Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!

hicim705
hicim705 Posts: 5,862 Member
edited June 2023 in Social Groups
fgx0qz1syq73.png

Plan your 5% Journey by SETTING GOALS. Our previous activity discussed why you are here and what you would like to get out of your 5% Challenge Journey. Please consider your thoughts about that first activity and expand upon those thoughts. Please think about this carefully, it may be the most important plan that you will make for the entire challenge. There are several hundred MFP members who have joined the 5% Challenge and every one of them has a unique reason for wanting to 'become healthy'. Don't look at it as losing weight, although for many, that is the ultimate goal. Think of this as a chapter in your life leading you from where you are now to where you want to be. Think of how you feel today ... think of how you want to look and feel tomorrow. Make a plan, a realistic plan that will help you get to your goal.

You won't be able to visualize what YOUR tomorrow looks like without having a plan in place. Think of your overall plan, then set some goals ~ small measurable goals to help you to. Set goals for small, specific tasks that will give you a sense of accomplishment and will help to motivate you to keep moving forward.

MFP is a site designed toward a healthy lifestyle, so you have already taken one important step in your personal healthy lifestyle journey. Yet, a healthy lifestyle is much more than what you eat or how much you exercise.

Try to think about achieving balance in your life which is necessary to have a healthy lifestyle.
~ Set a specific goal (or goals). Do you want to fit into an outfit that you haven't been able to wear in some time? Do you want to walk around the block effortlessly? Do you want to be able to bend over to tie your shoes? Remember - this is YOUR goal ... YOUR journey ~ give your goal(s) some thought.
~ Once you've decided on your goal(s), give yourself a timeline. For this purpose - you already have a timeline ... the 5% Challenge ~ commit to it! A seasonal challenge lasts 8 weeks. Each week consists of 7 days. 7 days X 8 weeks = 56 days. 56 days from beginning to end. What can YOU accomplish in 56 days?
~ WHY? Ask yourself this simple, but VERY important question. WHY are you doing this? Give this simple question some serious thought. There is no right or wrong answer to YOUR why, but be honest with the answer.
~ EXERCISE? Make an appointment to do it and put it in whatever calendar you use. Treat it as a doctor's appointment or an appointment to have your hair done. Create this appointment and stick to it ~ make it a priority. Consider a 30-minute workout at lunch time, 3 days/week or you might want to work out for 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes after work. Whatever time you have carved out for this 'self care' ~ keep this important appointment with yourself.
~ NUTRITION? How will you nourish your body? You can Google anything/everything having to do with weight loss and you will come up with a list of do this and/or don't do that. The list is sure to include: Paleo, Atkins, Keto, Intermittent Fasting and everything in between. Most nutrition-based articles agree: nutrient-dense and well-balanced meals are what you should strive for.

📓Your assignment: Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!

In order for you to make/execute a plan, please also write it down. If you blog, that is an excellent way to record your plan ~ you will also be able to go back to review your writing and reaffirm your commitment to yourself and your healthy lifestyle. If you blog on MFP, please remember to visit: ✍️🖊️📓💻 Seasonal 5% Challenges ~ BLOGGERS!! ✍️🖊️📓💻.
Here is the link: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/143978-️-️-seasonal-5-challenges-bloggers-️-️

Remember to feel proud of each and every day that you 'work your plan', however, if you have a day where you find you stumble, don't dwell on it; pick yourself up; dust yourself off and keep walking toward your goal(s).

Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your goal setting plans for a successful 2023 Spring 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.
ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and Living the Good Life points based on weekly Challenge Themes. You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Friday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮Our individual Spring 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up.

✉️You will be invited to your individual team soon, in enough time to get to know your team leaders and team mates. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers that will be participating right along with you.

📢Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2023 SPRING 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information.

Previous Pre-Challenge Activites (consider reading/participating in one or all of them):
Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT! ℹ️🔠
Here is the link: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10887289/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-1-information-and-your-input-ℹ️#latest

Heidi (hicim705)
Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)

Replies

• Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 13,615 Member
    Done!! Here's the link to my blog on the 5% Challenge Blog group
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10878980/dianedoessmiles1-the-adventures-of-my-life-and-more#latest

TY TY TY TY @Hicim705 for this!! It really does make a difference. This time my plan is newer, and fresher, and I am motivated with a more realistic plan.
  • hicim705
    hicim705 Posts: 5,862 Member
    edited March 2023

In order for you to make/execute a plan, please also write it down. If you blog, that is an excellent way to record your plan ~ you will also be able to go back to review your writing and reaffirm your commitment to yourself and your healthy lifestyle. If you blog on MFP, please remember to visit: ✍️🖊️📓💻 Seasonal 5% Challenges ~ BLOGGERS!! ✍️🖊️📓💻.
    Here is the link: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/143978-️-️-seasonal-5-challenges-bloggers-️-️

Remember to feel proud of each and every day that you 'work your plan', however, if you have a day where you find you stumble, don't dwell on it; pick yourself up; dust yourself off and keep walking toward your goal(s).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I posted the Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity but didn't write about it. I won't blog this activity on its own, but I may do one blog post of all of my writings of the Pre-Challenge Activities. I find that as the years pass, it is more and more difficult to get to a weight that I am comfortable with and to find a plan that works for me.

Truth be told, I think my diet is all over the place. I tried counting calories and got lazy and didn't keep up with it. I tried Keto and loved the food and it actually helped me for awhile, but I truly, TRULY missed fruits and vegetables. I love the cheese & fats that you can eat and threw all caution to the wind and ate them endlessly but didn't pay attention to some of the other things that I was supposed to eat or supposed to avoid. SO - although, I like the idea of Keto - I don't see myself really sticking with it. I think it is back to basics for me. Low carb, low sugar, fresh fruits (in moderation) and veggies) ~ NO (or minimum) breads, pasta, etc. My water intake has suffered as well, so I need to mindfully ensure that I get back to drinking a minimum of 8 - 8oz. glasses per day.

I think when we came over to MFP, nutrition tracking was easier and as they have made some changes on the site, there are things that are more difficult to track ... but I really should get back to using the trackers here to try to figure out where I'm going 'wrong' by tracking each and every morsel that goes past my front teeth (the good, the bad and the ugly-LOL)!!

During my last doctor's visit, I was told that although I'm 'fine', my cholesterol is creeping up in the wrong direction - slowly ... but it is creeping. For me ~ getting back to basics is what I absolutely need to do.

Heidi (hicim705)
    Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,233 Member
    My main goal is to take off at least a few pounds before my oldest son's wedding in May. My knees will thank me!
  • CSEGUIN2
    CSEGUIN2 Posts: 5,635 Member

My goals for this challenge are as follows:

1. I will do my planned walk every day that's not raining. I just can't stand wet feet or walking in rubbers.
    2. I will drink a minimum of 64 oz of water a day.
    3. I will do my best to stay in my calorie range each day.
    4. I will aim for 5 freggies a day. I struggle with this one the most right now.
    5. I will do the workouts planned for each day.

With these goals I will get back on track and reach my ultimate goal for this challenge of losing 5%.
  • LindieMaeP
    LindieMaeP Posts: 5,079 Member
    I blogged this as I need to set my boundaries NOW so I can prepare for the challenge accordingly:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10879310/lindamaep-im-not-lazy-im-on-energy-saving-mode#latest
  • macrat12
    macrat12 Posts: 6,309 Member
    My main goal for this challenge is to finally reach my 5% goal.
  • katiecondy1
    katiecondy1 Posts: 3,908 Member

First and primary goal -get surgery done..stumble thru rehab-hopefully make some of the rehab activities into habits.
    Second-Toss out what does not serve me, either physically, mentally or spiritually. One thing I know I need to wrestle with is my tendency to put me last so that I can make sure everyone else is OK. I need to be OK and I also need to learn that I deserve to be OK.
    Third-I have to quit thinking ..this one time won't matter. Yes it does when it occurs too often. Eating randomly with that idea is self defeating. You cannot out exercise the calories of a fast food burger and fries when they happen too often.
    Further address in my blog....https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10878987/katiecondy1-wandering-about-in-my-mind#latest
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 5,072 Member
    Set some goals, they say! :)

Long Term Goals

Event #1 - 14 weeks @1.3 lbs per week - I could be at 201.
    Event #2 - 30 weeks @1.3 lbs per week - I could be at 180

Targets for this challenge
    Water - Daily Minimum 64 ounces

M-F
    Quantity / When
    16 ounces / On the Drive to Work
    32 ounces / Between 8 - 12 setting alarm for 11:00am to ensure finish by noon
    16 to 32 oz / Between 12 - 4 setting alarm for 3pm to ensure finish by 4:00pm
    16 ounces / On the Drive Home
    This gets me between 80 and 96 ounces per day
    S-S - Weekend tend to be more difficult so I will aim for the 64 minimum
    Every 3 hours - 16 ounces of water consumed between 6am and 6pm
    6-9, 9-12, 12-3, 3-6

Nutrition 80/20 Rule
    Stay on MCD plan 5.6 days per week. Not sure how to do .6 days :)
    Planning and Pre Tracking

Increase Exercise Intensity
    My focus is on nutrition however I will still exercise to keep my body moving.
    On the treadmill of late, I've been hovering at 2.00 mph. Goal is to increase to between 2.5 and 3.00 mph during this challenge.
    I have also joined a step bet game which does motivate me to get steps. My targeted steps are 6,234 (4x per week) and 7,538 (2x per week). My ultimate goal is to get back consistently to 10k per day. For this challenge is to increase my targets by 500 steps each week. That's an increase of 500 steps per day per week.
    Week 1 6,250/7,500
    Week 2 6,750/8,000
    Week 3 7,250/8,500
    Week 4 7,750/9,000
    Week 5 8,250/9,500
    Week 6 8,750/10,000
    Week 7 9,250/10,000
    Week 8 9,750/10,000
  • cormierannie
    cormierannie Posts: 5,277 Member
    some of my goals for this challenge:
    to get in at least 5 servings of freggies every day
    to get in at least 10,000 steps every day
    to keep track of what i eat, drink and the exercise i do
    to drink at least 8 glasses of water every day
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Goals: Optimize my habits
    Hydration - 4 quarts daily, drink it early
    Exercise - get there on time, don't sit in car and git er done
    Fiber + LEAFY GREENS
    Cut off eating 5 pm
  • Retired_Sue
    Retired_Sue Posts: 13,026 Member

1) Lose the few pounds that I want to lose to get to my "Happy place" again - that's about 7-8 pounds
    as of today. I'll do this by hitting my calorie target each day or getting as close as possible.
    2) Be more consistent with my bedtime.
    4) Work on my mindset to see what keeps me from getting to that elusive final goal.
  • micaroo4
    micaroo4 Posts: 3,961 Member

Maintain my weight within my goal weight range of 127-133
    Get back into my ST routine of doing full body workouts 3 days/week
    Walk 13500 steps/day
    Get back to doing high intensity cardio 3-4 days/week (higher intensity than walking)
    When the weather is good commute to work on the bicycle, and ride 10+ miles on my days off (I am not a cold-weather bicyclist, and right now the sun rises too late for bicycling to work)
    Increase my daily servings of freggies to 10/day

-Mica/Mission Slimpossibles
  • amyrob117
    amyrob117 Posts: 90 Member
    • Grown garden veggies to eat in my new healthy meal plan.
    • Listen to interesting Audio Books or Podcasts to and from work daily instead of radio.
    • Do some sort of exercise for 200 minutes per week.
    • Eat veggies three times a day.
    • Try new healthy recipe each week.
    • Spend 15 minutes a day in quiet meditation, prayer and reflection.

• lavalily
    lavalily Posts: 2,405 Member
    Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!
    • Continue maintaining my weight
    • Continue getting to the gym at least 3 times each week
    • Work on my new food plan (eliminate wheat and eat more fresh freggies)
    • Walk more in my neighborhood using my walker to strengthen my left leg
  • 1AncientSage
    1AncientSage Posts: 2,234 Member

To improve my diet.
    To build muscle.
    To become my flexible
    To lose weight
    To stop putting myself last ( this is the hardest one)
  • paceka2
    paceka2 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!

My main goal during this challenge is to be able to walk comfortably with my little Daisy beginning at 30 minutes and increasing to 45 minutes daily (with the exception of rain). Because I am only 9 months healed from back surgery I have to wait until the snow and ice are gone - and we got another 10 - 11 inches overnight. Happy April Fool's day! In the meantime I will either do Walk in Place videos or walk on my Treadmill to build up my stamina.

A subset of this goal is to reach 7000 steps daily at the beginning of this challenge and reach 10,000 steps by the end. And do a 45 minute workout at least 4 times per week.

I also want to include more protein in my diet and add fruits and/or vegetables to every meal.

There are so many more goals that I have in mind because I've not been able to do very much over the past year but these are the most important
  • diannemt
    diannemt Posts: 2,699 Member
    edited April 2023
    Your assignment: Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!
    Goal 1--get my knee back to 100% (or at least 98%--I want to ski again!)
    Goal 2--get solidly into the 150s again (hitting the 5% would do that)
    Goal 3--enjoy the cruise with my baby daughter (she is turning 30)
    To do this I will: 1. Keep up with the PT and continue the exercises even after PT is done, 2. Avoid as much sugar/processed foods as I can. Eat vegetarian several days a week. Cut back on bread and pasta. Do 7K steps every day unless REALLY rainy/stormy. Do at least 30 minutes of exercise 6 days a week. 3. Enjoy the cruise cuisine BUT have a salad and protein only for lunch. Only eat at meals (except for the food tour we are signed up for!). Keep up with the 7K steps.

Why? I see my mom unable to do things I take for granted. I don't want to be unable to do what I want--at least for another 15 years! And I want to do for myself--moving boxes or whatever!
  • walkintofit
    walkintofit Posts: 4,296 Member

1. Set up veggie garden
    2. Spend minimum of 15 m outside
    3. Stress less
  • Ceriusly1
    Ceriusly1 Posts: 6,235 Member

1. Get up early, which means keep working on my bedtime routine
    2. Wog (walk/jog) in place for 10 minutes as soon as I get out of bed. On December 20, 2009, I was at my highest weight, I worked too many hours and was very depressed. I literally rolled off my bed onto the floor that morning because I couldn't sit up in the bed. I was scared. I had been invited to join Spark People and had read Chris Downie's story so I got myself to my feet and started walking in place. I didn't do 10 minutes that first day but when I stopped walking I immediately joined Spark People. I'm not in a bad place now like I was then but I am finding it hard to get back into exercising. So I'm getting that morning Wog in so I am ready to do my hill walk when it gets a bit warmer.
    3. Increase fiber, lots of freggies

Those are the goals for now.
  • MidlifeCrisis78
    MidlifeCrisis78 Posts: 1,174 Member
    My goal is to lose weight.

Exercise daily.
    Drink water.
    Count the calories.

Repeat.
  • marg750me
    marg750me Posts: 3,443 Member
    My goals

Finally lose 8lbs
    Eat much healthier meals
    Walk 8000-10000 steps a day
    Eat fruit for snacks
  • Chubbynomore10
    Chubbynomore10 Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited April 2023
    My Goals

To Keep Exercising In Some Capacity no matter what situations may arise. At Sparkpeople I hurt my knee several years ago and had to "sway" away the calories for a couple of weeks, LOL. Just to keep moving!

To not eat any junk food and 95% whole foods, while controlling my salt intake.

To keep my fiber intake high (40-50g daily) and my water intake high (at least 80 ounces daily)

To pre-plan my meals as it keeps me from impulse eating to know what I am eating beforehand.
    I usually have 3 tasty recipes that I eat at some time every day, and then when I tire of them, I find 3 more to replace them. I have just added a fourth and it is yummy, too!

I have to get my waist down to 32" to be healthy. I carry my weight in the middle and gain there first and lose there last. I have lost everywhere else and am down to the waist now....I look like an egg on two toothpicks....even though my BMI is in the healthy range. I need to lose 5" in my waist to reach that goal. My thigh is 18" calf 12.5" my wrist is less than 6" so it has to go from my waist now. Realistically, maybe I can lose 2" this challenge. That will be my goal in that area. My ultimate goal is to lose 10" in my waist so it will be 27".

As for my weight, I want to be whatever weight I need to be to feel really good. It has been so long since I was at my perfect weight that I have no idea what that weight is now. I am shorter now than I was the last time I was at that weight and honestly I don't even know what I weighed then. Staying lean was effortless then. Those were the good old days.
  • tjharleygal55
    tjharleygal55 Posts: 583 Member
    edited April 2023
    Wow, great question! What are my goals for this 5% challenge?
    Dh and I are attending a formal wedding in Scotland in 25 days from today and I want to feel more comfortable in my dress. What is more important than that is I keep moving toward these goals even after Scotland! So, I am actually glad that the challenge will still be on when I return home.

My Goals:

1. Lose my 5% weight by the end of the challenge.
    HOW? A) Planning my meals the day b/f, making sure they fit my calorie goals. B) In addition to teaching my 2 strengthening classes each week, add a 3rd day, either Fri. or Sat. C) Schedule more aerobic exercises into my week, by looking at my calendar each Sunday and writing them in! (At least 4 days/week) D) Keep doing the steps challenge that @deskjocky925 started during this past IBC.

2. Keep my “Coffee With God” my priority each morning.
    HOW? A) I will not look at distractions (ie. texts, emails, etc) when I wake up before my time with God. (If I do, they get in the way.) B) I will make sure I enforce my sleep schedule at night, so that I will get up earlier enough to not have to rush/skip my scheduled time in devotion.

3. Eat More Freggies.
    HOW? A) While planning meals, make sure to buy more fresh veggies and fruits at the store to have around the house. Maybe try a new veggie/week?
    B) Keep veggies/fruit prepped and ready to eat. C) Plan at least 2 freggies at lunch & dinner, in addition to snacks.
  • Ceriusly1
    Ceriusly1 Posts: 6,235 Member
    bump up