September Chat

Options
2»

Replies

• californiagirl1950
    Options
    Well, here we are middle of Sept already. Time does seem to fly. Our weather has gotten cooler after a week of over 100. I am thinking it might be time to take the pool down, but then I remember some past October's where we were up near 100! Pondering what to do.

Went to the movie yesterday and saw "The Family". It was ok, had some laughs, but we feel it could of had more of a plot. Since our little theater was rescued by New Yorker's now transplanted to our town, I have gone to see quite a few movies. It is only 2 blocks away so we walk there and back. Also the price for seniors before 6pm is only 4bucks. Can't beat that!

Well, I hope you all are having a wonderful day and don't forget to keep on keeping on!
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Certainly cooler here - and wet and windy...I managed to get a 30 minute run in between the showers....... my husband dropped me off at the top of a long gradual hill....going down to town. So I ran all the way down and actually enjoyed just the feeling of running, probably because it was cooler. I am into my second week now and think it is getting easier........... at leasy going downhill........ I had my iPod music beating out a great rhythm..........

Got a busy week here .... hope you are all doing well!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Jean
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Jean, I think going downhill is the best way to start. There is not really a "downhill" where I live just lots of ups and downs (LOL). Walking is good enough for me and I haven't done enough of that lately. So good for you!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I saw this and thought it worth sharing here, it is a repost from lifehacker.com:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1072281-article-how-i-experimented-my-way-to-losing-100-pounds
  • Joe_Atlanta
    Joe_Atlanta Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So I ran all the way down
    Way to go! That's how I started jogging on my loop around my neighborhood. However, I did it in ~ 20 yard increments. Jog a bit, walk a while. It's taken me a couple of months but now I jog about 60% of my route, even UP some of the smaller hills!

AARP blogger Hannah Guffman has a good article and video on how to start running for us oldsters (you don't have to have a hill):
    Running After 50
    http://blog.aarp.org/2013/05/21/tips-for-running-after-50-best-exercise-for-50-adults-jogging/
  • californiagirl1950
    Options
    We had a wonderful overnight rain. I love the smell of the first rain. I was saying the other day it might be time to take the pool down, but then remembered late Septembers in the past when we had 110 degree weather. lol Guess I will give it another 2 weeks and see how it is going to be. Fall equinox is tomorrow, so I guess it is time for cooler weather, but here we just never know. I wish we would get each season, but most of the time we don't. Seems we go from Summer right into Winter and Winter right into Summer. We somehow miss the Fall and Spring. Although this past Summer was more like Spring, so it is any ones guess!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Ok I actually did a walk/run session. It happened because of the downhill on that side of my loop. It was sort of fun, so I then ran around the goal posts on the soccer field. Running on grass is so much easier than the sidewalk on the joints. Loved that feeling.

I guess I finally did find a sports bra that contains the 'girls' they usually try to knock my chin off.

OMG, will I becoming someone who runs?????? I hope not. Just isn't my style.
  • jeanmrob
    Options
    Cool to see so many of us are walking/jogging/running.......... downhill is definitely easier and more enjoyable....... from my house is a mile downhill to town so a couple of days I have been running down to town and jumping on the bus to come back up .....

I am not ready to run up hills yet Joe...... :bigsmile:

Jean
  • jeanmrob
    Options
    And thank you for the Blog link...... she is right!:bigsmile:

Jean