What do you want to be lighter for?

Options
pnrbor
pnrbor Posts: 56 Member
I want to lose weight because I'm a horse rider and I don't think it's fair putting those extra kg's on the horses back.

I would like to wear a swimming costume and feel comfortable.

I would like to fit into some of my old clothes.

And in general for my mental health because I get very depressed when I feel overweight and it's a vicious cycle.

What are your goals?

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Hi @pnrbor and welcome to the group!

I have some weight to lose, but honestly, am more concerned about overall fitness and strength at this point. Because of this I'm mostly in what would be considered a recomposition - lifting and progressing in my weights steadily at this point, and pretty on track for losing 0.5 lb/week (which is almost impossible to see on a scale or in photos lol).

I have a lot of reasons, two big ones, and then a few others:
    1. I see what my mother's health is like in her 60's and that is NOT the life I am willing to live at that age. I know people 10 years older than her who are in better health and feel better. She has extremely bad osteoporosis (like as bad as it can get and still be able to walk) and I would hazard a guess that there are two main reasons - 1, she has been lactose intolerant most of her life (I was born lactose intolerant) and 2, she has never been physically active outside of puttering around the house or light gardening (she did heavier gardening in her late 20's, but nothing significant since) - always had us kids doing the heavy/physically difficult work other than a very rare occasion, which we all know isn't enough.
    2. My racing (motorcycle road racing a 1000cc bike) - I'm competing against men half my age (literally, I'm 44), or guys who've been doing this their entire life, which means that if I want to be competitive, I have to train harder, more, and put in a lot more work to reach my goals.
    3. I feel better when I'm more fit! Better energy levels, better able to push through, joints and aches are a ton better too!
    4. I'm also a horse person - I don't currently own any horses, but I do take a weekly (hunter/jumper) riding lesson and would love to get back into it more when finances allow (and I live close enough to a barn to make it more reasonable lol).
    5. I'm getting my business off the ground, and I know that taking care of myself will be instrumental in helping me stay focused, feel good, and keep up with the demands. So prioritizing my fitness in all the craziness is paramount.
    6. I want to be that inspiring old lady in my 70's and 80's who's still out there doing cool *kitten*.

• Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group @pnrbor !

This is easy for me, I just had to copy my flash card:

I am an avid diver and I want to be able to carry my heavy set to remote diving spots.
    I want to feel good at the gym, both in looks and performance
    Be as fit as I can now but also later. At 53 I see friends and colleagues starting to slow down and I want to be able to dive as long as I can.
    Wear all my clothes comfortably.

Yes, there are some esthethic reasons but it is mainly to stay strong and healthy as I get older.
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight because I had a health scare last year and losing weight resolved all of that. My mother is obese/morbidly obese and she has gotten to where she can't function hardly at all. Diabetes took part of her foot already. I know she has had many times in her life where she was in a position to take her health back but she didn't and now her life is pretty much just survival mode (thriving is not an option anymore)....I don't want that for me at her age! I was pre-diabetic, obese, had high cholesterol, and my kidneys were not functioning well. I was well on my way to that life. Now that that is all resolved I'm trying to lose more weight because I also want to try for one more baby. So losing more weight is preventative measures on both (not being my mom and pregnancy weight gain) accounts. I am 39 years old and just hit healthy BMI a couple days ago. Time is of the essence!
  • PrincessPrunella
    PrincessPrunella Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have 10 stubborn pounds that I’ve been carrying around for 10 years. My 25 year old scale broke the other day and I took that as a sign that it was time to make some real changes in my diet and exercise regimes. My new wifi compatible scale arrived yesterday and among the many other diagnostic features of this magical, modern and technical device, it calculates body fat! Mine reading was way too high for my liking. Great motivation for change! I’m happy to have found this group that I expect will inspire me to stick to my goals of reaching the weight and achieving better numbers in a few other measures to improve my overall health.
  • milasmith0123
    milasmith0123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i really just want to like myself. i have body dysphoria. i am trying to recover from anorexia and get to a healthy weight i feel comfortable at. it would really just be nice not to hate my body 24/7