubstantiated or unfounded ideas."
  • xhunter561
    xhunter561 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i would mainly guess the media and a number of other things play into people targeting people over diet, people can be very flock bound. most the people now days grew up having it drilled in their heads that the food chart and all was basically the only way to be healthy. people are told its normal to feel hunger, get gassy, have pains, ect. people just have to unlearn things they get from the 'general' medical information out there and start talking to other people and connecting with people getting improvements to get a little insight. I personally love ketosis given its rather flexible and even with a flexible diet i still can have the health benefits of using ketones over glucose. But most people are just closed minded or think they have the full piece to the health puzzle by demonizing foods. A simple fact is different people work best on different diet patterns, they have different food reactions, different tastes, different levels of needs when it comes to fats, proteins, carbs. they just got to work on that insecurity to accept that maybe they only got part of the equation and not the full thing. for me i know carbs aren't evil but they have their place, weight gain and spiking insulin with the cost of a bad migraine but a easy way to put on fat needed for a fast.

give it time though, they will start piecing things together if they branch out. But food is not the only thing that helps with health its also working out, eating times, ect. So much stuff when you think about it but that is what makes it interesting. main diets like keto, vegetarian, primal, all fruit, ect most of these are the easiest templates because they remove certain food groups. each of them can have dangerous flaws too. But people seem to think we are all wired the same way and seem to think someone who does keto should be able to do full vegan just because they have maybe a few years in that food cycle. But for the most part yes we feel ya, For the most part we all get attacked on the forums over keto or eating lower than the recommendations at times. We get judged because they just don't understand so don't take them too seriously and go off what your body needs and what it tells you. Sometimes you might find you need very little one day and the next day you just need a good calorie/macro bump and should not stress over either. Not going to kill a person to get a little more than they need every so often just stick to what is working for you 90% the time.
    sorry to hear of the harassment but good luck! let actions speak not words. ;)
  • ssunshine1021
    ssunshine1021 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the keto diet but not sure how to get started. I think going low carb is what it's all about? Any help is appreciated
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the keto diet but not sure how to get started. I think going low carb is what it's all about? Any help is appreciated

Yes, it is very low carb. Basic "Low Carb" worked well for me for weight loss (60+ pounds). I was sort of accidental that it happened because my intent was to lose weight by not eating the things I tended to over eat (sweets mostly) and when I cut them out, it sort of placed me in the low carb arena (~128 grams average).

Mid stream in maintenance I decided to trial keto (<20 grams per day) for a reason other than weight management (neurological movement disorder) and weight maintenance suddenly became fairly simple because fat is suppressing to my hunger. I was really challenged my 1st 18 months or so to maintain my weight on what was higher carbs and considerably lower fat.

Fat is where it's at for me. :) While I no longer strive for ketosis I have to thank my keto trial (and the reading that I did) to move me in the direction of not fearing fat and finally not struggling to maintain.
  • mctheresa
    mctheresa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh and my profile and food diary here are public, so anyone can see exactly what I eat everyday lol. No shame here lol I am not perfect every single day , but like I said this way of eating makes it easy to not cheat or over eat
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I know there are a lot of arm chair nutritionists and people who just love to argue about anything and everything but aside from them the majority of people I see that have issues with changes in a person's way of eating (WOE) whether it be keto, vegan, or just low carb don't want to even think about change in their own life. Change is difficult for a lot of people and they will resist it as much as possible and in doing so they can get quite nasty about your WOE to keep themselves from facing change. There is a culture around food and changing one's WOE brings on a lot of "what ifs" and a lot of people can't cope with them especially with everything else going on in their lives, even if a change in what you eat can alleviate the stress of the "what ifs". I hear a lot of "I could never give up X" or "That WOE is limiting, what you do you eat just X and X at every meal" or "My family won't support my WOE" or "That is just too hard I can't do X". It's really not about what you eat its about their fear of change in their own lives and they may need to re-evaluate everything they hold dear about food, especially if they use food to cope with stress.

I've made significant life changes in the past few years and a lot of my friends have taken notice. I tell them what I do and how I cope with stress and the work I put in daily but I can't force them act and embrace change in their lives, even if everything I do would help them immensely. They always throw up some defense mechanism like "I don't have time for X" blah blah blah. I just lead by example and if and when they decide to make a change in their lives I will be there to support their choices.

Also don't ever underestimate addiction and food addiction is just as powerful as drugs or alcohol and people will defend that *kitten* like their life depended on it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think some of the problem is tha keto'ers do sometimes get their facts wrong, or just our grammar and wording less than exact, and because we have found something that works so well for us, we sing it to the rooftops.... But we're singing something that is not completely right. For some reason, there are a few members who feel the need to mock the post or poster rather than politely correct them. And then they assume that everyone doing the diet believes the wrong thing... And then there is more impolite responses.:(

Plus I do think that some see it as an attack in their choice of diet. If keto is the greatest then their diet is not tops. ;) I think the majority of keto'ers know that ketosis may not be best suited to everyone. I think most diet moderators realize that moderation is not best for everyone too, there are just loud posters who forget.

I'm pretty sure I've been woo'd more than liked on the main boards. Lol ;)
    I think this is a great point. I often see new keto-ers singing it from the rooftops, but the tune ain't quite right. ie why they are losing isn't necessarily what they are saying.

I also think back to the "eat more to weigh less" year and the "IIFYM" year on MFP and how many times I rolled my own eyes at the mis-speak regarding both of those approaches.

And, I remember my own early days of changing my diet when I would use short hand to describe what I was doing. It was imprecise, and it undermined my message terribly.

Heck, even "good carbs" is imprecise, and undermines the message. (but nutrient dense high fiber isn't as easy to say!)