Frustration

Options
I am sorry about this but I guess I just need to do a mini rant and get my frustrations out! I'm doing my damndest to keep my foods healthy and within the calorie guidelines. I seem to be doing more activity..although not formal exercise , every day! I'm going here, going there, taking somebody someplace, babysitting, taking care of hubby..all the things that women normally do..and poof, the weight is going nowhere. I am trying to be conscientous about eating good foods..yesterday though, I blew it, I was so frustrated I had a McDonalds quarter pounder (which I really regretted later..my body was NOT happy about that) . Made homemade meatloaf for dinner with roasted potatoes..and ate a sensible portion. Then I blew it a dish of vanilla ice cream but boy did it taste good. Today, the funk seems to have passed and I will keep trying. Sometimes I really hate my body, I have a nearly non-existent thyroid and losing weight is such a challenge...but I'm going to keep trying. Thank you all for listening to me have my very own pity party and rant... May you all have a safe and most Blessed Holiday weekend. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I do so understand waht you are saying, I also get really frustrated I work hard at this and not much is coming off....but you are still on the right track, we just get back up and continue to work hard...good luck one of these days we will have good numbers...take care:drinker: Have a nice Holiday also :flowerforyou:
  • mermaidmom48
    mermaidmom48 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, homemade meatloaf and potatoes sounds so good to me. I could skip the McDonalds any day for that meatloaf. Of course, I am addicted to the sweet tea and have had several times this week when it was calling my name. :blushing:

I think for us slightly older ladies, with family obligations, this is a tough journey. I am a typical southern woman, and I try to do it all for my family. A lot of times I am worn out, beat down and frankly need something to pep me up. Enter sweet tea from MickyD.

I have see/sawed all summer. Suddenly I realized this week, I was not on my list of things to do. How does that happen? For one thing, running around doing my volunteer work, babysitting the grandsons and doing a birthday for my DIL. I took my boys to see the Disney movie planes, and I bought a big buttered popcorn, and my youngest stuffed hersey kisses (my favorite candy) into my mouth :noway:

Then I went to see The Butler with a friend, and guess what, for the second day that week, Giant Buttered popcorn.....YIKES I realized, "I am out of control." So, right now, right here, this week, I checked back into MFP and put myself back on my TO DO list. So far, so good.....the whole point is, life takes us along with it, and eating clean or with discretion does not always work. All we can do is make a plan and try and stick to it. We will slip and fall.....but I love me enough to believe in me. :drinker: If I can stay away from McDonalds Sweet Tea that is.
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Mermaid - you are very wise...... I love your mindset right now........

I was having a nice evening meal tonight so more or less missed lunch...I hope it worked....yes! For me! I love your thing of putting yourself on your TO DO list!

Fingers crossed Southerngramma for a good week ahead ! :flowerforyou:

Jean
  • californiagirl1950
    Options
    Southerngramm, I too can so relate to you. I have been hurting so much that I mostly have said to myself, to heck with it! I too need to put me on a to do list. I like that thinking of yours.

This is hard work, and like most of us, we just want it to fall off by itself. Too bad that is not the case huh.

Well new month and I am working hard to get my right frame of mind back. I am so glad to have you all here that understand the difficulty of this losing thing.

Have a great day, great week and an even greater month. WE CAN DO THIS!
  • sspahn49
    sspahn49 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Do not beat yourself up, we have all done it. The key is getting back and realizing it really is a lifestyle change. I was on vaca with the kids and grandkids last week and had a eating frenzy!! I forced myself to weigh this AM and when I saw the gain it helped me get back on track. The weight is so hard to lose and so easy to gain.

After doing this for over a year, one of the things I have had to do is not go near a fast food restaurant. If I do not have to make the good choices there, which are very difficult, I am not tempted. I also have crazy rules like not eating in my car unless I am ready to faint from exercise and then I keep protein bars in my purse.

I think you are doing great!! I just spent a week in my beloved NC and the food was just awesome, from the pork BBQ to the fried catfish and huspuppies. Yum!!!
  • Joe_Atlanta
    Joe_Atlanta Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Man, reading through this thread is making me hungry for for some good ol' Southern cooking. Last week I had a gig at a restaurant that advertises itself as "Southern comfort food with a modern twist". That meant some of the food was fairly healthy, but there ain't much you can do with chicken fried steak (with cream gravy) and mac n' cheese (heavy on the cheese). Had to have some sweet tea with it. Needless to say I was way over for the day.

But, the next day was a new day. Back in the groove, no regrets, keep looking forward.
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    It happens to us all one way or another.......I had a bottle of wine over the last three days and last night ended up nibbling while watching TV ... I know it's the wine makes me fall off the wagon.....so why do I do it? I would guess I have put back on the 2 pounds you see I have lost...but not getting weighed until I have had a few good days this week... another new day, another GOOD day today!

:tongue:

Jean
  • KathleenC12
    KathleenC12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi, fellow human being-woman! Please don't let a trip to McDonald's own you. It's done... and you learned something from it.

FWIW, it helps me to recognize my "helpless foods" and stay away or find substitutes. I carry low cal popcorn to movies and have things at home, like baby carrots, frozen grapes or bananas so I'm not grabbing what other family members can eat without gaining. A friend of mine taught me to call things like candy bars or fries (am powerless around them) "other people's food".

And I don't mistake being 'busy' for exercise. A 20-min walk burns calories but wiping the kitchen counter (for the fifth time that day) does not.

Wishing you the best on this journey. You can do it.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've just restarted at mfp so I hope this works. I set a goal of 10,000 steps per day every day. I may not make it but that's my goal. I wear a fitbit and check it throughout the day, This tells me how active I am so I know whether I have to pick up the pace a bit. For example, today I did not go to the gym. Our gym doesn't open til 11 on Sunday. I've usually made other plans by then and just don't plan on going. From just walking around doing daily activities I logged 7300 steps by 7PM. I'll go for a short walk to make up the deficit. Usually, just once around the block is enough but I may walk a little more if I feel like it.

I go to the gym with friends every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. When I go, I don't leave until 10,000 steps are completed. This takes about an hour of walking. On gym days I easily make it to 13000 or more.

With all the other activities you have going on, this might help you as well. At least you will know whether you are as active as you think you are and can plan accordingly. When I first started wearing my fitbit, it was shocking how few steps I actually took compared to what I thought I was doing.

It's worth a try

I have never been athletic or even particularly coordinated but I can put one foot in front of the other.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    I've just restarted at mfp so I hope this works. I set a goal of 10,000 steps per day every day. I may not make it but that's my goal. I wear a fitbit and check it throughout the day, This tells me how active I am so I know whether I have to pick up the pace a bit. For example, today I did not go to the gym. Our gym doesn't open til 11 on Sunday. I've usually made other plans by then and just don't plan on going. From just walking around doing daily activities I logged 7300 steps by 7PM. I'll go for a short walk to make up the deficit. Usually, just once around the block is enough but I may walk a little more if I feel like it.

I go to the gym with friends every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. When I go, I don't leave until 10,000 steps are completed. This takes about an hour of walking. On gym days I easily make it to 13000 or more.

With all the other activities you have going on, this might help you as well. At least you will know whether you are as active as you think you are and can plan accordingly. When I first started wearing my fitbit, it was shocking how few steps I actually took compared to what I thought I was doing.

It's worth a try

I have never been athletic or even particularly coordinated but I can put one foot in front of the other.

Welcome back and this did work, I saw it :wink:

I am working up to getting in those 10K steps a day. Your routine with friends sounds great. I use a watch that counts my steps, and learned very quickly I wasn't always stepping as much as I thought.

I am not athletic either, but I do like to dance and walk/hike.