March Mindfulness Challenge 2023

Options

Replies

• LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    oh no, ouch!!! Let us know @Megan_smartiepants1970. if you can just get through the infections, surgeries and heal up!!!
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    @megan_smartiepants1970 hang in there! For anyone interested in cycle syncing, the gist is this. One the first day of your period thru day 10 go strict keto, longer fasts like 17 hours and go heavy on weights, HIIT or running. Your body can handle it at this point. Day 11-15 shorten fasts to about 15 hours, add a few more healthy carbs like a sweet potato or squash and ease up a bit on the harder exercise. Days 16-19 go back to keto and a longer fast. And finally in days 20-28, no fasting, easy exercise like walks and yoga and cycle those good carbs. Dr Mindy Pelz has some YouTube videos outlining this or her Fast Like A Girl book. For anyone already in menopause I’ve seen it suggested to use the moon cycle (full moon being day 1). Seems witchy but I dig it!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    My name is Mary, 65 from Pennsylvania.
    Been MIA for a few months but still logging in everyday since I started MFP 5/14/21. Trying to get back into the swing of posting on my threads I've been in for awhile. 657 continuous days today in a row since I started MFP.

Unfortunately lost my mojo and gained a lot back but not all Thank God! Need to get back on track and focused. I bought a NEW to me, gently used, Commercial PreCor EFX 835 Elliptical. It was delivered the beginning of November, as others here know I wore my previous 10+ year old one out from my extensive workouts. Back up to 150 minutes on my 3 days off per week.

Good to see some familiar names here and glad to see some new ones too!

Heaviest weight 255 lbs, twice. :-(
    9/14/20-255 lbs
    5/14/21-232.2 lbs
    4/6/22- 147.6 lbs (107.4 lbs lost) I did NOT have a surgery. Did Keto.
    8/1/22- 167.2 lbs
    12/1/22-198 lbs
    1/1/23- 213.4 lbs
    2/1/23- 207.4 lbs
    3/1/23- 201 lbs

3/5/23- 200 lbs Elliptical Thurs, Fri & Sun 150 minutes for just over 10 miles each session. Finally glad to see a drop. I was hoping for Onederland though. Oh well, it's inevitable. Can't complain about 7.4 lbs since 2/1, in 4 1/2

3/12-23 205 lbs. Too many carbs lately. Elliptical HIIT setting on Friday & today (Babysitting on Sat) 150 minutes each day, just over 10 miles each day.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,690 Member
    Options
    Having a hard time getting back on keto. But fighting. Bouncing 200-210 range. Started walking again. Then it started raining again (California).

@baconslave - I printed out your mindful-eating list. They are so important and I've totally forgotten them. Going to paste the list on the fridge to remind me before each meal. <3

Also, right now the "What the heck, I already blew it" or "What the heck, I'm fine, it doesn't matter" are derailing me. Need to switch the mentality to "I don't need it" or "Not really hungry, y'know" or "Isn't it amazing to be satisfied with so little"...
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

Did your current hormone levels get compared to where they may have been at previously? Just because they fall into the "normal" range doesn't mean that is normal for you. I have all the symptoms minus the night sweats, but my hormone levels are also "fine". I have been encouraged to follow adrenal support protocols, weight training, focus on quality sleep and nutritious food.

I never had them tested before so no way to know. I'm currently at one of my body's 2 set weights so I have to make changes if I'm going to push through it. Today I am adjusting to the time change. Very little sleep last night but I have a strength class at my trainer's that should perk me up.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    so5k0ggqt1we.png
    Last week's mindfulness results. No surprise that I really have to pull up my socks on the exercise bit. It will not be today as I had to the most disrupted sleep last night over and above the time change. I am liking the intermittent fasting and I may narrow the window on that soon. I quickly realized that I needed to recognize chores on my list. Accomplishing tasks really provides a sense of calm for me and I track the "above and beyond things" not daily dishes type stuff.

Have a great week everyone
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    @kimberwolf71 really do love that chart. I had something similar but just for workouts and couldn't make myself use it consistently. But this inspired me to try another approach.

Made some low carb coconut blueberry bread over the weekend, so yummy!
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    Happy to report that IF is a working nicely for me and I can keep it going. I was worried about how I would do on the weekends and it was fine. My Thur night spin classes have been challenging and I like it. The instructor makes us work hard at pushing us out of our usual routines and comfort zones.
  • LifeChangz
    Options
    wonderful, both of you @tishsmith101 and @kimberwolf71

hard to believe we are middle of March - and it is a fun weekend to go do green things ~ gotta keep walking the talk! ;) I have been using the food tracker to help me figure out carbs - it's going well this month.

25n5h4chkwa5.jpg
  • taylok23
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I survived a carby start to the week from celebrating my birthday and finished off the desserts yesterday so got back to keto today and was quite relieved. I know how my body rebels against sugar and carbs and yet I still partake. Isn’t that just dumb?? Ah well, another year to keep learning, I suppose. While eating off plan, I have stuck to my fasting and exercising to support my cycle. Now to keep the food on point and we’ll see how I feel over the next few weeks. I’m hoping for a decrease in cravings and maybe a few pounds dropping since I seem to be back to maintaining. I need to get some measurements and plot them to see how I’ve trended over the last year.
  • LifeChangz
    Options
    Happy Birthday @taylok23 ~ wishing you a year full of healthy, happy & progress :)
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    My name is Mary, 65 from Pennsylvania.
    Been MIA for a few months but still logging in everyday since I started MFP 5/14/21. Trying to get back into the swing of posting on my threads I've been in for awhile. 657 continuous days today in a row since I started MFP.

Unfortunately lost my mojo and gained a lot back but not all Thank God! Need to get back on track and focused. I bought a NEW to me, gently used, Commercial PreCor EFX 835 Elliptical. It was delivered the beginning of November, as others here know I wore my previous 10+ year old one out from my extensive workouts. Back up to 150 minutes on my 3 days off per week.

Good to see some familiar names here and glad to see some new ones too!

Heaviest weight 255 lbs, twice. :-(
    9/14/20-255 lbs
    5/14/21-232.2 lbs
    4/6/22- 147.6 lbs (107.4 lbs lost) I did NOT have a surgery. Did Keto.
    8/1/22- 167.2 lbs
    12/1/22-198 lbs
    1/1/23- 213.4 lbs
    2/1/23- 207.4 lbs
    3/1/23- 201 lbs

3/5/23- 200 lbs Elliptical Thurs, Fri & Sun 150 minutes for just over 10 miles each session. Finally glad to see a drop. I was hoping for Onederland though. Oh well, it's inevitable. Can't complain about 7.4 lbs since 2/1, in 4 1/2
    3/12-23 205 lbs. Too many carbs lately. Elliptical HIIT setting on Friday & today (Babysitting on Sat) 150 minutes each day, just over 10 miles each day.

3/19/2#- 206 lbs. Having trouble keeping my carbs lower as I did before. Elliptical HIIT setting on Thursday, Friday and Sunday 150 minutes each session for 10+ miles each.
  • LifeChangz
    edited March 2023
    Options
    @swimmom_1 ~ hang in - the holiday food ads get me! what carb range are you shooting for? I bumped up from keto <50g/day to low carb <100-150g/day and 4 meals a day +/-30g per meal/snack. Find it easier emotionally.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    ohvdlsaqjqao.png
    I'm not overly happy with my poor choices and lack of movement while on the road so much last week. I have a whole lot of room for improvement to make things better this week!
  • swimmom_1
    edited March 2023
    Options
    LifeChangz wrote: »
    @swimmom_1 ~ hang in - the holiday food ads get me! what carb range are you shooting for? I bumped up from keto <50g/day to low carb <100-150g/day and 4 meals a day +/-30g per meal/snack. Find it easier emotionally.

I aim for super low, net carbs 15+/-3. Otherwise I seem to gain, whether its water weight of whatever.
  • taylok23
    Options
    Ah, the scale...I really want to break up with it and not worry about the number, but darn it, that is hard and as women, I think it is engrained into our very nature. I wondered how I've been trending so I took a look since I weigh myself regularly. Over the last year, I've stayed within the same 10 pound range. I guess I should celebrate this, but when I want to be 10 pounds lighter, it makes me crazy! I did the same with my measurements. While they have gone down slightly, it tells me I'm not really losing much fat. I got a scale at the first of the year that measures fun stuff like body fat, lean mass, water weight. Boy, does that put things in perspective. While I question the accuracy, the body fat percentage is much higher than I anticipated. So now, I'm trying to focus on non-scale victories like how I'm feeling, how my clothes feel, etc. Guess I'm just having one of those days where I'd like to say, forget it, let's have a treat, but you know what? I'm not having that kind of craving, so I guess that's a small victory, right??

I started cycle syncing on the 14th right before my birthday and have stuck with the recommendations for fasting and carb intake ( with the exception of birthday treats) and am doing alright with it. I finish off 17 hour fasts tomorrow and drop down to only 13 hours with a bit more carbs for a 3 day stretch. I'm interested to see how it feels. Hope everyone else is having a good day. Thanks for the vent!

• LifeChangz
    edited March 2023
    Options
    @kimberwolf71 ~ this week going better? it is easier to be at home - travel sure makes self-care a little more difficult.

@taylok23 ~ lol, hear that - have daydreamed ways of killing the scales! sounds like you're doing well with IF.

@swimmom_1 ~ is that 15g +/- per day? or meal? ~ i have found that if I break ketosis, you can hear my body sucking up water! I don't like the switches between/in & out of ketosis, so try to do one or the other, and if i'm doing keto. getting back into keto is the hardest; pushing thru the flu for a week.

my lower carb approach eating +/-30g per meal/eating event is working well for me at this time, but I think that is because i recently did a solid 8 weeks of keto (+/-12g per meal/eating event) where i was eating and it helped me find meals/snacks that worked. all I really have done is about double my carbs per meal.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,690 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    You know when things are so new, you're afraid of saying anything lest you jinx it? That's how I feel right now. But here goes anyway.

I think I'm back on track...
    • I've lost five pounds in the last three days. (That's my normal initial water weight loss.)
    • My net carbs are staying under 50/day.
    • I'm not having physical cravings for treats, just wishfulness.
    • My reaction to the wishfulness has switched,
      • to: "I've had enuf and don't NEED this, so NO."
    • Also, my inner daemon's lies aren't as loud and lack conviction. I'm so susceptible to these!
      • You already blew it, why stop?
      • Just one more won't hurt.
      • You can always start tomorrow...
      • You realllly need this.
      • You've been so good, you deserve a treat!

Fingers crossed.
      Thanks for being here. :flowerforyou:
  • taylok23
    Options
    @PaulaKro I seem to remember you having great success in the past. You know what works- you got this! And welcome back!