Where Am I Going Wrong?

Options
dmorton_11
dmorton_11 Posts: 4 Member
edited April 2023 in Social Groups
I started in mid late February 2023 at 169 lbs. I'm 68, diabetic and I believe eat healthy. Daily I sometimes have to have a snack to hit over 1000 calories daily & I do some light weight strength training/stretches plus a Silver Sneaker exercise video or two a day. I drink a little or no sugar Atkins or Splenda Shake daily for the calories & vitamins etc. Lunch is green leaf lettuce, melons or berries with a hard boiled egg. Snack zero sugar Chobani yogurt. Dinner is usually 1-2 oz sometimes 3 oz chicken, pork or shrimp with veggies (non starch) or sweet baked potato. I am down a lb sometimes 2 lbs 2 months in. Daily I see that if I keep this up in 5 weeks I will weigh 159-160. It has never happened. Any suggestions?

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Are you extremely petite? If so, you're probably not eating anywhere near enough. I cannot speak to diabetic diets, only generalized rules, but you sound reasonably active, you're not particularly light, so less than 1200 calories a day is extremely low. Adding in perhaps a higher quality protein shake another time during the day, and some extra protein at your lunch might help.

Again, I do NOT know diabetic diets, so you may need to work with a nutritionist to help you identify ways to get your body the nutrition it needs, but doing so safely for where your condition is and how it responds to things.
  • dmorton_11
    Options
    I'm 5'6 & maybe will add more protein. I was thinking to eat less but will eat more per your suggestion. I appreciate the response
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    The other issue may be your tracking....are you including everything you consume and weighing it raw/pre-cooked? Entering every drink, lick, morsel, taste? It is not uncommon for someone to track *most* things, or their main meals, but then miss a day when they are traveling or forget to enter that snack/dessert/treat from a coworker, often undoing all the other work they've done. One snack can often contain several hundred if not more calories, or a meal out may contain hundreds of hidden calories one isn't accounting for. Just another thought.

To give a reference, I'm younger than you (44), and a fair bit more active, but similar height (5' 7") and weigh less (150) and I eat around 1800-2000 kcal/day.
  • 5bhx2hjrby
    5bhx2hjrby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve been on for about 7 weeks. I started at 180 and barely stay at 177. I usually bike 20 minutes or air stepper everyday and usually 5 days out of the week do 30 minutes if dumbbells. I haven’t lost since the 3rd week! I’m trying to get to 169 or 170. I just recently went to 1000 calories 2 weeks ago but I can’t maintain that. It said in the beginning with 1200 calories with my exercise I would lose 2 pounds a week hasn’t happened. Help
  • dmorton_11
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Thanks for the replies & yes I measure everything either from the protein shakes labels etc to using a measuring spoon for dressings, etc. I have no problem with barely hitting the 1,000 calories since some of my medications decrease wanting to eat large portions & not giving in to cravings. I'm reluctant to eat more calories good ones at that because I did for a few nights & I gained a lb? I'm now thinking where can I drop the extra fat that seems to come with (good foods) but lower or very low sugar & carbs for controlling my diabetes. I did go through a 3 day program for my sugar that included a registered nutritionist/dietitian for lots of meal plans & eat this not that type of suggestions. Sometimes I wonder if I have that insulin resistance that is promoted for dieters to use Golo, etc. Has anyone went that route?
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic, you really should gain your diet knowledge from a registered dietitian, not from the nets. I urge you to get an appointment before you do some damage to your health. You did a 3 day program, but you still have a lot of questions and they should be addressed by a professional.
    Barely hitting 1.000Kcals is a recipe for malnutrition, something dangerous for everyone, certainly for T1D. But the fact that you say you use a spoon already gives an inkling into the possibility that you are not tracking correctly what you eat. You really should use a kitchen scale and weigh everything in grams.

@5bhx2hjrby: 2 pounds a week is a very aggressive loss. Try to go the slow route, you will get there anyways but in a healthy way. And 1.000kcals is way too low.

Please seek the help of a pro dietician.

Here's a thread of what can happen if you eat too little: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10761904/under-1200-for-weight-loss/p1