Iron and protein challenges from non- processed foods?

Options
Clean eating appears successful the majority of the time but I notice a subtle fasting of iron and protein from having no processed foods, at all.

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,626 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a vegan or vegetarian diet? I find the same on a vegetarian diet - trying to avoid the fake meats and eating only some dairy. I think perhaps the numbers we are used to seeing might be artificially exaggerated because of supplementation. And am trying very hard not to worry about it. But would love to read others opinion/knowledge.
  • Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 875 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Hi
    I agree. I am vegan (at home) vegetarian (with friends and at restaurants) for 5 years now. I listened a lot to podcasts about this lifestyle and therefore was not worried about protein. I am a triathlete and I can see that I am performing good.

However I am also listening to Half size me podcast and read the last book from the No Meat Athlete community and there it was evident that a little more protein would be good. Both for performance and satiety.

This winter I incorporated pea protein powder in my soup and indeed felt better satiated. Now that the soup season is over and we go into summer I don't know how to do it.
    I try to avoid process food (I still eat it but the less the better) so I look at protein bar but in fact vegan protein bar have only 10g protein and usually fat and carbohydrates as well. This is not as effective as the pea protein powder... Maybe in nice cream ?

I am taking advices from anyone who has found a good solution !
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I do eat meat and many vegetables. I don’t have a hard time getting iron or protein. I rarely eat processed foods.

That being said - my ferritin levels weren’t optimal .. so I track iron. I’ve been getting extra iron by cooking in a cast iron skillet and adding spinach and Swiss chard to juices and recipes where I can.