Introduction ☺️

Options
BeatlesGirl20
BeatlesGirl20 Posts: 15 Member
Hello all,

My name is Katie and I love to hike, run, swim, kayak, and travel. I am currently looking for some friends to share my health and wellness journey with. After being diagnosed with Classical EDS in 2020 I started to take my overall health a lot more seriously. I've lived with chronic pain my entire life but when I was a child I was told it was "growing pains" and when I reached my mid-20s I was told it was "anxiety". It took me over 10 years of searching to try and find out what was wrong with me and actually be diagnosed. If anyone is currently struggling with their diagnosis or with doctors I'm here to lend an ear.

After being diagnosed I felt like it was extremely easy to just give up. Just to accept that one day I wouldn't be able to walk anymore because my joints would be so loose. To give up and just enjoy any foods that I wanted no matter how much pain I was in because of my poor diet. Then one day I woke up and the defiant stubborn part of myself said "nope not today death". So here I am 4 years after having that morning where I decided my fate is completely within my control and mindset.

I have worked extensively with physical therapists, cardiologists, dietitians, and sports medicine doctors to get where I am today. Currently I'm working on a recomposition to build the muscles around my joints to keep them stable. I was told 5 years ago that my heart was going to give out. I was told 4 years ago that I would be wheelchair-bound by the time I was 40. Here I am 35 and training for my first 5K.

What I would absolutely love is to build a community on MFP to offer support and advice from people who are going through what I went through and also to gain some insight, validation, and knowledge from people that have gone through what I haven't.

Life is too short to accept what people tell you who you are. Be the change you want to see you. Accept the things you can't change. Be the joy you want to see another people.
Tagged: