Active April 2023 Challenge

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
It's Active April folks.
The word "active" is a loaded word.
Not only can it apply to exercise, but it can also mean "characterized by action rather than by contemplation or speculation."

Time to get fit or act on your goals whatever they may be.
Increase your NEAT, do one of the bazillion YouTube vids and workout streaming services, hit the gym, enjoy the weather and walk or hike (whenever it's actually nice in the Spring, easier said than done!) And for non-exercise goals, start actively pursuing them as best you can with what you have to work with. Don't let "perfect" be the enemy of "better". Improvements, even if they're slight or baby steps, are still progress.

We can do this!
No need to make your "heart gargle in your throat." Unless that's what you're into. ;) Or to win all the life trophies.
Active April is about making your goal an improvement in your fitness or life. As Elizabeth Benton always says, "Whatever constitutes an improvement for YOU. Do that."

So whether you want to train for a 5k or 10k, sleep better, get more serious about logging, start HIITing your head off, or just start exercising, period, it's all good.
If your exercise is already on-point, but you'd like to increase your daily NEAT burn, that's a great target as well. (What is NEAT, consult this thread from which I have been inspired: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1)

Go ahead and post your goals.
Update us daily and receive encouragement, workout suggestions, and support from your compatriots in the challenge.
Go get it! Make change!

Replies

• raenright
    raenright Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My goals for April:
    - stick with Keto (my focus is staying under 10% and under 50g)
    - drink minimum 2L water per day
    - no alcohol (I went no alcohol after dry Jan and I just find my energy levels and control of my weight is so much easier without drinking, miss my wine though so a glass on my birthday mid-April is still def going yo happen :) )
    - walk walk walk (the dog approves this goal)
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    CW 169.5 Happy dance I got back under 170
    GW 165 For April I'd like to see if intermittent fasting 16:8 and increased activity can get me there

I just bought a gel seat cover for my indoor bike to remove my excuse for not using it. Increasing my daily steps is also on my 'to do' list.

Tentative plan-
    Sunday group fitness class
    Monday strength and indoor bike
    Tuesday walking
    Wed strength
    Thursday spin class at the gym
    Friday strength
    Sat rest (chores and grocery shopping, who are we kidding with 'rest')
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    My name is Mary, 65 from Pennsylvania. I'm a RN and work long days. Logging in everyday since I started MFP 5/14/21.
    Unfortunately lost my mojo and gained a lot back but not all Thank God! Need to get back on track and focused.

Heaviest weight 255 lbs, twice. :-(
    9/14/20-255 lbs
    5/14/21-232.2 lbs MFP start date.
    4/6/22- 147.6 lbs (107.4 lbs lost) I did NOT have a surgery. Did Keto.
    8/1/22- 167.2 lbs
    12/1/22-198 lbs
    1/1/23- 213.4 lbs
    2/1/23- 207.4 lbs
    3/1/23- 201 lbs
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Looking good!
    mine remains - eat enough, stop at enough, eat less as stable & able
    -- 2ndary -- stay within macro carb limits/track & include 20m+ intentional movement.

funny ideers for 2morrow as we get started

bh74mswsa8fe.jpg

ije9idxrv3lu.jpg

• swimmom_1
    Options
    LifeChangz wrote: »
    Looking good!
    mine remains - eat enough, stop at enough, eat less as stable & able
    -- 2ndary -- stay within macro carb limits/track & include 20m+ intentional movement.

funny ideers for 2morrow as we get started

bh74mswsa8fe.jpg

ije9idxrv3lu.jpg

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!! :#
  • lucydarrah
    lucydarrah Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks Baconslave and hello to everyone participating in the challenge. I am Lucy from Minnesota and work as a school nurse. Most of my job is sedentary and I am hoping to find ways to get myself motivated to remain on Keto (restarted yesterday). I weigh 180 and am 5'3" My goal for April is to get comfortably back into my size 18 clothes. My 18's still fit but some things are snug so I wear a lot of loose tunics. I did well on keto about a year ago and was surprised at the inches it took off. However, once fall came around and then the holidays brought too many enticing treats I gave up and have gained 15 pounds. I do have 2 cheat day coming up, the first is actually tomorrow since I am invited to a friends house for dinner and she is a fabulous cook and baker. I still have enough motivation to get back on track on the 2nd. My second cheat day is Easter with family in WI I haven't seen in a few years. If I prepare for those days and don't go overboard and maintain keto the rest of the month I think I will still reach my goal for the month. Hope to hear from the rest of you soon!
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    @lucydarrah Welcome. This is a good group and we all have our struggles at times. I, myself, am struggling to get back on my keto regime that I was on before that I did extraordinarily well on. It's tough.
  • lucydarrah
    Options
    Thanks. I just stocked up on my keto foods. I never purchase the additional Keto powders or solutions as I have found that I can still lose weight without them. I plan to do even 5 minutes of exercise this evening even if it is just walking up and down my steps to get a little "work out"
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    My plan for April is to consistently be active in planning meals so I don’t resort to bad decision making. I’ll keep logging (even the days I’m not feeling it) and prioritize protein to keep snacking at bay. I started cycle syncing mid March so plan to keep this up as well. I haven’t dropped any weight since January so this is the month ( in March I gained and lost the same 3 stupid pounds).
  • LifeChangz
    edited April 2023
    Options
    hi @lucydarrah ~ welcome :)

the holidays are some of my 'special occasions' days too - the feast, then back to regular foods/regular days.

i also prefer to just use real foods - but i do use protein bars, protein & peanut powders and other convenience packages/foods as part of my regular eating right now while we are in a motel with a tiny fridge, microwave & crockpot. we have to shop more frequently - and small sizes - like the little 5.3 oz plain greek yogurt instead of a quart size... i do bagged salads instead of the fresh heads of lettuce and all the fixings... and i use some pre-cooked meats like rotisserie chicken and lunch meats, cheeses for go to proteins...

for the holidays - i tend to take something I can eat... mostly no one eats it, so i end up with leftovers.... taking deviled eggs for Easter.

sutw6z5wt85q.jpg
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    My name is Mary, 65 from Pennsylvania. I'm a RN and work long days. Logging in everyday since I started MFP 5/14/21.
    Unfortunately lost my mojo and gained a lot back but not all Thank God! Need to get back on track and focused.

9/14/20-255 lbs
    8/1/22- 167.2 lbs
    12/1/22-198 lbs
    1/1/23- 213.4 lbs
    2/1/23- 207.4 lbs
    3/1/23- 201 lbs

4/1/23- 207.6 lbs. :-( Struggling lately.

• LifeChangz
    Options
    @swimmom_1 ~ hang in - i always struggle going into the candy holidays - the tv ads really trigger the habit urges - combine that with any stress - i swear i struggle every 3 to 6 weeks - hope you find a way to push through and get back on a roll again!!! (hugs)
  • swimmom_1
    Options

9/14/20-255 lbs
    8/1/22- 167.2 lbs
    12/1/22-198 lbs
    1/1/23- 213.4 lbs
    2/1/23- 207.4 lbs
    3/1/23- 201 lbs

4/1/23- 207.6 lbs. :-( Struggling lately.
    4/2/23- 209 lbs. I need to get my head right and be more accountable to myself in this. I need to get back in control and off the carbs again. Back to my lower level of daily carbs(15g net +/- 3) and FOCUSED on what is best for me! Not short term enjoyment. Elliptical HIIT setting 150 minutes for 10.11 miles today (I do my elliptical like this 3x per week, on my off work days pretty religiously. Thursday, Friday & Sunday this week).

@LifeChangz Thank you I needed that!
  • lucydarrah
    Options
    Mary - I hear ya about the motivation and good for you doing the elliptical!
    Lifechangz - wow, sounds like you are being very resourceful with food choices while staying at the motel.
    taylok23 - yep, I agree, keep logging no matter how the day went! Sometimes I cringe when entering my food!

I did do a cheat day yesterday when I was invited to a friends house for dinner but now I am trying to maintain some sense of compliance until at least Easter Sunday. I seriously need those days to look forward to or I would not make it. My goal after that is to make it until Mother's day.

I should know the answer to this question but how much protein can I have in a day? I know about limiting the carbs to only 20% ( pretty simple to figure that out) and eating more healthy fats but I always struggle with perhaps getting too much protein. The low carb foods such as eggs, fish and cheese always have a lot of protein as well. What are you all doing? I am 5'3" and weight 180. Thanks
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    lucydarrah wrote: »

I should know the answer to this question but how much protein can I have in a day? I know about limiting the carbs to only 20% ( pretty simple to figure that out) and eating more healthy fats but I always struggle with perhaps getting too much protein. The low carb foods such as eggs, fish and cheese always have a lot of protein as well. What are you all doing? I am 5'3" and weight 180. Thanks

Correct me someone if I'm wrong but I think they used to say 0.8-1 gram for each lb of your goal weight. So 120 lbs would be 96-120 grams of Protein/day.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,686 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Staying low-carb except for a relapse of rice cakes and pnut butter yesterday; but even I'd pulled out the honey but managed to leave it out, so a small win.

Increasing my metabolism is a big goal right now. Today we had a break in the rain but I had to choose between gardening and walking, not having the strength for both. Gardening won and my back is declaring a hard fought battle won.
    • Low carb / healthy fat & protein
    • Reduced calories
    • Mindfullness
    • Activity
    • Water to offset coffee
    • No alcohol at home
    • Lose weight
  • lucydarrah
    Options
    Thanks Swimmom. I am happy with a weight goal of 150 pounds at this point but I am going to go slow and be sensible so even to get out of the 170's would be a win for me. I am at 179 this evening.

PaulaKro - good for you with the gardening. I hope your back is feeling better.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Weather is improving, time to start planning my veggie garden as well.

4/1-4/7
    Saturday - 40 min walk with a friend ✔
    Sunday - Chores ✔
    Monday - strength and indoor bike on deck
    Tuesday - walking planned
    Wednesday - strength planned (volunteering at the food bank so that should work)
    Thursday - spin class at the gym planned
    Friday - strength planned
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I had in laws over for lunch Saturday so did did eat some carbs and have found that dairy just really isn’t agreeing with me these days. Yesterday I mindlessly ate graham crackers and my knees and hips are paying for it this morning so I have to remember these repercussions the next time I think about going off plan. Back at it today!!