Trying new things -- Hop Water

Options
I'm posting this today because Sunday has football, which is often associated with beer, which makes me think of hops.

I heard about hop water a couple months ago and have recently begun to try some. These are flavored carbonated water -- no sugar, no alcohol -- with an adult flavor.

Lagunitas makes something called Hoppy Refresher. They apparently add a touch of yeast to interact with the hops, which makes a very interesting almost floral/ fruity flavor (still no alcohol) and somehow gives a little impression of sweetness. I liked it a lot, but have not been able to get more.

Sierra Nevada makes Hop Splash, which I have not tasted yet. Working on that. It is supposed to give an impression that is dryer and more herbal/ typically hoppy than the Lagunitas.

And I have also tried some products from Hoplark. They make hop water and also hop + tea combinations (some of which have caffeine). The tea that I tried was fairly bitter, it didn't suit my taste the first time I tried it, but a couple days later it was enjoyable enough. The web site mentions combinations with a lighter touch of hops and herbal teas.

There is also HOP WTR, which has versions with additional fruit flavors added. (None tried).

I could definitely see myself using these to provide a bit of refreshment. Unfortunately they are not exactly cheap. $1.50 to $2.50 per bottle/can, plus shipping costs if they aren't in local stores. There might be alternative local versions in other parts of the country, I'm not sure.

Replies

• crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,951 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I haven’t noticed that around, but one thing I learned from Sam Hendler - I’m a malt guy. My preference is porters, stouts, and wee Scotch heavy ale. I tend to associate hop smell with bitter beer.