Love Your Health: Feb 2023 Challenge

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
Let's show some love to ourselves by selecting a goal that is going to further your health in some way, whether it be physical health or even mental health.

This challenge is for all levels: weightloss or maintenance!

You could keep trying to get some pesky weight off.
Or make sure your electrolyte levels are better.
Or commit to more exercise.
Or decide to forgo a bad habit you KNOW is hampering your health from being what it could.
Or start a good habit you've been putting off.
Or simply continue to focus on whatever health-conscious New Year's Resolution you made for last month.

And of course, hit dem Basics! ;)
The Basics? Glad you asked :joy:

Planning ahead!!!
Staying under carbs
Staying under calories
Logging and measuring
Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
Getting enough water
Planning ahead!!! Oh, wait. I said that already? Yes, I frickin' did. Because you must! "Failing to plan is planning to fail."

<3 Love your health <3 by "sprinting," (focusing hard and giving your all) for the whole month. It's only 28 days.
You've got this!

Replies

• taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    As per my last few months, I’ll stick with the basics. Keep protein fairly high, fat moderate and carbs under 50g. I’ll keep with my fasting and am focusing a bit on removing toxins from my environment. I have stuck with eliminating most artificial sweeteners and am trying to make natural foods my first priority over processed. Seems like a lot but I think I got this.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    2023 SW 175
    Feb SW 171.5
    Feb GW still aiming for 168

Continuing my strength training this month with Sunday group class and Monday personal training. Jan cardio was limited to Thursday spin class. I need to add to that, make a schedule and stick to it.

Carb goal still good but having a little trouble meeting my protein goal and honestly the fat content of some of my fav keto recipes is a bit high. I'll experiment with lower that in next week's food prep.

Sat I made keto peanut butter granola and keto pumpkin bread.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,419 Member
    Options
    Hi all ... I will support all but at this time I am trying to get this darn foot of mine better before I start keto ...still very painful I see my podiatrist this Thursday ...after it heals then I start PT (a lonnnnnnng road ahead of me) until then I will come in here read comments and post ... Have a great February everyone :)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I am back again. It seems to be taking me a long time to figure out that I cannot moderate my eating unless I am low carb. Right now I'm in PT for a few issues so I'm not supposed to be doing any outside workouts until I get the okay from the therapist so my goals will be simple this month:

*Try to stick to 50 net carbs a day
    *PT 2x a week
    *Do my prescribed at home PT exercises daily
    *Take a walk 3x a week
  • taylok23
    Options
    I’ve gained this week but have had some stress from work and have eaten more than I likely need, regardless that it has been in plan. I’ve had some cravings but have gotten past them. I’m still fasting but this week I’ve been getting hungry earlier. I’ve listened and cut the fasts short. This is a marathon or so I keep saying to myself. Hope everyone else is hanging in there this month!
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    2023 SW 175
    Feb SW 171.5
    CW 172
    Feb GW still aiming for 168

Added a 25 min indoor bike ride Tues and did 60 min spin class last night. Will do some strength today and tomorrow will be a rest day. Back to group on Sunday.

I've been enjoying my keto granola mixed in plain greek yogurt, nice little parfait. The pumpkin bread I made last week will be my french toast this morning. I bought some zucchini to either make morning glory muffins or chocolate zucchini bread this weekend. If I haven't said this before, I really love the recipes on alldayidreaboutfood.com.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    My name is Mary, 65 from Pennsylvania.
    Been MIA for a few months but still logging in everyday since I started MFP 5/14/21. Trying to get back into the swing of posting on my threads I've been in for awhile. 640 continuous days today in a row since I started MFP.

Unfortunately lost my mojo and gained a lot back but not all Thank God! Need to get back on track and focused. I bought a NEW to me, gently used, Commercial PreCor EFX 835 Elliptical. It was delivered the beginning of November, as others here know I wore my previous 10+ year old one out from my extensive workouts. Back up to 150 minutes on my 3 days off per week.

Good to see some familiar names here and glad to see some new ones too!

Heaviest weight 255 lbs, twice. :-(
    9/14/20-255 lbs
    5/14/21-232.2 lbs
    4/6/22- 147.6 lbs (107.4 lbs lost) I did NOT have a surgery. Did Keto.
    8/1/22- 167.2 lbs
    12/1/22-198 lbs
    1/1/23- 213.4 lbs

2/1/23- 207.4 lbs
    2/5/23- 207.8 lbs
    2/12/23- 206.4 lbs Elliptical Interval setting 150 minutes Fri, Sat & Sun for 9.89-10 miles.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,419 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone .... No more crutches ... I am on a scooter where I rest my knee on a pad and wheel around ...My armpits are happy with no more crutches ... very black and blue and very swollen ... I will be happy with this is behind me ... I have a house guest this week ... we went to nursing school together ... She lives in Hawaii boy is it nice to have her around ... :) I hope everyone is going good :)
  • taylok23
    Options
    So I made it through Super Bowl weekend without going crazy, eating off plan and just generally stuffing myself. I did go to the grocery the night before to have some things on hand and made the mistake of taking along my saboteur, aka dear husband. I was a bit embarrassed by our cart with the junk food he grabbed. So that lead us to discussing his eating habits and cleaning it up! I'm still up a bit in weight but finally got around to doing some measurements and have some very small NSVs. I lost a quarter inch in the arms and waist while maintaining in the chest, hips and thigh. But I'll take it! My pics don't show much of a difference from when I snapped some in December but I'm not to be discouraged. I'm going to keep on intermittent fasting (which has been feeling fairly easy to do 16-17 hours) and watching out for the processed junk. I still crave a diet coke or a latte now and again but have been trying distracting myself to avoid falling back into those habits. It's only been a month without so I want to see how long I can keep this up! Hopefully everyone enjoys valentine's day tomorrow with some low carb, tasty treats.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Been MIA for a few months but still logging in everyday since I started MFP 5/14/21. Trying to get back into the swing of posting on my threads I've been in for awhile. 640 continuous days today in a row since I started MFP.

Unfortunately lost my mojo and gained a lot back but not all Thank God! Need to get back on track and focused. I bought a NEW to me, gently used, Commercial PreCor EFX 835 Elliptical. It was delivered the beginning of November, as others here know I wore my previous 10+ year old one out from my extensive workouts. Back up to 150 minutes on my 3 days off per week.

9/14/20-255 lbs
    5/14/21-232.2 lbs
    8/1/22- 167.2 lbs
    12/1/22-198 lbs
    1/1/23- 213.4 lbs

2/1/23- 207.4 lbs
    2/5/23- 207.8 lbs
    2/12/23- 206.4 lbs Elliptical Interval setting 150 minutes Fri, Sat & Sun for 9.89-10 miles. Work 2/13, 14 & 15.
    2/16/23- 202.4 lbs Elliptical Interval setting 150 minutes for 9.98 miles.

I think I'm starting to get my head back into the "right mindset" again!!!
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    @swimmom_1 you're doing great! Longest I can do on the elliptical is an hour, my feet start to get pins & needles. For my indoor bike at home, I've been maxing out at 30 min because of the seat. I need to get my gel seat pad off my outdoor bike or just go buy a new one LOL

2023 SW 175
    Feb SW 171.5
    CW 173
    Feb GW changed to 170 from168

I feel bloated this week and we didn't even do anything for Superbowl or Valentines. I am feeling extra hungry between 9am and noon so need to improve my breakfast. Will do some weights at lunch today and hopefully a walk tomorrow. Sunday is group fitness class and bowling.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    @swimmom_1 you're doing great! Longest I can do on the elliptical is an hour, my feet start to get pins & needles.

Thank you.
    I used to do on my old Elliptical 3-3.5 hours. Had done 2 or 3 Marathons on it. 26.2 miles taking me 5-5.5 hours, mainly to see if I could do it. First time when I was up to 20 miles, I thought I wonder if I can? That was on my old Elliptical that didn't have a incline. I actually wore it out. I now have a gently used Commercial PreCor that has pre programmed workouts that automatically incline, decline and different resistances. My left fingers go numb and tingling occasionally with using the arm poles from Spinal Stenosis in C4-C5. I have to stop using the poles and move my fingers and rotate my neck around to relieve it. I don't think I could do that long on this one unless I did a manual workout with no incline. This is a better or harder workout.

Opened a cough drop early this AM. The wrapper has some inspirational sayings and I think they apply to us and wanted to share!
    -Conquer today
    -Let's hear your battle cry
    -Push on
    -Be resilient
    -Don't give up on you
    -Impress yourself today.
    All of these on a little cough drop wrapper!!!!
  • swimmom_1
    Options

9/14/20-255 lbs
    5/14/21-232.2 lbs
    8/1/22- 167.2 lbs
    12/1/22-198 lbs
    1/1/23- 213.4 lbs

2/1/23- 207.4 lbs
    2/5/23- 207.8 lbs
    2/12/23- 206.4 lbs Elliptical Interval setting 150 minutes Fri, Sat & Sun for 9.89-10 miles. Work 2/13, 14 & 15.
    2/16/23- 202.4 lbs Elliptical Interval setting 150 minutes for 9.98 miles.
    2/19/23- 201.8 lbs Elliptical Interval setting 150 minutes on Fri- 9.91 miles & Sun- 10.0 miles.

• taylok23
    Options
    I’ve not had the momentum this month that I did in January. I’ve been snacking on nuts, had a few drinks with friends and Girl Scout cookies happened. But I got an email today that made me feel better so I thought I would share the lead off quote. “ Where you are now is exactly where you are supposed to be. Trust the process.” It proceeds to talk about gaining, cheating, binging and that it might not make sense now but it will when you reach your destination. I like this outlook and will remind myself that I’m doing the best I can and it is one day at a time. Happy Monday!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm late to the game!
    I've been doing the keto 800 (ish) for 5 weeks. It's been a bit wobbly, but I've gone from 117kgs to 109kgs in that time. I'm not very active yet, but will be aiming to increase that.
    Glad to meet you all.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    *Try to stick to 50 net carbs a day
    *PT 2x a week
    *Do my prescribed at home PT exercises daily
    *Take a walk 3x a week

I think I've done pretty well on these so far this month. I did miss a PT appointment due to a conflicting appointment and I've missed a walk or daily at home exercise a couple times due to illness.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Elliptical Interval (HIIT) setting first session 124 minutes for 8.14 miles, zone 3. The had to babysit for about 2 hours, then the second session Interval setting again 56 minutes for 3.75 miles, zone 3= 180 minutes, 11.89 miles.

I have to get back to Onederland!!!
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    2023 SW 175
    Feb SW 171.5
    CW 172
    Feb GW 170

In a better place in my head this week. Hunger is less. Family dinner night tonight and they all wanted lasagna. I need to make something else for myself. Will do some weights at lunch today and just signed up for Thurs spin class.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Elliptical HIIT setting, 150 minutes for 9.94 miles all zone 3 & 4.