Overeating at night

Options
I was doing so good with tracking etc. for the week; then last night I ended up eating lots of junk food (doritos/chocolate) and not great food: chicken nuggets.
Disappointed in myself a bit. I tracked it all (later) and it was over 1,600 calories! I ate a small breakfast and a medium lunch and a snack too, so it's not like I didn't eat all day.
Anyone have helpful advice? I knew I was going off the rails when it was happening, and I did it anyway :(

Replies

• herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, so sorry your struggling, I’ve been there myself. Night time was a trigger for me and would induce anxiety which would cause me to reach for food. I solved this issue by not eating after dinner. If I get bingie I will drink herbal tea or lemon water or even completely remove myself away from the kitchen. Over time I’ve developed new habits for the trigger. I go to bed early to get as far away from the kitchen as possible and now i intermittent fast since I stopped eating after dinner. For awhile I did take 5htp to help with my anxiety and stress levels, sometimes I add back in that supplement. If you find yourself snacky snacky on the daily and not so much from stress I’d look at your protein levels and kick that up if your not getting and staying full off your meals. Hope you find relief soon..
  • NaeNaeGarvey
    NaeNaeGarvey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Evening is my snack weakness time. I try To save myself 200 calories for “dessert”. Then if I’m snacky, I’ll have a piece of toast or a glass of wine. Lately I’ve had strawberries sliced up and ready. I need to have something if i want it. I’ve also ordered a few books I think I’ll like. If I’m reading I’m not likely to eat. But land sakes i want Food at night. Lol
  • NaeNaeGarvey
    NaeNaeGarvey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What is it about night time? We are winding down with nothing to? We hold out all day and just let go? I can skip breakfast or lunch, but even after I’ve had dinner, my body say, “oooooo nighttime, you want coooookies”.
  • jengerbeatty
    jengerbeatty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think staying busy is key - I've been better...it's just once in a while at night I totally just go nuts and eat whatever and how much ever. Not just a snack but multiple snacks of whatever the worst food I have around :(
    I think completely avoiding the kitchen is a good idea - like if I start with a little snack, I'm gonna have multiple. I just need to be aware of when I'm going to lose control of it and just have a tea or water, that's a good idea.
  • sunshine9764
    sunshine9764 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi sorry to hear you had a bad day/night and that is what you need to remember. It is one night, forgive yourself, at least you logged the food which helped you be accountable, and get back up. I am curious though, you say you "knew you were going off the rails but did it anyway". I have gotten to the point on my journey that when this happens I will examine my day VERY closely to see if something else didn't trigger the episode. As an emotional eater, speaking for myself and no one else, I have found that often a binge is often triggered by some unresolved issue or issues, from past days, that I either didn't acknowledge or thought that it was not important at the time and so did not deal with the issue. Either way, we are all human and we will slip up. The important thing is to get up and keep going.
  • elizabethpikalek
    elizabethpikalek Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Last night I woke up and ate a bunch of cookies I was planning on taking to work today. They were the mini cookies and I ate 15 of them! I was doing pretty well with my fasting and not eating at night when I wake up. It’s a hard habit to break, and sometimes we fail. I’m not gonna be upset at myself. I’m just going to reevaluate the rest of her my day and try again tomorrow!

I really think being aware of what your bad habit is and being mindful of the mindset that you’re in when you’re doing it is a powerful first step.
  • kmcintosh1988
    kmcintosh1988 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Night time eating is definitely a problem I have. I can be so good all day and then 8 pm comes along and I go crazy. It has always been a problem for me. But I agree I think it comes from complete boredom. Your finally relaxing after a long day. The stress of having so much on our plates all the time is a trigger for me definitely. Totally agree that some nights it from some unfinished business I have had going on. I eat at night to make myself feel better. Or I eat at night to reward myself for doing so well though out the day. Emotional eating is a tough habit to break. I now lean on sugar free gum. When I feel like I’m hungry I try asking myself if I’m indeed hungry. Sometimes going though the day in my head of everything I’ve eaten tells me I shouldn’t be. Am I thirsty. Did I drink enough water through the day? Sometime that’s the answer. I’ll make myself some tea and sip it to see if that helps. After tea I’ll usually throw the gum into my mouth. Sometimes it’s merely the act of chewing that helps me. I know it sounds weird but for me it works. Some days are just better than others. I take it day by day.
  • KacyCarpe
    KacyCarpe Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I found that getting out of the house and DOING something really helped. Find a friend to go for a walk, or a swim, or yoga, or painting, or pottery, or whatever floats your boat. Many activities are low or no cost. By the time you get home, start winding down for bed. It's the perfect cure for the loneliness and boredom and general unhappiness with our daily lives that can be the underlying cause of mindless nighttime snacking and bingeing.
  • BooTiFulDizaStR
    BooTiFulDizaStR Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi friend I say we both struggle in the same area, nighttime snacking. I recommend that you evaluate what's going on before dinner and after dinner or your entire day. See exactly what it is that is triggering you to wanting to snack time. For me it has been insomnia and then it creates anxiety then I want to hit the food for comfort. Maybe if you just try evaluating your day. I'm barely recognizing this with self. Im going to try some meditation before bedtime or maybe even an hour after dinner. Maybe do a night time devotion some type of affirmations to help me get through the evening without wanting to hit the refrigerator or the kitchen. I hope it helps you, if it does let me know, if it doesn't let me know....anyways let's help each other out.
  • jsann
    jsann Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love these comments! I just started back at MFP, and after supper is my worst time. I wrote down many of your suggestions. It's like a wild obsessive urge comes over me at night to eat. I used to grade papers and that kept me from eating, but I'm retired now. I think I need something to do with my hands.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    jsann wrote: »
    I love these comments! I just started back at MFP, and after supper is my worst time. I wrote down many of your suggestions. It's like a wild obsessive urge comes over me at night to eat. I used to grade papers and that kept me from eating, but I'm retired now. I think I need something to do with my hands.
    So true about the hands, I too have to keep mine busy, I like making jewelry, coloring, jigsaw puzzles, and crafting… that’s all using my hands. And I still have to stay away from the kitchen, even all this time later. Lol 😂
  • Mofit40
    Mofit40 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am sympathetic with your binge night. I find that sitting and watching television is one tigger to over eating. Finding alternatives like arts and crafts and crossword puzzles help as a replacement for television and can help with reducing over eating.
  • cecily610
    cecily610 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also like to eat snacks at night.